Listening to music while sleeping

thanks, i will try it

It’ll be safe if you turn the volume down to a very low level. But otherwise…

Are you asking whether you will hear the music in your dreams or something after you have fallen asleep? Personally, I can’t sleep with music going unless I’m extremely tired - it just keeps me awake. Even though you don’t wish to induce a LD it may have some influence on your dreams, though as others have already stated, it’s going to vary from person to person. The music you mentioned, The Offspring and Green Day would definitely keep me wide awake- LOL - but some gentle meditation music could allow me to drift off a bit. I’m a light sleeper - if you are a heavy sleeper you could possibly sleep through it.

Even though you aren’t trying to induce a LD, A few years ago I tried setting up ‘silent’ files on my computer - an mp3 with no sound that goes for about 3-4 hours and then a recorded message, done by myself, would kick in saying: you are dreaming, you are dreaming, over and over but with no success. I haven’t tried this for a while and you’ve got me thinking about it again so maybe I’ll modify that idea a bit and have another go at it :smile:

That’s a good idea. I’m going to try this is the near future. =D Thanks.

You’re welcome. I’ll give it another go soon too and maybe we can compare notes - who knows, something new may come from it! I love experimenting with different ideas. Cheers :smile:

i´m going to use MUSE songs, they are slow/er/ and not that /much :happy:/ explosive as GD and offspring, and like their style :whistle: :colgate:

I’m sleeping with music for over a decade now. And not some gentle tunes to drift away, punk mostly, gogol bordello last few days for instance. Also, pc in my room is turned on 24/7 so that makes additional noise (and that isn’t very silent either).
I have no problem at all falling asleep, even when not home in my bed.

Maybe a bit off-topic but I don’t want to create a new one either.

There are two ways in which music and dreams are connected in my life.

1. Sometimes I hear songs as HH-s. But what’s interesting, some of the songs I am sure I have never heard in my life. I have a reliable memory and I guess I would know if I have heard a track before. And the music is as loud and vivid as a normal HH. Does anyone else have this kind of HH?

2. In WL, I always have a song stuck in my head. I rarely do while sleeping. But once I heard BEP “Meet Me Halfway” in a dream. And not so surprisingly the whole BEP was there as DC-s. Sadly one of them tried to stab me with a long knife. Anyways, it was really interesting for me.

Interesting post rKangas - and your first one! Welcome :smile: I also always have a tune in my head IRL - the condition is called “earworms” - yes, there’s a label for it - LOL :smile: Like you,I rarely have them in my dreams either, or at least haven’t noticed them. I don’t have musical HHs but wished I did. As a musician I like it when I do have a “dream song” come to me and have had a few good snippets that I’ve been able to incorporate into songs. Incidentally, maybe you know that the song Yesterday by Paul McCartney came to him in a dream! How long do the HHs last for you? is it like a whole tune? I’ve had only a few audio HHs and they were very short-lived as they usually snap me back to fully awake - would love to have more. Interesting stuff though :smile:

Thanks for the congrats.

The tunes are not long, only a few verses, but they are as clear as they would be when listened through headphones. I’m thinking that they may be songs I have heard only once without paying attention and they have memorised themselves automatically. If this is the case, then I am surprised how much hidden information a brain really can contain. I’ll have to look into it.

I listen, well have to due to habit now, to all types of music, tho its usually down tempo/calm. Hell, its called my Calm mix :happy: I use it to fall asleep to but never thought about what it could do to any attempts to lucid dream/recall my dreams. I also wake up to loud kinda annoying (Billy Talent) music (tho it takes a few mins for me to actually wake up most of the time :meh:). I shall now see if I can use the musics as a jumping off point for lucid dreaming/recall of dreams :happy:

Cool Ephraim, let us know how you go. Are you planning to use a MILD to trigger a LD with the music? That would be one approach. The fact that it takes you a few mins to wake up is a possible tool in itself…though it might mean that you will have only short LDs due to waking up by the music eventually. Then again, maybe you can override the music from inside the LD itself, would no doubt take some practice. Have fun :smile:

I’ve had that too, Rkanga. I heard this techno music that I was pretty sure I had never heard in my life. It was clear and loud HH.

Hey Kache and rKangas, is there anything that you can think of that may have triggered or preceded the music HHs? It would be interesting to know if there might be a way to induce it somehow…just wondering :smile:

I’ve asked mattias as well about HH music but neither of us has a way to induce it at will. It just comes by chance.

Probably it can be heard, like all other things concerning dreams, when your intention is strong enough but that’s not very helpful I guess.

Sweet dreams

I’m most interested in audio HH prior to actual dreaming, like when just drifting off to sleep and entering REM. I use HI in this way to catch dreams as I’m falling asleep so as to enter into a LD from the wake state (as in WILD). I have just started (last night) to try and induce a song in my dreams which I would say is not HH but simply a product of dreaming. In one dream last night I was writing out lots of verses but no music, and I can’t recall anything I wrote either…more work needed for sure - haha :wink: So I’m not sure if we are talking about the same phenomenon. Are your audio HHs pre-dream or in dream?

Cheers, and thanks for your replies :smile:

My HH music is definitely pre-dream. Just few days ago I heard some blurry verses. In my case I guess it is connected with how much music I listen WL and how much I concentrate on the lyrics and beat.

The music I hear in dreams is the same I listen to when awake.

Sorry that I can’t help you with actual advice.

Sweet dreams,
Raul

Thanks for clarifying that - I was on track then :smile: Maybe as you say it’s the quantity of, and focus on, the music that you listen to IWL - that makes sense. It may also be that some folk are ‘wired’ to experience audio HH whereas others aren’t or would have to work at it a lot to experieince them on any sort of regular basis. I’m going to look into this more and find out as much as I can about it. Cheers :smile:

On that day I was listening to a 2 hour techno mix for the whole day. In class, at home, everywhere and all the time.

It does make sense that saturating yourself with music in that way might produce the HH effect. It seems that you both have the ability to trigger HHs by listening to large volumes of music. Thanks for the info that’s really helpful :smile: