Movie thread Part IV

It’s probably just me but is anyone else here a slasher fan? You know, all those movies made in the 70’s - 00’s with a masked (or not) killer who stalks teenagers and kills them one by one. My top three favorite movies are all from this genre, 1.My Bloody Valentine (1981) 2. The Burning 3. My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009), the MBV movies have affected my dreams alot lately.

[color=green]Heh…Yea buddy got one here. Jason, Nightmare on elm street, holloween, chucky,leatherface, hellraiser and many more[/color]

[color=green]
The movies usually effect my dreams much later like 5 months later or something. Had many lucid encounters with these two… With Freddy stay on his good side and as for Jason stay out of his way he’s usually in a bad mood[/color]

That’s awesome! I really like the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, they are so creative with their deaths and dream environments. As for the Friday the 13th films, oh boy. Don’t even get me started :happy:

I just saw Hunger Games, I thought it was good but am kinda disappointed after I watch it.

@Kevs:
Agreed. I went and saw it at the premiere-- of course it was fun and of course I was happy to see one of my favorite books on the big screen… But, I think they could’ve done it better. I feel they left out things that were kind of really important (especially later on in the trilogy) that wouldn’t have been that hard to include, and went out of their way to change things… :meh:

But I mean… It is an adaptation, and I’m thankful it wasn’t completely terrible I guess…

ALSO: last night I had a ‘study party’ with some friends to prepare for our test over The Scarlet Letter— we watched Easy A :tongue:
Cute movie. Not the best, but good imo. Loved her family :tongue:

SPOILER - Click to view

and my heart went out for her when she finally went on a date and it turned out the guy just wanted to um… Buy her(?) But I guess that’s what you get when you uhm, openly accept the stories about you an end up dressing in that fashion… XD

@Faith42: Easy A? I haven’t watch it yet but if you say it’s good then I’ll try o watch it later if am not busy. I’m really finding new movies to watch maybe not literally “new” one, will at least a good and worth to watch movies:)
So do you have another movies to recommend? I like movies like horror, thrilling and sci-fi(feel like Link removed. :mattias: )
Like the Inception.

now you reply to my comment…I hope we can be friends here… (one of the reason why I registered :smile: )

@Kevs: do you come on chat?
*Faith frequents chat :smile:

I’m sorry if you don’t like my replies…
And seems like I’m making chat on this thread :sad:

-Imma better off Link removed. :mattias:

:lol: Paranormal Activity 4 was much better than I thought it would be. Its funny yet at the same time things tend to get pretty serious. In my opinion its the best one of the series.

[color=green][center]The Protector[/center]

Pretty action packed.

Some films I watched recently and my opinions of them:

Rogue One – eh, it has a bit of that Star Wars feel, but overall boring, with some pretty bad writing and a bland Mary-Sue main character.
Suicide Squad – one of the worst movies I watched. And I really like DC.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – it had its moments. I liked Eddie Redmayne’s acting (unlike in Jupiter, that was atrocious)
Passengers – <3 I guess it’s a pretty plain romance story, but still.
Arrival – oof, this movie is so enjoyable. Loved it!
Doctor Strange – pretty good! I didn’t think I’d enjoy it as much as I did.
X-Men Apocalypse – eh :happy: I liked it I guess.
Deadpool – I did not enjoy this one. Not my kind of humor.
The Magnificent Seven (2016) – Loved it!
Independence Day: Resurgence – as dumb as the first one, but I enjoyed it.
Warcraft – Warcraaaaaft! It’s not really a very good movie, but it’s so pretty.
The Accountant – loved this one, too.
The BFG – I enjoyed it, it was cute.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows – horrible.

I really look forward to the new My Little Pony movie coming to theaters. It’s going to be awesome :happy:

I really liked beauty and the beast and the new ring movie too.

I also watched Big Hero 6 again a few months ago on tv. I’m not really all that into super hero stuff, but i really liked that film. Plus it was themed around tokyo :3

Interesting topic! :smile:

En’enra I completely agree with what you said about Rogue One

SPOILER - Click to view

But the brutal scene with Darth Vader made up for everything :hurray:

I recently saw Logan and I think that movie is amazing, I’d definitely recommend it if you’re into superhero stuff!

If you guys had to pick one favourite movie, what would it be? :happy:

Kind of, yeah, but I like to see some structure in a movie, not to be bored until the last ten minutes when everything goes awesome. :happy:

As for my favorite movie, hmmm. It’s difficult to single one out. I love The Matrix and Constantine, but I think that Lord of the Rings movies are still the best movies ever made. I also adore Howl’s Moving Castle, I used to know it by heart. :smile:

Edit: Scratch all that, I remembered my favorite movie. :woo:

Onmyoujiiiiii! Can’t believe I forgot about this movie. Time for a re-watch! :grin:

Onmyouji lookst interesting!
The Lord of the Rings movies are also one of my favourite trilogies but my favourite movie is definitely Weird Science :happy:

Onmyouji is not a movie for everyone, I think – it’s extremely interesting to me because I love Heian era Japan, onmyodo, and yokai, but as a movie, it has some overly dramatic acting and bad special effects (although I think any flaw of the movie is overshadowed by Mansai Nomura’s incredible charisma).

I haven’t watched Weird Science. Also, up there I forgot to mention Mad Max: Fury Road, which was amazing.

Last night I watched Gangs of New York (2002). Loved every scene. Seriously one of the most enjoyable movies I watched.

I adore SciFi, so I watched the new Blade Runner 2049.

I liked the metaphors in it and I also liked that it evaded the opinions of the common folk who’re more into silly skit movies that won’t tickle their imagination (yeah, the movie didn’t do so well at the box office, but in this case it’s a good thing)

I absolutely adored every scene in this movie as well as the obvious metaphors regarding the concept of “Peter and the Wolf” which is a prominent motif throughout the film and tells a lot about the characters. Of course, evident in the use of the technology for Joi, a masterpiece by Сергей Сергеевич Прокофьев.

The film itself touches on many currently common societal issues which aren’t only present in the USA, but also the rest of the world, especially regarding the nomophobia as well as the people’s disconnection from the actual people which happens by kindling the technology further and further. There is not just a question of the transhumanism, it’s already established well and mighty, but there’s a question of whether the transhumanization can lead to a better world or not.

Visually it’s a good film with good actors and especially actresses. The accents were extremely sexy. The movie didn’t feel like it had any sort of a political agenda in it nor it tried to pamper to the PC culture, which imho is a great accomplishment for a modern film nowadays. (looking at you star wars with a very angry face)

This movie shows and stands as a great example that even after so much time passed there can be a film which continues where the previous one left, but you needn’t watch the previous part in order to enjoy this one and the vice-versa also applies.

The movie also did a fair amount of respect to the culture of the 80s Synthwave aesthetics whilst keeping the new approach to the muzika score by Hans Zimmer (and that other guy whose name I forgot, sorry mr. guy)

The Synthwave with the Cyberpunk scenery of a not so distant future felt spot on.
Although, there was this issue referring to the relative disconnection in terms of the multiple languages situated at one common place and although I believe that this is a metaphor I didn’t really take into the account to the fullest I do feel like it had a lot to do with the imminent issue of the blackout that people spoke about in the film. There were Russians (and the soviet theme was lasting) as well as Japanese, Koreans, French etc… Some of which were highly stereotypical and not at all particularly interesting. It was a nice touch hearing other languages, but it appeared as if everyone understood everyone else without any effort. This was never explained in this particular movie, but I take it as if the multilingual barrier was commonly ease-up by the installation of a transhuman piece of equipment or a chip or whatever. Almost immediately reminded me of several SciFi films I enjoy, such as Terminator 2 and Matrix. It also possesses some of the Anime aesthetics, but this is still very slim in comparison so I won’t venture there at the given time.

I got the SciFi vibes similarly to the vibes I used to get whilst playing video-game called “Another World”. The minimalist musical score fits the emptiness of the human heart and the world’s desolation which is stirred up only by the greedy companies, despite the fact that humans went to 8 or 9 different planets/worlds and are dying out. In the end, is the happiness that technology gives us “real” or “fake”? There is some existential and philosophical gestures in the movie, especially on the premise of Joi who’s following the agent K or, rather, Joe.

I also endlessly enjoyed some of the gimmicks, too, such as the Sony’s Jukebox that plays an audiophile level audio followed by the holographic image of the old video, possibly from some internet database. Apparently, some technology, despite it’s old age, didn’t eventually fade out as it’s common with the CDs, VHS and other types of recording media which may get demagnetized or corroded/disintegrated in some other way.
I keep imagining what a great value such a device might’ve had from the timeline perspective of the film’s events themselves. The song was a common evergreen piece by Frank Sinatra called One for my Baby and the holographic image portrayed Frank’s live gig at Royal Festival Hall in London. This is particularly interesting since knowing what audiophiles the Japanese people actually are their choice for leisure are often either Jazz and/or common evergreen songs, mostly the songs referring to the Los Angeles. As someone who’s into audiophile level music for personal enjoyment, this particular gimmick was ever so fun to observe and made the film so much better in my opinion since it portrayed something to realistically plausible, yet so distant and yearn-inducing. Almost like that little special thing that people usually dream of possessing, yet somehow lose from the grip of their hands once they wake up :tongue:

Blade Runner 2049 is definitely not just another movie down the line and it really hit all the piano notes for me. It’s practically everything a SciFi lad could ask for in the modern age and I appreciate that it’s something of a discussion piece per se.

1 Like

Just watched
Fast Color

The special effects in it are a good inspiration for something to do in a LD.

BR 2049 is a cinematic masterpiece and the sound is amazing. Best watched at home on 70"+ TV and surround sound. The movie stands alone and is also great to revisit BR Directors cut