The Spirit of Giving XIV

Lucid dreaming on little sleep?

Author  Message 
Bluehope
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Lucid dreaming on little sleep?
PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2012  Reply with quote

So I just started school again and I really can't afford to sleep more than 6 hours with the amount of work I have,but when I'm this tired I tend to just sleep so deeply I can't even remember my ND's when I wake up. I have impressions of dreams but no actual recall, nothing of substance that I can actually record in my DJ. Can you still have LD's on little sleep? I know that they'd be short LD's due to shortened REM periods, but it should still be possible, right...?

Current LD goal(s): Eat a chocolate cake

Last edited by Bluehope on Mon 16 Apr, 2012; edited 1 time in total
dB_FTS
Traveler
cookie lover
dB_FTS has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 118

Well I don't have any direct advice but I would suggest to sleep at least 8 hours. Not because of dreams but because your body just needs it, it's the medical fact. I think there shouldn't be anything that you put before your own health!

About recalling dreams. I know what you mean. Sometimes when you are tired you just don't have a will or intention to remember dreams. It's hard to pay attention on them while not being over exhausted let alone when you're tired.

But my guess is as long as you keep and intention to recall dreams and becoming lucid you will with time. Even if you do sleep only 6 hours I would suggest WBTB. It could be only 5 minutes but raising your consciousness and intention upon awaking and then going to sleep must raise your chances of becoming lucid!

Current LD goal(s): #Find/Meet Dream Guide#
Bluehope
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

8 hours of sleep would be an absolute dream grin

I find I remember a general theme sometimes, or just a single freeze frame from the ending of my dream. It's just this strange hunch, really.

Thank you! I'll definitely try that, I haven't attempted WBTB before. I've been going to sleep using the MILD technique, but the last few days I've been too tired to actually really mean my mantra and I end up just reciting it in my head with no real intent.

Current LD goal(s): Eat a chocolate cake
Kache
Brownie Eater
Somniologist
LD count: 10

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2012  Reply with quote

Sometimes I sleep really late and those are the days where I have very bad recall. It's just me though, may vary for others.

Current LD goal(s): Have an adventure, have a conversation with DCs
Svenshinhan
Dream Walker
Dream Deity
Svenshinhan has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2012  Reply with quote

In the past I have had lucid dreams on very little sleep (as little as 3 hours). But if I sleep little over an extended period of time, my dreaming tends to suffer horribly).

Usually the day AFTER I sleep very little, my dreams are very vivid and intense.

Current LD goal(s): To expand the world of Silverwind City in my lucid dreams!
Chat Mods
LD count: 13

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2012  Reply with quote

Actually lack of sleep doesn't cause shortened REM periods, but longer ones. It's called REM Rebound. Probably also in part an explanation for Svenshinhan's experiences with the night after. As has been said though, sleep deprivation is probably not a good idea. It will affect your bodies natural cycles and it's unlikely to help you focus or produce your best work in the long run either.

Current LD goal(s): Become a Dragon! RAWR!

print