Lucidity Challenge 38: Awards Ceremony!

Lumessence: Lol. :razz:

Also, as long as you can remember exactly what was said, it will count for Dialogue.

I gave you points for the (fear, anger) dream.

Thorn: Did some research and I’m going to say for the sake of the LC confusion is a mental state, not an emotion. Sorry. :sad:

New Personal Goal noted. :smile:

muccy: Nice try! :happy:

Mew151: TOO EAZY eh? :razz:

Wyvern: :eek: I better have tasted good! :razz:

A WHOLE NEW FRIDGE??? :biggrin:

HeadInTheClouds: Yes the same sight can be counted for both parts.

BrandonBoss: I wasn’t able to score your dreams here as it was difficult for me to follow your DJ entry. Could you please separate your claims in each dream into sections where you were / weren’t lucid as well as clarify which parts happened where? It’s difficult for me to score in its current form.

And yes, you can repeat the same personal goal again if you’d like. :smile:

Rhewin: That took a bit, but your dream dump is scored. :smile:

Task 7 - In Greater Detail
And so we come to the final quest in our journey. You all have been focusing on the recollection of one thing: detail. But what good is a singular detail in the midst of a sea of forms? Nothing. It is singular. And with that, you shall search now for greater detail.

This week’s task will charge you with not only quality, but quantity. You will need to perform tasks similar to the previous ones simultaneously! Not one or two, but at least three to gain points! Of course… should you manage to take in all six at once you shall have accomplished the true purpose of this Lucid Challenge, and so I wish you luck!

[b]1. Take in a panoramic view of the scenery around you.

1. Listen to your heart and the world around you.
  2. Feel the earth in your hands; feel the world hold you.
  3. Breathe in the aroma of the dream spirits; let them fill you.
  4. Taste the nectar offered to you by your mind.
  5. Let emotion inundate you; let your mind be swept away by the currents of your subconscious.
    [/b]
    You may notice there are no scores listed. That is because this task is scored on how many of the above are completed in one sitting. NOTE: you need to experience the six (or any smaller combination thereof) within a short time frame in order for it to be counted as simultaneous. Also, note that if you claim Task 7, you are not eligible for points from the previous tasks. Additionally, previous tasks are only worth one fourth of their listed scores, rounded down.

[color=red]Please note that a DJ entry is REQUIRED to claim Task 7 points. If you do not have a DJ on the forums feel free to post your dream in the thread or PM it to me. When claiming Task 7 be sure to mention that you are (claiming Task 7) in your post and state which of the six portions you believe you accomplished. I will give the final ruling after reading your submission as to how many points you deserved.

Remember, the more detail, the more likely you’ll earn points![/color]

The scoring is as follows: 1000 * (1 / 2) ^ (6 - n) where n >= 3. (Sorry for the maths. :razz:) Note that Lucid, Combo, and Early points involved apply to the six components individually. This means that should you complete at least three (say 3 for this example) you will earn 3 lucid, 3 early, and 2 combo sets.

If you have any other question, please feel free to ask!

You may notice this post is up earlier. Should you still have tasks that complete emotion to submit I will accept them, but I will be unable to post this at 6 per normal. Task 6 will only award early points, though, until 6PM EST (or one hour from this posting) so if you have your dream after, I’m sorry. :razz:

This task will run for one week until approximately 6 PM EST, Sunday, October 6, 2013. At that point in time the awards shall be given out and the next (possible) Task Master shall be crowned! Good luck!

Bonus Task
Congrats go again to Lumessence (for completing the task twice!) and to Mew for his… err… “completion” as well. :razz: Since we’re in the act of creating bonuses from my addictions, why not one more. This weeks bonus…

* Click the Cookie!

Yup. I just did that. :razz:

Scoreboard
This week the creativity points are more of “Interesting Points”. I wouldn’t say any of the accomplishments of this task were ‘creative’, but Lumessence’s emotional tasks were at least emotionally touching to me while reading them. As such, she gains this weeks creativity points.

LC 38 Scoreboard

1. Thorn ( 7510 )

2. Rhewin ( 5140 )

3. Wyvern ( 5045 )

4. Lumessence ( 4030 )

5. LDbc12 ( 2030 )

6. HeadInTheClouds ( 1945 )

7. BrandonBoss ( 1185 )

8. James_UK2008 ( 600 )

9. Yev ( 545 )

10. Mew151 ( 355 )

11. Letaali ( 190 )

12. OlegEqualzName ( 185 )

13. muccy ( 175 )

14. Jessica ( 105 )

15. Ecila6 ( 20 )

16. demented ( 10 )

17. argon ( 0 )

18. catt ( 0 )

19. squoak ( 0 )

20. Scipio Xaos ( 755 )

Since Scipio likes math and most of you don’t, I’ll note that it seems to break down as follows with lucid, combo, and early points added in:

1 or 2 task parts: no points
3 task parts: 315 points
4 task parts: 510 points
5 task parts: 830 points
6 task parts: 1400 points

This does not include points for lucid dream length, new induction methods, or creativity points.

This task is a weapon. In Rhewin or Wyvern’s hands, that weapon might be a blue shell. I am scared.

Okay, I have a huge backlog of dreams to post. But after I’ve posted them, I will have completed my personal task.
Just putting my new randomly generated personal task here so it’s declared beforehand. (using Thorn’s !idea script in irc :razz:)

Um… sure… why not.
You do what ya gotta do.

Okay, I tried Task 7 in a medium-length LD and wrote about it here. It all comes down to how true this is:

THORN!
SCIPIO!
IT AIN’T THAT COMPLICATED…
dude, I almost went to bed with part 2 incubated wrong
Just focus on great enough detail for each sense near simultaneously and that should probably net you points.

I dealt with all five senses and emotion, but still don’t seem to have covered all of the task. I definitely completed Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. For Part 4, I did use my sense of smell on the wet grass in which I was laying, but there were no spirits of the religious, paranormal, or alcoholic type anywhere; I also did not feel full. For Part 5, I did taste a plant, but it was not a nectar-producing plant. For Part 6, I feel that I managed the first half, but I am unsure about the second half about being “swept away” unless a change in dream scene at the same time as the emotion counts.

The following ND had dialogue, and depending on how touch is counted, a feeling of a person’s weight on me (although she touched me instead of me touching her).

EDIT: I asked yesterday about a touch sensation via my foot in an ND (the FLD at the end of yesterday’s DJ entry), then forgot to claim it in my mad rush to get points posted in time for grading. Is it too late to claim those points and their combo points? If not, are they lessened since I’m putting in the claim after the 75% reduction on task points?

Thorn: Aww… All the fun… :razz: But seriously, guys, those are the right numbers. :wink:

And Thorn I scored your Task 7 dream as n = 4 because senses 4 and 5 weren’t very detailed.

Wyvern: New personal goal… noted as soon as you post the other dreams. :razz: Till then you’re still on the old one.

^ I am not entirely sure how to describe the smell of wet grass or the taste of spinach. I can really only describe spinach as one of the few vegetable tastes that doesn’t make me want to vomit. If you’d like to buy me some spinach, I can perhaps go eat some and try to describe it in terms of sweetness, sourness, and bitterness…? I can say it was soggy and juicy, but that’s tactile, not taste. I can say it tasted like my mother’s spinach, but I don’t think that’s the detail you want. Please tell me what you need to know, as the scoring increases nearly three-fold between four parts and six parts.

EDIT: Answered in chat. I’ll probably just ignore the smell and taste parts, as I don’t think I’m capable.

Here is an insignificant amount of points. Dialogue in the first dream, and dialogue, touching (weighty boxes), and intense emotion (fear) in the second dream.

EDIT: I spoke to Bombax in yesterday’s LD as well (for dialogue, combo, and lucid points). I didn’t claim it yesterday due to miscommunication about the rules.

I completed my personal task in a ND. I teleported from one side of a room to another.

My latest dream: Credit Card Payment Facility

I think I have Tasks 1, 2, 3 and 6 in there.

On sight: I put some detail there on the 3D puzzle I was given.

On sound: I had two conversations, one with the lady guard in Filipino and the last one with the two professors in English.

On touch: again the 3D puzzle. I remember playing around with it with my hands.

On emotion: I felt a bit uneasy when I was being held up by the first professor. I felt defensive when Nate started implying it was easy to pay bills. I felt upset and defensive on the verge of crying when I realized they had misunderstood me and thought I was a certain way when I wasn’t (felt this strongly, and it stuck a bit upon waking). I felt freaked out when I saw the guy from the toilet.

I had a dream of playing cookie clicker… damn you, Scipio, damn you! My browser hasn’t been shut since Sunday :razz:

Everyone: Well… despite what vision I had of this task being a perfect culmination… it is far from perfect… In fact… it seems I broke the LC… Or at least the general understanding I get is that I’ve done it pretty poorly…

The good news? The deadline is this Sunday… the bad news? That’s nearly five days away…

One thing I’d like to note, though, is that I won’t be taking new dreams after 6 PM EST on Sunday (unless you have an exceptional case like having a dream at 5:45 and you want to get it typed up… in that case, send me a PM and I’ll accept your dream). Therefore, try to have all of your dreams submitted by then (unless you’re in the exceptions group :wink: ). Sometime after 6 PM, estimated thirty minutes to an hour, I will post the results.

Results are eligible to be contested and changes will be made if any arguments made are reasonable. I will post, during this time, the document I have containing the info on how I scored everyone’s individual dreams.

Thorn: Sorry for the confusion… :sad: As an additional clarification to everyone, if you do Task 7 in a dream you cannot claim Tasks 1 - 6 in that dream. You can claim them in the next, though, if you wish.

LDbc12: You may post a new Personal Goal if you’d like, or you can decide to attempt this one again. Whatever your decision please post it in the thread. :smile:

Jessica: I scored your dream as having components of Tasks 1, 2, 3, and 6; not as Task 7 since the components didn’t occur simultaneously. (Just in case you were confused.)

Rhewin: :razz: I haven’t dreamt of it yet… surprisingly. :razz:

I had some fragments of NDs, written here, that had a mix of emotions.

More important than the points, though, is that you seem to be beating yourself up now and saying you “broke the LC”. I know the way we’ve been communicating in IRC has been a bit adversarial at times, so let me speak openly in this post.

What’s getting to me is really a lot of little things. For example, it’s normal for the LC to have some tasks that are more action-oriented while others are more laid-back, but this LC has been the latter for all seven tasks; getting too involved in an adventurous LD actually threatens to distract the dreamer from the detail needed for points, so it’s been seven weeks of “tame” LDs for me when I’m itching to have some crazier dreams. Also, the scoring system does bug me, but that didn’t start with you — it’s actually a holdover from HeadInTheClouds changing the definition of combo points while also creating some repeatable tasks for LC 37.

I guess the only thing that ever made me “angry” was a lack of clear communication. Your tasks seemed to be written as if the words were supposed to be pleasing to our ears instead of actually descriptive. This is why I’m going about the tasks “literally”, as you have said; it’s not always clear what is necessary, so I do what is written. For instance, Task 7 Part 2 seems to require two sounds to be heard (one’s own heart and some outside sound), but after speaking to you on IRC, it seems that the “to your heart and” phrase was just to make it sound special and doesn’t actually play into the task. Likewise, words like “unusual” in task descriptions seemed to be up to our interpretation, but sometimes weren’t. I would prefer knowing exactly what to do over having the tasks sound interesting.

However, I’m not perfect either. I’ve been way more vocal about small issues than I should be, and it’s clearly making you feel like everything’s ruined. When I prepare a sample LC and talk about how I’d do this or that differently, I’m really just amping myself up to keep LDing; you’ve seen many times in the past that I LD more often when I’m emotionally involved, such as being angry at other LC participants gaining ground on me or being happy about a planned dream. In this case, I’m giving myself something that I’d like to do, and the only way I can do it is by winning this LC. Please don’t think I’m saying such things just to paint your LC as a broken one, as it’s me selfishly saying things to get myself motivated without thinking of the effect it has on you. Beyond that, I’ve been a whiner because I’m up against difficult odds. Wyvern doesn’t have NLDs, and in the scoring system used by you and HeadInTheClouds, his long LDs allow for as many points as he cares to get (whereas the old LCs had a much lower max point value each week given the different method of applying lucid/early/combo points and generally smaller numbers overall). Against tough odds, I tend to lash out at insignificant things, and it’s particularly rough for me this time because I have no control over my standing; if Wyvern wants to win, he will just type enough dreams to win, and if he doesn’t, he will not. I am basically defending myself from third place rather than trying to guarantee first because I don’t know what Wyvern is thinking, and it’s a feeling that’s been dragging me down and making me argue points that aren’t worth arguing.

While I know that I’m not the only one that complained, I feel like I complained the most. I’m not going to fib and say that this LC was perfect, because there are things that I truly believe could have been done better, but I’m making it sound way worse than it actually is because I’m selfish and insecure with the idea that my final standing is not in my control. I don’t hate this LC and I don’t think less of you in any way for the small issues — if I did, I wouldn’t have ask for DC-you as a companion for Tiny Adventures™. :tongue: So for both of our sakes, please stop thinking that you’ve somehow ruined everything, as it’s not a mood I want any friend of mine to have.

Thorn: Yea, but it’s still a feeling of “sigh”. I guess I may have been beating myself up too much about it. I apologize for things like the unclear communication… I was trying to make the tasks seem more involved than they were and that fudged things up a bit.

The good news is, though, that if I ever host again I’ll know what does and doesn’t work. :wink: Thanks for the message.

Also, Scribe Idea: How to Host a Challenge. That would be awesome and it could be filled with some useful tips… like making tasks action oriented. :razz:

3 ND’s in which at least 3 tasks are accomplished. Specifically I have music, more music, and some ambiguous touch/taste stuff.

I had a ND the other night where I saw something inspiring and vivid. There were a whole bunch of black looking birds (maybe chickens?). Their chests were different colors and designs, with every design or color being on only two birds. A lot of the designs looked a lot like a very lifelike and vivid, not to mention feathery, wallpaper.

Okay, so I’m not really sure how this last task works and what qualifies for it. I think that this following dream completes 5 out of 6 of the combinations.

I had a medium LD last night. I was outside and I stood and looked up at the sky. It was night time. There was a tiny looking moon and a few stars. I continued to look around me, not just at the sky, and I eventually saw another tiny moon as well as a cool cloud cover at the bottom of the horizon. I don’t know how to describe it, but the clouds were just awesome for some reason. I smelt the air multiple times, and although I didn’t smell too much, I did get a slight hint of it just smelling like air if that makes any sense. I also stuck my tongue out and licked my lips, tasting my skin in the process as well as actually feeling my skin. That all seemed pretty much the same as IRL. As I spun around, I could definitely feel the earth hold me, but I don’t know how to describe that feeling better. It was kind of like having a perfect sense of direction and thereby not needing a compass. I don’t remember too much sound, but I think I heard a slight breeze; however, the outside place had no people or animals around and was very quiet.

Here’s a medium-length LD with dialogue in the ND part, and touching (window glass and screen) and emotion (amusement) in the LD part.

Double post; I’m so banned. Here’s today’s DJ entries. The first ND has dialogue and music. The second ND has dialogue.

I had a short LD last night. I don’t know if it will count for task points, but I was in a park full of people and could feel the sun very intensely. It was almost more real than IRL. At the same time I felt a cool/chilly breeze while I felt the sun. It was also so real that at times it seemed to be more realistic than it is IRL.

I just clicked the cookie this morning, and I’m pretty sure that game was all I dreamt of through my nap, but I don’t remember any detail at all (not counting it) :confused:

Still have two more nights to this last task!

More dreams today, posted here. The first ND had dialogue, slight fear, and music. The second ND had dialogue. I also have a near brush with WILD, but while I can describe what I saw in vivid detail, I believe it was HI and not yet a dream.

Medium LD here where I consciously attempted Task 7. I had sight, sound, touch(? - felt the air), emotion - happy :smile:

[spoiler]It’s the first time I really concentrated on a specific goal. Last night I thought about what I wanted to do. I had always pictured that task to be on that green hill. I didn’t imagine detail because I decided to let myself do that in my dream.

I had imagined standing on that hill and taking in the view. That same song playing. For touch, I had wanted to lean down and pick up some soft dirt, and feel the world hold me. Smell and taste are my weakest, didn’t really plan those well.[/spoiler]