EN \ NL \ FR
Current Wings Quest 124
The Spirit of Giving XIII
print ShareShare 

Character Assisted Lucid Dreaming...CALD part VIII

Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 11 of 12Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Author  Message 
Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer
Leijona has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Posts: 423
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Last Visit: 27 May 2014
LD count: 90
 
PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2012  Reply with quote

Oh God, BlueGecko, now I came here to respond to your long post only to see that you added another long part! (Iron gives you a rechterduim omhoog met knipoog for your post) Nice to see that you managed to repair your invisibility cloak's lurk mode though!

So first about my own characters: There's not so much to talk about, except for the fact that my relationship to Gan is back to normal, a written conversation (4 pages o.O) did the trick (I'm thinking about doing more of them). The argument I had with Gan was way more serious and offensive (on Gan's part) than it may seem to be in my last post, and again the solution was provided by another MC, Kubiku somehow managed to pour oil on troubled water.

I'm still not done reading through the CALD threads, it's time to get this done.
Quote:
I wasn't completely confident that Scout and Snowbird were 100% complete (yeesh, I take a long time with these things), and since I wasn't giving them nearly as much attention as I ought to have been, I figured a new MC could set us even further back.
I thought the same way before I created Sheela, but it turned out good I think. While Sheela is nowhere near complete (at least that's how I see it) her presence wasn't at the expense of my other MCs. smile

Aha, now we finally know the story about Snowbird's amnesia! So...is she now back to being the old Snowbird, or did her personality change?

Quote:
Also, I used to be able to know what they were going to say an instant before they said it, and while that still happens sometimes, they actually manage to throw a response that I wasn't specifically expecting quite a lot.
Well, you've got to this point faster than I did then. I think that my characters are very idependent by now and I'd like to think that all what they're saying actually are their own thoughts and not something I put into their mouths. Seeing as some of my MCs exist about a half year longer than yours, you seem to have learned faster than I did. ^^

Quote:
Well, I actually sort of did feel like both those thing at once, and was kind of reluctant to post on the CALD thread (or a lot on the character chats) because, well, I wasn't sure where I was on the board myself.
But that's what the CALD thread is for, right? To talk about one's problems and ask for opinions, help ect. Regarding the Chat, it's the best thing that happened to me and my characters, I think developing and keepig in touch with them especially when I don't have a lot of free time would be very difficult without the Chat. smile



Current LD goal(s): visit an abandoned place
back to top
BlueGecko
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
21
Posts: 68
Joined: 12 Sep 2011
Last Visit: 30 Oct 2012
LD count: Crud.JustSay0
Location: A place called *reads card* "North Aw-mur-EE-kuh." I don't know.
 
PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2012  Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh God, BlueGecko, now I came here to respond to your long post only to see that you added another long part!


Next chapter should be out Monday! Yeah, sorry that both halves of the post were so long. I suppose I accumulated a lot of things I wanted to say in my time away from here, and now I sort of unleashed all those pent up paragraphs I had brewing. And yet I still think I probably forgot some things.

---
You and Gan are cool now? That's good. I've never got into a serious fight with Snowbird or Scout that lasted more than and a few minutes, but I don't think I'd enjoy it a whole lot. Glad you're okay!

Quote:
I thought the same way before I created Sheela, but it turned out good I think. While Sheela is nowhere near complete (at least that's how I see it) her presence wasn't at the expense of my other MCs.


Hm, well if it does work like that, I suppose once they come up with a cure for procrastination, I might consider bringing the unnamed LD-301 (kind of weird having to call it that . . .) back into mindscape. Still, one thing I realized is, I never really thought about its backstory. Sure, Snowbird and Scout's are shaky as leaves, but I still have some idea for them. I reckon a decent idea for that would be good.
Quote:

Aha, now we finally know the story about Snowbird's amnesia! So...is she now back to being the old Snowbird, or did her personality change?


Well, when she didn't have all her memory, she actually seemed a lot more mellow, but, yeah, she's back to her old self now.

Quote:
Well, you've got to this point faster than I did then. I think that my characters are very idependent by now and I'd like to think that all what they're saying actually are their own thoughts and not something I put into their mouths. Seeing as some of my MCs exist about a half year longer than yours, you seem to have learned faster than I did.
Really? See, what happened for my party, was I sort of figured out "Oh yeah, that might be one of my problems. My characters' responses rarely surprise me." Snowbird, who has the habit of reading my thoughts (I suppose that's not something totally realistic for someone to be able to do, Not counting telepaths like Scout, a'course but don't forget, she also gave herself amnesia, and last time I checked, I can't do that. Where was I? Oh yeah, so Snowbird often reads my thoughts if she detects that they're related to her. And hearing about what I thought might have been the problem, decided that since her entire being was directly affected by it, she should to try to fix it.

Half the stuff we said to eachother went sort of like this:

"Hey, Snowbird, (meaningless question)"
"(Meaningless answer) Did that response surprise you?"
"Not really. . . ."
"Oh, okay. . . ."

Um, yep.
Quote:

But that's what the CALD thread is for, right? To talk about one's problems and ask for opinions, help ect. Regarding the Chat, it's the best thing that happened to me and my characters, I think developing and keepig in touch with them especially when I don't have a lot of free time would be very difficult without the Chat.


Yeah, I reckon that would've probably been a lot better and maybe about a month or so faster. I don't know. I suppose I didn't want to bug anyone because I felt like I'd probably have the problem solved tomorrow by myself, and well, didn't want to waste anyone's time. Or something. If you can come up with a valid reason for why I might now have posted here, let me know so I can use it!

---
Yeah, sorry if this post is awkward to read. When I started typing it, my brother turned on a loud movie, and now my brain's sort of fried. . . .*falls over dead*



Current LD goal(s): Have a stable one.
back to top
Kache
Brownie Eater
Somniologist
24
Posts: 141
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Last Visit: 17 Jun 2012
LD count: 10
Location: Saudi Arabia
 
PostPosted: Fri 11 May, 2012  Reply with quote

bump ololol

So I'm starting out with this. Well not really starting out, I've been creating worlds in my head since I was 14. I'm surprised I'm not the only one who does this!

One thing I'd like to say is that whenever I lose touch with this world, I just press the reset button. I think I may have reset it 3-5 times until now. Things always change, but one thing has remained constant, and it's the characters.

*You really don't have to read all this. In fact, it's actually for me to set down some ground rules for the world.*

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


Inko, Rush, Lea, and Mitch have very developed personalities. I haven't ever talked to them directly, though. The problem with this is that in my daydreams, I always act out "Kache". It's like I place myself in him. Kache's personality is very like mine, and maybe he is me. Or maybe I am him ;o

My characters seem like they have lost purpose. I think I'm going to reset this world one last time, but with a twist. Whenever I'll get lucid, I'll take Kache's place and I'll see what happens to the storyline.



Current LD goal(s): Have an adventure, have a conversation with DCs
back to top
W!zzFx LD
Warrior Of Will
Lucid Initiate
1018
Posts: 72
Joined: 16 May 2011
Last Visit: 08 Mar 2013
LD count: Zerah
Location: Spirit Of Oasis
 
PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2012  Reply with quote

hiyo! been looking around CALD posts for awhile and keep seeing people refrenceing MCs IWL. do you talk to them in your mind or are they auctally there for you?(see them.)

Thanks!!



Current LD goal(s): Increase DR
back to top
Eilatan
The Lookout Rogue.
Head Scribe
Eilatan has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
26
Chat Mods
Scribes
Posts: 1697
Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Last Visit: 15 Dec 2018
LD count: 十一
Location: Australia!
 
PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Well, the idea is to talk to them in your mind to get familiar with them. This is the Character Chats Topic in the playground, which exists for people the share their CALD characters and talk to them.


Current LD goal(s): Meet my dream guide

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
back to top
Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer
Leijona has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Posts: 423
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Last Visit: 27 May 2014
LD count: 90
 
PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2012  Reply with quote

@ Kache: It seems like there are actually more people who have "fantasy worlds" than one would think. And I bet most authors have one, too. The reset button thing is interesting...I never completely reset my world, I only change more minor stuff.

@W!zzFX: Additionally to what Eilatan said, you can of course imagine them just like real persons IWL if you're good enough with visualizing things. I did this two, three times before when I was extremely bored, it was nice to do something more than the usual "in-head talking", but I felt a bit schizophrenic doing so.



Current LD goal(s): visit an abandoned place
back to top
CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
28
Posts: 26
Joined: 22 May 2012
Last Visit: 26 Mar 2014
LD count: 17
 
PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Wow, it took at least several days to read over 5 years of posts but I think it was worth it. After reading just the first couple of pages I figured it would be fun to give it a go. Hence I created a character called Nova.

Reading the rest of the posts with him in mind I found a lot of people were failing or losing touch with their characters. So I immediately made a rule for myself. Keep it simple. With no back story or carefully constructed personality I just let Nova go wherever he wanted. Now less than a week after his creation I have already heard his voice once during a normal dream and had at least 3 normal dreams every night for the last week. That's pretty good for me.

Would like to see more people posting in the thread, it needs more love.


back to top
Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer
Leijona has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Posts: 423
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Last Visit: 27 May 2014
LD count: 90
 
PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Hello there CyberD! It's always nice to see people being interested in CALD. To my own shame I have to admit that I haven't finished reading through the CALD threads. sadblauw I agree, it definitely does need more love, without Talon CALD lost a lot of its popularity.

That's the same way I created Sheela, her background story and personality evolved by themselves somehow. How is it going with Nova and you? Your success is amazing! Way to go! :D



Current LD goal(s): visit an abandoned place
back to top
rKangas
I just want to know
Novice dreamer
25
Posts: 37
Joined: 18 Apr 2012
Last Visit: 16 Aug 2012
LD count: 9
Location: Estonia
 
PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012  Reply with quote

During the last month I have seen children in my dreams. And I'm always saving them or just taking care of them. Little people all look alike to me so they may even be just one child.

Anyways, I thought about using this recurring character to CALD. I thought that maybe I'm supposed to teach and protect him in my weird dreamworld and raise him to be a good person. I hope I get to see him again and I need him to tell me that I am sleeping, otherwise I can't be good enough a parent.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)



Current LD goal(s): Build Me a Spaceship
back to top
Bleant
Somniologist
Somniologist
22
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Last Visit: 19 Dec 2014
LD count: 2 (Not sure)
 
PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Any reports on this technique being really succesful? I'm trying with a character I just invented and tried to do this on, his name is Takashi, it was easier than expected to create an imaginary character, but it was a nice experience talking to myself (strange, eh?), I trusting it might actually just work.


Current LD goal(s): Have a two week long dream! (Longest one had two days)
back to top
CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
28
Posts: 26
Joined: 22 May 2012
Last Visit: 26 Mar 2014
LD count: 17
 
PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Leijona wrote:
Hello there CyberD! It's always nice to see people being interested in CALD. To my own shame I have to admit that I haven't finished reading through the CALD threads. sadblauw I agree, it definitely does need more love, without Talon CALD lost a lot of its popularity.

That's the same way I created Sheela, her background story and personality evolved by themselves somehow. How is it going with Nova and you? Your success is amazing! Way to go! :D


Hi Leijona. It's a huge task to read over the entire thread so I wouldn't feel bad about it.
I'm already having a little success with CALD. While I haven't had an LD using it yet I feel like I'm getting closer every day.

One thing I have noticed is during the day Nova is very visual orientated. By this I mean that instead of having huge in depth conversations with him like I try to do at night he instead makes his presence known through action. For example if I think it is cold then he walks beside me wearing a thick jacket. We walked passed a sausage sizzle and suddenly he's enjoying a free lunch.

I think the best part of the whole thing is that we both know he is what he is. Just a character in my mind, he doesn't have problem with that at all. So instead of trying to come up with a backstory for him he instead can focus on what he's supposed to do. Which is helping me to dream.

A couple of nights ago during a normal dream a friend introduced me to a boy. I don't remember the details but this boy was really excited to see me. We were sitting down and he jumped on top of me. Sadly it's a little unclear and I didn't pick up on the situation at all but after the fact I believe it was indeed Nova. So that's something.
Even without having any LD's yet I still think the technique is fun. The whole character creation aspect is fun from a casual writers perspective and seeing what an invisible young teenager who lurks around me everywhere I go can come up with is amusing to say the least.

Bleant wrote:
Any reports on this technique being really succesful? I'm trying with a character I just invented and tried to do this on, his name is Takashi, it was easier than expected to create an imaginary character, but it was a nice experience talking to myself (strange, eh?), I trusting it might actually just work.


Stick with it. The more Takashi is on your mind the more likely it is he'll be useful to you. You might see him in a dream and realize you're dreaming or maybe he'll even show up to make you realize. Mind telling us a little about him?

rKangas wrote:
During the last month I have seen children in my dreams. And I'm always saving them or just taking care of them. Little people all look alike to me so they may even be just one child.

Anyways, I thought about using this recurring character to CALD. I thought that maybe I'm supposed to teach and protect him in my weird dreamworld and raise him to be a good person. I hope I get to see him again and I need him to tell me that I am sleeping, otherwise I can't be good enough a parent.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Sounds like having a child is weighing very heavily on your mind. Before you decide to use the boy in your dream for CALD you may want to try and learn more about him. Try and remember what he looks like and ask him why he keeps getting into trouble. You'll only want to use CALD if you think the boy can help you to dream. Then again using CALD might help you learn more about him whether he's helpful to you or not.


back to top
Bleant
Somniologist
Somniologist
22
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Last Visit: 19 Dec 2014
LD count: 2 (Not sure)
 
PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Okay, I'll tell what I know about him so far, treating him as a real person might make him truly more real, so here we go.

Takashi, he's a thin, tall young man, hasn't reached his twenties yet, he has blue hair (it seems strange, but somehow it seems just fine on him) and wears simply. Likes old music, of most kinds, and just likes to enjoy life, accepting his flaws, and always trying to improve. I take him as a reflection of what I'd like to be, he seems to live in the past, in a rather beatiful place, and we've become friends rather quickly, heh.

I'm still developing, but that's it.



Current LD goal(s): Have a two week long dream! (Longest one had two days)
back to top
CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
28
Posts: 26
Joined: 22 May 2012
Last Visit: 26 Mar 2014
LD count: 17
 
PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Bleant wrote:
Okay, I'll tell what I know about him so far, treating him as a real person might make him truly more real, so here we go.

Takashi, he's a thin, tall young man, hasn't reached his twenties yet, he has blue hair (it seems strange, but somehow it seems just fine on him) and wears simply. Likes old music, of most kinds, and just likes to enjoy life, accepting his flaws, and always trying to improve. I take him as a reflection of what I'd like to be, he seems to live in the past, in a rather beatiful place, and we've become friends rather quickly, heh.

I'm still developing, but that's it.


Takashi sounds like a pretty solid character so far. Blue hair would certainly stand out so if you saw him in a dream it'd be pretty easy for you to recognize him. Remember that he doesn't have to be perfectly normal, since he exists in your mind he can have any number of unusual features.

The more you interact with him the more he'll develop. At least that's what I've found with Nova (my character). He has developed a somewhat cheeky side that he certainly didn't have when I first created him.


back to top
Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer
Leijona has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Posts: 423
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Last Visit: 27 May 2014
LD count: 90
 
PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Bleant wrote:
Any reports on this technique being really succesful?
I believe I myself have had a CALD, but since my DR was very bad at that moment, I'm not entirely sure. People definitely reported having success with CALD, and if I remember correctly, there was someone named tribemaker (?) who claimed to have tons of LD's using a mix of CALD and VILD.

CyberD wrote:
One thing I have noticed is during the day Nova is very visual orientated. By this I mean that instead of having huge in depth conversations with him like I try to do at night he instead makes his presence known through action. For example if I think it is cold then he walks beside me wearing a thick jacket. We walked passed a sausage sizzle and suddenly he's enjoying a free lunch.
I have quite a hard time talking to my characters before going to sleep (mostly lack of discipline from my part, I guess). However, the amount of visual presence is more affected by distractions or whether there are many other things going on around me to which I have to pay attention. I think my characters are more action based, so the Character Chat helps me a lot to have some decent conversations with them. When you say that Nova walks besides you, do you imagine him being IRL?

CyberD wrote:
I think the best part of the whole thing is that we both know he is what he is. Just a character in my mind, he doesn't have problem with that at all.
IIRC some people had issues with the fact that their characters couldn't handle it as soon as they came to know that they are only creations of the mind. In my opinion it makes a lot more sense to let your character know that he is simply an imaginary character (besides it's much more fun when they are aware of the endless possibilities of existing in someone's mind).

CyberD wrote:
Even without having any LD's yet I still think the technique is fun. The whole character creation aspect is fun from a casual writers perspective and seeing what an invisible young teenager who lurks around me everywhere I go can come up with is amusing to say the least.
I agree. I especially think it's interesting to see of what a human mind is capable of.

CyberD wrote:
Bleant wrote:
Takashi, he's a thin, tall young man, hasn't reached his twenties yet, he has blue hair (it seems strange, but somehow it seems just fine on him) and wears simply. Likes old music, of most kinds, and just likes to enjoy life, accepting his flaws, and always trying to improve. I take him as a reflection of what I'd like to be, he seems to live in the past, in a rather beatiful place, and we've become friends rather quickly, heh.

Takashi sounds like a pretty solid character so far. Blue hair would certainly stand out so if you saw him in a dream it'd be pretty easy for you to recognize him. Remember that he doesn't have to be perfectly normal, since he exists in your mind he can have any number of unusual features.
Characters don't even need to be human. kiekeboe A character can also have several appearances, just any other DC. Like in CyberD's dream, you might meet a DC who doesn't look at all like your MC, but you will know that it is your character.

@CyberD: Can you tell us a little bit about Nova?



Current LD goal(s): visit an abandoned place
back to top
CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
28
Posts: 26
Joined: 22 May 2012
Last Visit: 26 Mar 2014
LD count: 17
 
PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2012  Reply with quote

Leijona wrote:
@CyberD: Can you tell us a little bit about Nova?

I'll start at the beginning. I created Nova based very loosely on a character concept I came up with and named several months ago but never ended up using in a story I was playing around with. The character was an artificial intelligence programmed onto a portable device, like a futuristic Iphone or something. The character was like a personal assistant, keeping everything organized and giving reminders etc. Reading over the threads made me remember the character so I took the idea, cleared his backstory and made him a character for CALD.

Nova's appearance was originally that of the character. He is 14, kinda on the slim side with blond hair, bright green eyes and his outfit some kind of battle armor. In an effort to find some normal clothes for him I stumbled across a picture of a clothes model in an advertisement and the image of this new boy stuck.
So now Nova has short brown hair and a green fleece jacket which is on sale ^^ Random how these things go. I look at the image occasionally to help visualize him. (I've used photos of random people to help develop characters before but it's interesting how well it worked for this)

Since the character in the story didn't get used it provided a blank slate. The only thing Nova has really held onto is the name. He can make fire with his hands, turn into fire etc. Conversely he hates the cold and especially the rain.

Leijona wrote:
I have quite a hard time talking to my characters before going to sleep (mostly lack of discipline from my part, I guess). However, the amount of visual presence is more affected by distractions or whether there are many other things going on around me to which I have to pay attention. I think my characters are more action based, so the Character Chat helps me a lot to have some decent conversations with them. When you say that Nova walks besides you, do you imagine him being IRL?

I try to imagine Nova everywhere I go. If I only talk with him at home then he might only show up when I dream I am at home. So he walks to work beside me, he hangs around while I'm working sometimes and I try to get his opinion on things I see as well as getting him to remind me to do RC's. Now that might all sound crazy but since he's just a character in my head I don't see the problem. It's not like he affects my performance at all.
The other day there was a very distracting jumping castle nearby as I was working so Nova occupied himself with that for a good while.
Typically though I am more focused when I'm using the computer, like now. He sits a few feet behind me in a very laid back way. I'll ask him about things I come across and try to get something smart out of him before I get distracted again.

Leijona wrote:
IIRC some people had issues with the fact that their characters couldn't handle it as soon as they came to know that they are only creations of the mind. In my opinion it makes a lot more sense to let your character know that he is simply an imaginary character (besides it's much more fun when they are aware of the endless possibilities of existing in someone's mind).

This was one of the first things I found when I read over the thread so I made sure right from the beginning this could never be a problem. Not only does Nova accept this but he embraces it. Existing in my mind means he is free from limitations and that he has full control over all dream matter (if you can call it that.) Last night he told me he will never feel physical pain, which makes sense, and that he thinks I am strong for enduring even a little pain.(I had a headache.)

Leijona wrote:
Characters don't even need to be human. kiekeboe A character can also have several appearances, just any other DC. Like in CyberD's dream, you might meet a DC who doesn't look at all like your MC, but you will know that it is your character.

I remember reading this. Animals seem popular particularly wolves. I've also seen elves, robots and other bizarre alien creatures. There was also one character I remember that was completely formless.
I actually had a discussion with Nova about his appearance in my dream. We concluded that the form of the boy in the dream more closely resembled his original design and that might be why I didn't recognize him. Nova says he'll try not to use that form again but dreams are random places so who knows what'll happen. ^^

So much typing. Maybe having the idea in my mind for so long will help to see it in a dream. It'd be wonderful if I could have another dream with Nova in it.


back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 11 of 12Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next


print   ShareShare 

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  

LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~
created and copyright by pasQuale. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB © 2001,2005 phpBB Group ~