sometimes too aware in dreams?

it’s been happening a lot recently, when i have a dream and notice something’s out of place . . .
and i realise i’m dreaming . . .
and then i wake up.
it actually happened twice tonight, when i had a dream, woke up, reentered the same dream, and did the same thing. it’s like at the moment i know i’m dreaming that i instantly snap out of it. any ideas on how to stop this and just continue the dream while lucid? i don’t think it’s a stabilising issue, because i’m able to stabilise most of the LDs i have now, but i also when this happens i don’t have a chance to even try

I’ve barely ever been able to pass that moment honestly. To me it’s sort of the immediacy of the realization that seems to throw me off. My knowledge of what’s going on seems to bring the process of dreaming to a halt. I’m not really sure how one could do anything about this, because it just…happens, you know? Maybe attempting to lower your awareness with meditation, and regain it more slowly could work? But that would still take time…

I have seen from personal experience that we often experience these issues not out of coincidence or bad luck, but because somewhere in the past we have unknowingly trained our minds to take actions that may have been beneficial to us before, but, in the present, are now a hindrance to our progress.

Take, for example, the case of young children who, in their sleep hours, frequently experience scary nightmares. Like the fight or flight response, their first reaction to such danger rests whether to confront or escape the situation at hand, and many times a child’s initial reaction to fear is the latter, this in an attempt to avoid at all costs such fearful experience. Additionally, should these children have had occasional lucid dreams during the time they had these nightmares, coupled with the fact they haven’t learned about the concept of lucid dreaming and what it means, then they would most likely opt to escape the dream as fast they can. That is, to wake up from the dream. In time, this will turn out to be their primary course of action when confronting these scenarios, and will secretly begin training their minds to do so automatically for them in the future, like a habit. Now, imagine this has been going on for some time now, it could be months or even years, and these people, now adults, suddenly stumble upon the concept of lucid dreaming. Maybe they were curious about it, or their friends started talking about the topic, or they read it on the internet, whatever. The point is these people find out about all the wonderful things they can do once lucid and the control they can acquire from it, things they didn’t know before. They’re motivated, want to lucid dream, and after some time they manage to attain it, but find out that when they do become lucid, the dream quickly ends and they wake up. They wonder why this is happening, even though they have clearly intended to stay in the dream. What they don’t know is that, they have trained their mind so well in escaping the dream, that retraining their mind to do otherwise will require time and effort.

Now, this case recently explained only accounts for one possibility in a dreamer, but it’s the same for everything else. Most of society regard the idea of lucid dreaming as unimportant or not possible at all, even when there’s enough evidence to prove otherwise. Even when reading about the history behind lucid dreaming, you’ll find out how many psychologists ignored the idea for years. Even some argued that, should someone attain lucidity in a dream, they should wake up immediately from it so as to not waste their time on such frivolities. We don’t even have to go that far: what our friends tell us, how our parents made us perceive dreams according to how they see them. Everything and everyone around us, as we grow up, can have a direct or indirect influence to what we do, believe in, or think about, and that includes lucid dreaming as well.

On the other hand, there are those people who early on, read about the possibilities of lucid dreaming and thus have created in them a very successful set of approaches and habits that enable them to easily adapt against any kind of problem, lucidity wise. Even better, there are many who, without knowing about the topic, decide to engage the situation not caring if it’s a nightmare, or just give in to their curiosity, and thus eagerly train their mind to explore the dream world. These people would ultimately have an easier time with lucid dreams, at least initially, because the ways they’ve unknowingly or knowingly trained their minds about dreaming, in the past, are also favorable habits that benefit them in the future. They take the fight response. So, you see, it’s all really based on how we’ve wired our mind to approach the concept of lucid dreaming and what it implies. Which could mean that relearning an ability to our advantage might take some time.

Now, if anything I’ve said in the beginning (the part about people unknowingly training themselves to escape the dream) doesn’t relate to your case, and you’re the type of guy who early on engaged the idea (read previous paragraph), then kudos! Then the problem might be even easier for you to solve! What comes to mind then is, that the issue may lie in a very strong reaction or emotion that you trigger when attaining lucidity, and that innate response immediately wakes you up from the dream. Remember that modulating emotions is important if you want to stay in the dream. So (this is all speculation), maybe when you attain lucidity you experience a very strong emotion (should it be of surprise, amazement, happiness, excitement, wonder, curiosity, fear, etc.) that immediately collapses the dream and prevents you from even trying to stabilize once inside it. If this is the case, then practicing on modulating your emotions could be your course of action.

In the end it could all be just a simple coincidence that you’re having some problems with maintaining yourself in the dream, and they will most likely clear out in a few days.

This is all I can think of for now. Sorry for the very long post and rambling. :smile: I know you would have probably expected a more direct response and maybe much of what I wrote doesn’t relate to your case or is not even on topic. I just tend to deviate a little from my train of thought and tend to over explain things, or at least it helps me understand them better. Anyway, hope this helps you in any way. :happy:

In my case it was some kind of a psychological phase. As you described I would wake up immediately after realizing that I’m dreaming but because I expected it. You’re right, it’s not about stabilizing the dream, it has nothing to do with that.

I’ve also noticed that this dreams were quite vivid and lucid. A second after I would realize I’m in a dream, well not even a second this “active” thought appeared in my mind: “oh i0m lucid now but I will woke up now” and I would woke up. After some time I realized that this thought was keeping me waking up constantly. Maybe it wasn’t something that started this but it was definitely something that prolonged this frustrating situation.

Try to notice if it’s something similar in your situation too. I’m not saying that it is but it took me some time to notice that. And from that I learned that in a dream actually thought is action. It helped me later on with many things. Once when I realized that a thought is that much powerful many things became easier.

Good luck! :content:

As far as I know, you’re just over excited. Try meditating as soon as you become lucid, or get into a habit calming yourself before each RD. :content:

Maybe not, but it’s possible that it could have been a FA, I get those all the time in my most vivid LD’s. Do a reality check when you wake up, if you don’t already. If you’re getting too excited, try to stay calm and not act too crazy, but that doesn’t sound like it’s a problem for you.

ok thanks for answering guys! i haven’t had any dreams like this since i posted so i haven’t had a chance to experiment, but as far as the cause being overexcitement, i don’t think that’s it :meh: usually–even in my first lucid dreams–i became lucid but then just accepted it. the only time i really became excited was when i first flew (and i admit, that did end the dream soon after–but hey, i was FLYING). so the point of becoming lucid really doesn’t get my too hyped up, only the really freeing moments in a dream where i’m unrestricted. since i don’t have the chance to do any of that before the dream ends, i don’t think that would be the problem.

so the same thing happened to me again tonight (it’s been a while). could it be due to light sleep or something similar? last night when this happened to me my sleep was really interrupted, and i woke up straight away.