Lucidity and exhaustion?

I am not sure whether something like this has been posted here already, but couldn´t find it.
I used to be a rather frequent lucid dreamer, but even today I still have lucid dreams about once every two weeks on average, sometimes a little more often.

I have stumbled across something that is somewhat weird and was wondering whether anyone has experienced something similar.
Whenever I am extremely tired, as in so tired I can not possibly stay awake, I sometimes slip over into sleep and directly into lucidity. In these moments it´s like I can feel exhaustion seep in and put me asleep but my mind stays awake and I am lucid at once. It´s like I am pulled in, nothing I can do against it and it´s only when I feel really exhausted.

The lucidity I enter then is one though where I feel so tired that I can hardly get up from the bed, feling so tired that my limbs feel all heavy. These lucid dreams do not take long. it´s like my mind is too exhausted to even think of a setting so it´s my bedroom, i get up from my bed like I would when awake. This confuses me most oft he time so I usually do the reality check then, always finding I am dreaming. I already know thenthat i am too tired to put up enough will powr to myke this dream interesting. So i usually climb out the window and fly around a little till i wake up about one or two mins later.

So my question is: has anyone else experienced something like this? As in exhaustion - induced LD-ing. It´s not a frightening experience but it is somewhat annoying and highly frustrating because i completely lack control and basically the only proof this is a dream is because the reality checks prove it.

To me, WILD only works when I’m so tired that I know I’ll fall asleep in a second. When I try to WILD feeling ok, falling asleep takes me at least an hour and then I already lost focus.
But indeed, in those ‘exhaustion-induced’ dreams, as you call them, I always lack control. Sometimes it’s just completely dark and I have to force myself to try to do something because I now I will regret it if I don’t. But it doesn’t work that much.

This has never happened to me per-se, but I do tend to have more LDs when I’m more tired.

Hi Moonwolf,
as I have experienced the same tiredness as you did last Sunday (even though not in a WILD induced LD) I hope I can help you with what did work for me.
I realised I was dreaming while lying in my bed. When I got up, I could barely stand because of a strange heavyness of my arms. In addition, my eyes burned like I was really tired. Sounds familiar? :wink:
I didnt want to waste any time of my LD, so I shouted angrily: “I want to be fully aware in my dream now, not tired!!! Lucidity x 100!!!” And it really worked! Had a nice LD afterwards :wink:
So, try it the next time! As soon as you believe in it, it will stop immediately. (at least, thats what I think)
Have a great night!

Yea its happened to me but I usually fall asleep where I am or go on auto pilot. I remember one time I ended up outside at night w/ the holloween theme playing and some random person looking back and running from me. I tried to get up but I was so tired I barely managed to crawl. I didnt bother to turn around b/c my focus was so messed up it wouldve ended the dream.
[right]Later I realized that I may have been Michael Myers in that dream because he would’ve offed me sooner as slow as I was moving.[/right]

Haha, yes many times! One time I just lied on the ground and only managed to make my dream-self lie in a bed, only in my dream I made it more softer and bigger. Then I think I “fell asleep” in my dream. (It’s not possible, right?) I just think I went into auto-mode.

Maybe you(for those that it happens to) feel like this because we bring in the last physical things we remember? It could be we’re not actually exhausted in the dream, we just imagine it and project it. If I was in a very good mood or in a very bad mood, I usually feel the exact same in my lucid dream, if not stronger than in your waking life. It’s really complicated, I could go on and on about ideas and thoughts about this.

Are you mentally or physically exhausted?
Mental exhaustion actually increase REM intensity and duration so it could be that.