Drinking to increase clarity

Last night in a ND, I had a shot of some kind of whiskey, I think it was Jack. Anyway, as soon as I drank it I became half lucid, as in my thoughts were totally clear and I sort of thought I was in the dream, but was so distracted by what was going on that I didn’t think to RC. Although I didn’t know it was a dream, I was thinking as clearly as if I was awake, except for a couple of moments, and even went so far as to wish that I was dreaming when something bad happened (but still didn’t bother to RC :grrr: ).

My main point is that the alcohol seemed to make things a lot clearer, and if I’d had more of it I probably would have become completely lucid. Anyone ever have anything similar?

It’s easy to explain this. You interacted with one of your senses, and in this case it was taste.
Dreams become clearer if you focus on the senses. Touch is the basis for the rubbing hands stabilization technique. Toxsychor once recommended to me to smell the dream. Taste works just as well.

I can assure you that the composition of the dream liquid was not what increased your clarity, unless maybe you expected your senses to dull and subsequently noticed them better. I can tell you that any alcohol indulgence in waking life is known to kill dream recall. Really, all dream substance is the same (imaginary) so there’s not much need to distinguish between objects. Noticing what your other drinks taste like in a dream should have the same effect.

Masonc1 is fairly correct. The actual substance doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things – I’ve even become more lucid after eating brownie batter in a dream!

This is mostly speculation, but I think that what matters is if the taste of fill in the blank matters to you. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised that the TASTE of whiskey would make you more lucid, if you’re familiar with it!

That being said, though, Masonc1 was entirely correct in saying that IRL alcohol has been found to decrease lucidity overall.

Thanx for the advice guys, I’ll keep that in mind on my future LD endeavors.

I never notice anything like it i tired it but its not beneficial you just lost your focus…