Hand method

Well, no luck last night, although I did have vivid dreams, in none of them was I aware of my hands. I think I’ll keep at it until I successfully induce a lucid dream using this technique.

Sorry for bumping this, but I have a question.

When i try this method, I cant fall asleep. Do anyone have any advice for me? I tried yester for two hours, but I just could’nt fall asleep.

Oftentimes I have noted that when I can’t fall asleep it is because I am thinking abut going to sleep, I get that thought that says “Yay, I almost asleep” and that wakes me up again. I don’t know if thats your problem but perhaps it will help.

As for the method…it seems okay but very much like a reality check type method, it is easy to do and should yield occasional LD’s although I’m not sure you could LD at will with it.

Ok, I’ll se tonight if it helps. Thank you! ^^

i tried this 3 nights in a row but it didnt work…i followed all the steps…maybe i should try this with WBTB.

The problem with this technique, for me at least, is that you have to observe your hands in the first place, and then you have to actually register that something is wierd. I never register such things, as evidenced when the heaters started to bleed in my school.

I am really starting to understand the power of wanting to have a ld but not wanting it too much. Before I go to bed I simply look at my hands and say something about having a ld. I only do this once and then off to bed. This has worked two nights in a row and a number of times in the past.

1 Like

All those methods don’t work immediatly. Just keep up with it. It’s very simple to know if you make progress, cause you’ll see more and more hands in your dreams.

Patarak, you don’t have to notice that your hands transform or anything else. It’s just viewing your hands in a dream that makes you lucid. It’s not a RC method.

Is there a reason that our hands remind us we are dreaming or is it based only on telling yourself that they will?

I had my 3rd lucid dream last night but lost lucidity when a negative feeling arose in me and jolted me out of my sleep. I think I’ll try the hand technique next time…

Also, I know this is off topic but has anyone experienced going through a portal quite some time before becoming lucid? Does it have any significance?

It’s almost a fact that your hands never look normal in your dreams. They are often really deformed and sometimes blurry, so if you look at your hand in your dream you will notice that it is totally f**ked up :happy:

ye i almost always have 6 or 7 fingers on each hand xD

Actually my hands look absolutely normal in dreams. When I had my first LD, then my hands were really bizarre, but after that they’ve looked normal.

It’s not related to the odd appearance of your hands (as I said it just 5 posts above :tongue:). By the way, they often look strange in LD’s, yet rarely in prelucid dreams (from my own experience, perhaps not true for everybody).

The technique is based upon focusing dream attention, that is bringing more of your daylife attention into dreams. Moreover, it’s interesting cause you can see your progress through the numbers of hands you see in your ND’s or prelucid dreams. :happy:

Thats wierd… read about the way getting lucid through the concentration on the switch for the light and developed it to concentration on hands… now found this … it existed for a long time… there is an another thought… what I do is the following: I write “are you dreaming ?” on both of my hands and put a cross on back side as a reminder, concentate on the written, if you look at your hands and there is no writing - you are dreaming, if there is a writing, read it again… surprised… it probably changed.
Though I never became lucid through this, but I consider it a strong help to become lucid, combine with WBTB everything… looks like it is the best way…
Rc’s dont work for me at all, I just understand that I am dreaming… coolest thing … Good luck all of you.

The hand method works well for stabilizing dream awareness. Most of the time if you are dreaming, your hands will appear wavy and half-dissolving. However this is more effective if you are already lucid.

For a while I was using a RC method that consisted of pulling your finger to see if it will stretch. One time I was sure I was dreaming, so I performed the finger-pulling reality check. It didn’t stretch, so I decided that it wasn’t a dream after all. When I woke up, I was disappointed that the RC actually failed me and caused me to waste a potential LD.

The link seems to be broken can you post it?

Ive never been able to get the hand method to work for me. I tried it for two weeks with no results.

The original link seems to be broken. Is this it?

Yes, it is. But the first poster, Yang, is not here anymore thus she won’t edit her message. Perhaps a mod may restore the broken link?

Anyhow, the “hand method” is a rather good method for inducing LD’s. It’s quite not used nowadays but many years ago, it has even been used in scientific research, by Pr Antonio Zadra in a sleep laboratory in Montreal, Canada.

Moreover looking at your hands in your dreams will show useful for many things: it may be used as a RC, as a lucidity booster or for stabilizing dream awareness as aaudraa says above. So I think it’s an interesting technique for a beginner.

Also, in Carlos Castaneda’s The Art of Dreaming, finding one’s hands in a dream is the first gate in several gates of dreaming that Castaneda has to pass. Just an interesting note on the topic. :smile: