Help : Cracking sound or noise while in lucid dream

Hello friends, this is my first post in this forum. I heard about lucid dreaming from a friend. But, one day, accidentally I experienced it. In the past 6 months, I have experienced it like 5 6 times.

I usually understand that its lucid dream when i realize something is out of place.
I tried to do things in the dream, but the scene gets less clear when I realize that its a dream and start giving attention to details.

Whenever I am having a lucid dream, after a point when I try to do something, I hear a cracking noise which goes on increasing and things start getting unclear. The more I try to see things clearly, the sound increases. Then I became afraid that it might lead to me going to some state of mind which I wont be able to get out of, I myself end the dream without futher trying to hold on and wakes up.

1. Why am I hearing this noise? and is it safe to continue?
2. Why do things get unclear when I try to look in to details?

Does anybody have any explanations on this situation?
Thanks in advance :smile:

PS: Today, a weird thing happened just now. I saw myself in the dream and then I realized that its lucid. I tried touching the “me” in the dream and I did. Then this cracking sound came again and got scared and woke up.

I’m a beginner with LD and all that, and I know only the basics on all of this stuff (since I don’t know from a first hand standpoint… and I’ve been looking into it only a month or so now)

But my own theory is your subconscious is trying to stop you from controlling the dream? Similar to if you have a shock collar on a dog and it goes from lightly tingly to painful the closer it gets to it’s boundaries.
I’ve heard that sometimes if you don’t do what the dream wants you to do you start to loose hold of the dream - and your subconscious sometimes does things that you aren’t aware of controlling in the dream. So yea… maybe your brain is trying to stop you from controlling it how you want?
Have to tried focusing on making the crackling not being there?

(Throwing ideas and suggestions into the wind here. So really don’t take any advice from me)

Appreciate your response WolfSpirit!
I have not continued once the crackling increases. I felt I will lose control of myself and I deliberately quit the dream.

Even I was thinking on similar lines as you mentioned. Then I thought I will ask the people who have been through so that I can get more information. I did not deliberately try lucid dreaming. I am curious it still happened with me 5 6 times. Then I thought, I will explore this.

Anyways, I am planning on going ahead the next time even if the noise increases. Will let you guys know my experience.

Also, I would like to hear the thoughts on this from the experienced dreamers in this forum too :smile:

Still waiting for a reply!
It would be great if anybody can assist on this!

:smile:

Hi,

I have similar issues, whenever I notice I’m dreaming I can’t clear the dream up at all.

Things I’ve done to help are,

1. Try putting on glasses (even if you don’t need them) sometimes this helps adjust the clarity.
  2. Talk to someone in the dream about something calming like pie. Pie is good.
  3. Touch things! I touched a brick wall once and things got clearer when I noticed it was just like reality.

I agree with the person up above me somewhere, it most likely is your subconscious being not okay with it.

I’d probably reiterate what has been said already but with a slightly different slant since I don’t recognise the subconscious as a separate conscious entity. For me it would be most likely that a part of you has come to expect this to happen, and has fixated on it due to fear. The fear your express seems to be of getting stuck in your dream / state of mind and being unable to exit it. There is no recorded incidences of something like that happening, people like to spread fear about it saying that people who did, couldn’t report it, but this sounds like empty scaremongering done by trolls to me. It makes no sense at all that a healthy individual could do something like this, from an evolutionary perspective. You’d need to have serious internal brain chemistry issues and there would be countless other signs of such problems.

The solution I would suggest would be to focus on how natural dreaming and lucid dreaming is, whilst you are awake. It’s a bit like convincing yourself that it’s ok, the cracking is just a creation of your mind. That it is all within your control and nothing bad will happen. From my perspective you are most likely suffering more of a case of paranoia than any form of clinical sleep disorder. Our minds are powerful things and can create experiences which are extremely realistic and sometimes unsettling, ultimately though they are under our direct or indirect control, we just have to learn how to wield that control since it’s not always obvious and doubts can undermine it.

I wholeheartedly agree with dragon, man. Spend more time browsing these forums and you’ll come to realise how extremely common it is for this to happen. By that I mean, it’s becoming common knowledge that when falling into a dream or lucidity, if you expect something scary to happen, then it’s most definitely going to happen. Just keep in mind that whenever you"re getting freaked out in a dream, the absolute worst case scenerio of anything that can possibly happen is that you either wake up or go into a normal dream. You’ll get used to these odd things happening, and then realise that just like anything else in a dream, it’s literally just part of your imagination and can’t hurt you.

P.s. I think you can really benefit by looking in the articles section and using the search tool in the forum for posts relating to “how to stabilize dreams”. They will include methods as described above, touching dream objects, taking a “lucidity pill” and the like, which will help you synchronously keep the lucid dream going, and have more control over the way the dream world plays out. Good luck :smile: