Your personal opinion on dreams and nightmares

Author  Message 
Danilynn
Forgetter of Faces
Novice dreamer
LD count: 3 or 4...

Your personal opinion on dreams and nightmares
PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012  Reply with quote

It has recently come to my attention that I don't really have a basis for determining whether a dream I've had should be classified as a "dream" or a "nightmare". I have dreams which I consider unpleasant quite frequently, but I have never thought of those as nightmares.
I usually only consider my dreams to be nightmares if I wake up crying.
So, my question is: how do you personally define dreams and nightmares?

Thanks bunches!

-Danielle

Current LD goal(s): Find out what is causing my trichotillomania/Slay a Jabberwock
The Nameless One
Sleeping Man
cookie lover
LD count: 2 crappy ones

I consider nightmares any dreams whose situations I wouldn't wish happened IRL.

rustydreamer
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 100's

In my opinion nightmares are just unpleasant dreams that nobody likes to have, but for some reason I don't have nightmares anymore I don't know if this is because of lucid dreaming or what but my dreams use to be all nightmares. I dreamt about walking down my hallway in my house and all the pictures use to scream and shout at me and I screamed for my mum but she never came. But what I do believe is dreams are inspired by what we think and feel.

Current LD goal(s): Speak with subconious
Paulius
Carbon-based lifeform
Dream Deity
LD count: 31

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012  Reply with quote

Nightmares have become very rare for me. 0-1 in a month or two. Anyway, what I would consider a nightmare is a dream which I couldn't stand at all. A dream that is horrifying (i.e. someone killing someone that I loved or someone hurting or chasing me etc.) could qualify for a nightmare. Otherwise the dream can be exciting, pleasant, neutral or unpleasant. The other category is horrifying, which is nightmares tounge2

Current LD goal(s): Have a lightsaber duel with a DC.
Samadhi
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 0

A dream where I'm feeling constant fear of dying and pain. For example, once had a dream where some kinda mafia gang terrorized a mall and put cut off limbs and carcasses everywhere. It was disturbing, in a really damn horrible way.

But I don't think all unpleasant emotions make a dream a nightmare. I've had some dreams in which I was really scared, but it was a different kind of fear. It was more mysterious and surreal, not such graphic violence. Maybe sounds stupid, but it was even kinda.. enjoyable fear?

MagykKatte has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

It's really all a matter of opinion. I have many dreams that I consider unpleasant, unhappy, or awkward, but I don't consider them nightmares. In my opinion, nightmares are extremely long, detailed, frightening and horrifying. When you wake up you don't want to go back to sleep. I don't have them often, but I did when I was younger and it was horrible.

almighty catfish
Best. Title. Ever
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2012  Reply with quote

Dreams: the everyday thing that I wake up from and think to myself 'gosh that was cool/exciting/awesome' or 'huh that was crazy/weird/annoying'
I define nightmares as something experienced where a lot of negative emotions are in play. Personally, my nightmares include a great deal of fear typically from being chased and surrounded by unnatural and distorted things (or spiders scared ).
If I have to force myself awake, it's a nightmare. As for crying, there have only ever been extremely sad dreams that I don't consider nightmares because it doesn't contain the fear and horror. Most often the nightmare itself wakes me up and the image of the last thing I saw is in my head, in which case I'm afraid to go back to sleep incase I go back into the nightmare so I force myself awake long enough to start think about something else.

Kessi
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 1

nighmares

Well in my opinion a nightmare can be anything that you consider as a nightmare. For example I have dreamt many times seeing a very large stone thats spinnin on the spot really slow and I was feeling really uneasy. I woke up really sweaty and terrified. Althought I find no real reson for this dream to be a nightmare it still is. So I think there is no way to compare one nightmare to other cuz every one haves his/hers own nightmares.

Current LD goal(s): To have control over lucid dreams. And to create something wonderfull with LD.
Fate
Solitary
Dream Deity
Wolfgame
LD count: 16

I share the op's view. I have unpleasant dreams every now and then, but I don't think of them as nightmares, because after I wake up, I find most of them quite amusing, in some sort of twisted way.

I don't mind having such dreams because constant flowers and bright colors can become mundane, even in dreams.

I have had a select few, true nightmares that have been so horrific I have ended up waking up crying. However, I have also had pleasant dreams that were simply so great or touching that I have woken up crying as well.

Mr18111
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

I would consider a nightmare a dream where you become terrorized by some element of the dream.

Don Anonymus
Novice dreamer
Dream Deity
LD count: Not specified

I classify nightmares in two groups (personally I find the second one more terrifying):

Nightmare = A dream where you are afraid of what may happen to you in a given situation.

LN = A dream in which you are aware of being in a dream and are afraid of being afraid that situations may alter for the worse in spite of your will.

Zan
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 1

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012  Reply with quote

For me, it's a dream in which I feel uncomfortable for large parts of the dream, and in situations I really wish wouldn't happen.

Current LD goal(s): Trying to get more LDs, making the LD last longer

print