EN \ NL \ FR
Current Wings Quest 121
Revitalise!
print ShareShare 

Can you change your personality in lucid dreams?

Page 1 of 2Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author  Message 
*Laurelindo*
Yes! I am invincible!
Dream Deity
LD count: 24

Can you change your personality in lucid dreams?
PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

I admit that I tend to be a bit too "careful" and silent as a person in real life, and I don't like that, and I was thinking that maybe lucid dreams could be used a sort of "training ground" where you can try out things that you want to socially improve on in real life?
If anything the freedom in lucid dreams should at least make you really happy and euphoric as a person, and this should make personality change much easier, right?

I'm talking about fairly dramatic changes here by the way, from silent and careful into social and talkative.
I used to be the latter several years ago as well, so I believe it's "inside me" just waiting to rekindle again. kiekeboe

Samick
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 6

I don't think that lucid dreams would give you a dramatic change, but it would help here. With them you can find why can't you be more social and less silent.

But if you want a dramatic change go to a public place (IRL) and do some really crazy stuff, which you wouldn't normaly do. It certainly would make a dramatic and fast change.

Current LD goal(s): Becoming lucid more frequently
Wyvern
Do a Rawr-C!
cookie lover
Wyvern has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: Nightly

Oh, it's certainly possible! I've used my dreams for that very purpose myself.
While I'm still an introvert (and I don't think dreams will ever change that inner nature), I am not afraid to be social and outgoing when the situation calls for it. siiw

Koharo
Lone Wolf Brawler
cookie lover
Koharo has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 9/7/15: 106+

Yea it should work if you allow it, but like Wyvern said I doubt it will change your inner nature. I out of the blue I tried being social for a bit and it was alright. After a while I just decided to go back to my corner.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Current LD goal(s): A man in a white room, very long dreads, he resembles me..He knows somethin..
Koharo
Lone Wolf Brawler
cookie lover
Koharo has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 9/7/15: 106+

Samick wrote:
But if you want a dramatic change go to a public place (IRL) and do some really crazy stuff, which you wouldn't normaly do. It certainly would make a dramatic and fast change.

From experience I know that could be a good start depending on the place and time. Hopefully the people around are fun enough to understand or join in. Best of luck.

Current LD goal(s): A man in a white room, very long dreads, he resembles me..He knows somethin..
*Laurelindo*
Yes! I am invincible!
Dream Deity
LD count: 24

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

Wyvern wrote:
Oh, it's certainly possible! I've used my dreams for that very purpose myself.
While I'm still an introvert (and I don't think dreams will ever change that inner nature), I am not afraid to be social and outgoing when the situation calls for it. siiw

That's nice to hear.
However, I don't think I really am introverted by nature, because I used to be really social pretty often back in the school days, and I often wish I could spend more time with people without feeling uncomfortable sooner or later - and if I don't feel content with this then I probably ain't introverted either - or maybe I really am introverted and just wish I could be more spontaneous in general among people, I don't know - but both my parents and my little brother are very extroverted, so, well...
Anyway, I was sort of thinking of trying to use lucid dreams to rekindle my social nature again, becuase my intuition tells me that I have that personality somewhere inside me - and lucid dreaming seems like an excellent platform to practice that side of myself.

Samick
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 6

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

*Laurelindo* wrote:

Anyway, I was sort of thinking of trying to use lucid dreams to rekindle my social nature again, becuase my intuition tells me that I have that personality somewhere inside me - and lucid dreaming seems like an excellent platform to practice that side of myself.

If you think it is out there (and of course it is because it is in every human I think) than lucid dreams are an excellent choice for bringing it back. In lucid dreams you can find many pieces of your self which you supressed or rejected at certain part of your life because of certain reasons. Good luck finding it.

Current LD goal(s): Becoming lucid more frequently
Presence333
Perception Observer
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

Nice question.

I think lucid dreaming could definitely initiate and foster change in the way you're aiming for.

How you perceive yourself is pretty important. Being more careful and silent in social situations is a pretty important cycle to go thru, in my opinion, and since you had a more 'opposite' experience in your previous years, it only seems natural. Labelling cycles as 'introverted' and 'extroverted' can block your vision of who you truly are and what you're truly up to. Personality is simply too rich, vast, and impermanent to contain in such concepts.

You could explore the purpose of acting more careful in social situation, in lucid dreams. Maybe you were hurt by someone and didn't realize it? Maybe you're looking for different kind of people to be your friends? The answer is in your mind, and I think lucid dreaminging could help in that way.

Current LD goal(s): Developing the choice to be lucid in any reality.
eeee1
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

It seems to me that it would be a good place to rehearse socializing. Just as practicing in a mirror to learn to act or even socialize. I'm a shy person myself, so i might give that a try.

the_shiv
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 12

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

Absolutely. Well, to an extent. I had a long LD about a week ago, which has significantly improved my confidence and conflict resolution skills. I'm still super introverted, but still... looking forward to putting my new-found aggressive posture to work in my employment tribunal pre-hearing tomorrow. It's definitely made me feel less easily intimidated. I do think it takes quite regular practice for the changes to stick, though. That, I'm still working on.

Current LD goal(s): Learn how to have less sporadic LDs :-)
Wyvern
Do a Rawr-C!
cookie lover
Wyvern has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: Nightly

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

Introverted =/= Shy
Extroverted =/= Outgoing

One simply gains energy from being alone and gets drained from social situations.
And the other gains energy from being social and gets tired from being alone.

But an introvert can be very social and an extrovert may enjoy being alone. Just thought I'd clarify.

Presence333
Perception Observer
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

Wyvern wrote:
You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

Introverted =/= Shy
Extroverted =/= Outgoing

One simply gains energy from being alone and gets drained from social situations.
And the other gains energy from being social and gets tired from being alone.

But an introvert can be very social and an extrovert may enjoy being alone. Just thought I'd clarify.

Good point.

I also think one limits themself when believing he/she 'IS' an introvert or 'IS' an extravert, that introversion and extroversion are like cycles or seasons in one's experience; some days introversion is needed more to gather healthy energy and some days extraversion is needed more.

the_shiv
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Oh well. It's my personality and I'll generalise if I want to smile

Presence333
Perception Observer
Lucid Initiate

the_shiv wrote:

I imagined that being sung like the Lesley Gore song, haha

the_shiv
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Presence333 wrote:
the_shiv wrote:

I imagined that being sung like the Lesley Gore song, haha

Heh wink5

It was.

Page 1 of 2Goto page 1, 2  Next

print   ShareShare