The Spirit of Gifting XII
print ShareShare 

Mobile Data and IRC Troubles

Page 1 of 1

Author  Message 
Cornelia Xaos
cookie lover
cookie lover
Cornelia Xaos has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: 314—17/06/2
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's got a blue background with stars, and it's a forum...

Mobile Data and IRC Troubles
PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2014  Reply with quote

So... I've been trying to sort this out for a few days now 'cause my Internet connection has been on the fritz (TDS Telecom... sigh...), and I'm having no luck. I've been using AndChat (though I've downloaded a few other clients as well and it seems they have the problem as well), but for some reason I cannot connect to the chat4all network (nor any network) when using mobile data.

Now I've been in chat before when using AndChat, but that was over WiFi. For some reason it seems that the client refuses to use data to connect as I get the following error message:

AndChat wrote:
Reconnecting to irc.chat4all.org:6667
Disconnected: Connection timed out.

I'm not sure why this won't work. Everything else seems to work fine over data and it says I have a 3G connection with 2 of 5 (or 6) bars so I see no reason why it shouldn't connect... unless it's Tracfone's fault.. tounge2

So.. I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas or suggestions? Thought I'd ask you all first. smile

Current LD goal(s): To Actually LD Regularly Again... Jeez...
Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
cookie lover
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d
Location: Universe............. Favorite Animal: Mew....... Nightmare count: 4

Perhaps it's Tracfone? I know that some mobile phone providers block IRC ports, so that may be the case. Perhaps try opening Miibbit in a mobile browser?

I dunno.

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
Ysim
Playground King
Globahead
Ysim has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Wolfgame
LD count: count++;

To add to what Mew said, my carrier (Verizon) also blocks ALL irc over mobile data. Never have found a reason for it...Just something Verizon does.
If I recall, Tracfone doesn't have it's own network, it uses the infrastructure of other major carriers (which I believe includes Verizon), so I think Tracfone has to somewhat "play by their rules".

I've never had any luck getting Mibbit to load correctly on my phone, but maybe if you could find another web based client? Either way, let me know if you find anything, I'd be interested in finding a workaround myself. Good luck.

Current LD goal(s): Have a game of nighttime-daytime.
Cornelia Xaos
cookie lover
cookie lover
Cornelia Xaos has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: 314—17/06/2
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's got a blue background with stars, and it's a forum...

PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2014  Reply with quote

Thanks. I hadn't considered that. Makes sense though. I'll keep looking around and if I find anything I'll keep y'all updated. Hopefully this problem gets fixed soon and I won't have to worry too much about it. tounge2

EDIT: So apparently the Mibbit Web App will work on my phone's browser! :O

Current LD goal(s): To Actually LD Regularly Again... Jeez...
Tggtt
Host of LC60®
cookie lover
Tggtt has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun, 2014  Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply.

I have wrote this a few times before:
irc.chat4all.com/irc.chat4all.org accepts other ports, such as 6668,6669,7000... Also 7001 ssl.

Try these other ports.

It's rather common that ISPs block ports 6667 (IRC), 25 (STMP), sometimes 22(SSH) and 23(telnet and other stuff). Also they may block file sharing ports (lots).

They also block many more ports for hosting, but it shouldn't be a issue for joining IRC.

Page 1 of 1

print   ShareShare