Neurophysilogical 'Twins'

My opinion of the human mind is that it is divided into 2 parts as 2 minds; seperate parts of a whole. These two minds are the conscious mind and subconscious mind. The conscious mind has a subconscious mind of its own as does the subconscious mind. In other words, you are two beings. (Three if you count the Astral being.) I, personally, named my subconscious being Halacy, (pronounced Hall-Uh-See,) and while you are awake, your subconscious mind is asleep as we slowly build their dreams (our world… I mean every creation we ever made started with an idea…right? :razz:). When you are asleep, your subconscious mind is awake, building your dreams. (Schizophrenics have fully active subconscious’s,) and if you retain consciousness whilst you dream, you can communicate fully with your subconscious being as your dream guide. I call this The Theory of Two. (Simple name, I know, but still…)

Do you think that your “Subconscious part” is self-aware or not?

Some say that it isn’t and that’s why it can’t analyse things by itself and thus needs your self-aware part to help it come to the right conclusions.

I’m not so sure about a conscious/subconscious divide like this. I definitely don’t view my subconscious as a separate entity to myself. I’ve managed to maintain memory of dreams during NREM, and found that the thoughts were really just my own thoughts taking place in an isolated space and in a very visual way. Similarly I’ve had dreams that broke apart as I awoke causing me to become aware of the underlying thought process that was actually driving the dream. I feel there is something of a rational / irrational divide, but not one that is governed by another conscious entity. It’s more about patterns and reactions that we ourselves program ourselves with in my opinion.

I agree with you. The Subconscious and Conscious mind are both part of the brain. They have just seperate mechanisms, but create one identity. You can’t really divide yourself. Both the conscious mind and subconscious mind belong to you and represent you.

Yes, I do think that it is self-aware in a sense… The sub-conscious mind is as ‘self aware’ as the conscious mind. Neither one can work without the other. The conscious mind without the subconscious would not function at all. You would have no emotions, beliefs, memories, etc. The subconscious mind would be useless, as well because it would be the same effect, inside out, almost. They both have the same work to do on separate ends, but the subconscious mind communicates to you through symbolism in dreams; that is not your conscious mind. Schizophrenic people who hear/see things don’t choose to see them. Their subconscious projects them. You ever try telling someone in a dream that your dreaming? They deny it. Its like their are 2 different people.

I don’t tend to think of my subconscious as an entity. It is SUB conscious. It does not have the conscious capacity of self recognition or any of the things that define a conscious entity. It’s simple the background of our minds in my opinion. Just another part of me :smile: