Dream Image Reconstruction

Hey, everyone. I just recently stumbled across a video on youtube. Now even though, it’s been posted back in september '11, I haven’t found anything on this forum about it.

Apparently scientists in Berkeley had found out that there is a connection between what a person sees and the activity of his brain. They did this by showing a picture and recording brain activity picked up by fMRI.

What was their next step? They’ve collected a vast array of random youtube clips, and decided to do the reverse of the above experiment. The result can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nsjDnYxJ0bo

It seems unbelievable, but as someone said before “Science Fiction, precursor to science fact”. While it seems that this technology is way out there in the future for us, the general population, I can imagine the benefits such a technology could have for those interested in LD. A new kind of dream journal, anyone?

ETA: The most important part, the source: https://gallantlab.org/

This would be truly awesome… if i understand how you mean, so the dreamer may plug some kind of brainwave reading device or whatever to your brain and then it convert into a video file? :happy:

Not a new idea. In fact, we could await this technology pretty soon. I would bet in 5 years at maximum. Well, wouldn’t it be nice to invite some guests for a movie. A movie of your dreams you’ve had in the past week? :happy:

Pretty much you could be your own movie director (some of my dreams do feel like action movies :cool: ) , and while a large part of the other sensory aspects of the dream would not get recorded, it would be cool to catch a glimpse of someone else’s dreams.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an MRI machine at home, nor would I like going to bed in a giant magnet. However once they develop something more user-friendly…

This could fix everybodys problems of dream recall for good… this would be awesome to “record” my LDs and post them because that would be much better than just reading it :razz:

ashamed for not updating DJ in forever

I had seen an article in the newspaper about that. I thought it was so interesting that I kept the page.
I would be glad to use such a technology to record dreams, I recall plenty of them that would be worth it.
However such a technology might be used for lesser good purposes. If you can spy someone’s mind, we are again facing an ethical problem…
But if it is only used for dreams, that would be amazing!

Good God. Although it sounds so very interesting, I’m not sure I would keep anything like that around. My dreams are not only personal and explicit, but like all who participate in dreaming, quite numerous and illogical. I would use this invention maybe once out of curiosity. After that, my dreams will remain riveting entries in a diary or fading nightmares in the back of my mind, where they belong. Untouched by outside human invention.

Yes, it causes a few ethic problems. I bet you could keep the videos in a safe place, where you could archive it. Though, there exist dreams, which I would certainly show to someone else. They are so awesome.

I’m sure I could hide my peculiar screen-ready dreams, but it really seems like too much trouble for too little benefit. I would keep one just to say I did it, but otherwise wouldn’t keep that kind of thing around. On the plus side, I can already think of some really fun events revolving around this invention. Dream parties, anyone?

Yeah, I see what you mean. One of the great upsides of Dreams is that they’re extremely personal. There are plenty of dreams which even after over a year of faithfully keeping a DJ, I hesitate to record on paper.

Yet if there was a way to somehow ensure that your dreams are “censored” by you (in other words you record only what you want), then I’d say that alleviates most of the issues. Also, from what I gather, it takes an MRI machine to record visuals. I’d think its quite hard to sneak up on a sleeping person, so for now we’re safe :grin: .

A few days ago, I stumbled upon a short article in my local newspaper which immediately reminded me of this topic, but I forgot about it. Thanks to WolfTracker posting here again, I remembered that and did some quick internet research (my newspaper is not in English). As far as I can tell, the device is not about images, but rather about text. An article in English: link and the official page: iBrain.

Well, by the time dream recording devices become a common sight in everyone’s home, I think we will have some really good methods of keeping those dreams out of other people. Safes, passwords, artificial languages, codes etc.

If brains had a dreamwave checker set up to them- then use the idea of reading emotions to know how somebody is thinking… Why don’t visualizer’s make shapes from nothing? There’s always a preset visual that controls the music.
Play music- a bar that turns into wavey lines.
What if we release the music from the bar and see what pictures it makes. Like drawing lines using surround sound speakers and drawing near a few certain sounds.
(Yes, I know about different visualizations- same story, despite the randomness, they’re always following a path pre-computed)
“Don’t” take that idea (I copyrighted!) and put it to brainwaves and you have video.
If you do take it, please quote me. If you have no idea as to what you just read- then please, quote me.

Nice, I can imagine the next generation of Media Player Visualizations.