musical hallucinations while drifting to sleep

I found this pretty weird/cool.

Over the past few nights as I drift to sleep, probably about right before the point you expect SP or half formed images and thoughts to appear, I’ve become aware of hearing music playing. Its not just an earworm because strangely enough, the music doesn’t need me to focus on it to continue. Meaning if I tune it out and then refocus it’ll pick up at a later point as if it’s been playing all along. Many of these songs are songs I have no recollection of ever hearing irl at any point in my past, but they are all beautiful and I wish I could write them down or capture the tunes. There are a variety of genres. Some with vocals either male or female and some purely instrumental.
The strangest part for me? I am incredibly unmusical. i have never mastered basic music keys. I can’t sing to save my life and I often avoid listening to music throughout the day because it makes me feel like my mind is cluttered.

Has anyone experienced this?

Googling tells me it’s a possible symptom of hearing loss, but I find that to be a pretty extreme jump considering I was in a state of relax where all sorts of hallucinations are typical.

Hearing loss? Hypnagogic hallucinations are a perfectly normal part of falling asleep. :cool: I have had this happen many times, and I am always very thankful for it, because the music sounds so much better than anything I could make IRL! The hallucinations can imitate any sensory impressions, not just visual images.

That was my thought! If hallucinations are normal at that point then why not music too?! It’s cool to hear something so complex though. I’m pretty impressed by it. I tried getting it to happen again with no success.

I’m the opposite with music and listening to it IRL. The musical HH 's are a rare occurrence I can’t seem to tame or grasp.

Same here. Those hallucinations sound so beautiful that they really are the most wanted type hallucinations from my side. They were never unpleasant, but very unpredictable like you said, it changed from one type music to something completely different…

About hearing loss - meh. :content:

Seeing this really pleased me actually because I’ve always had this happen to me too! Right before I fall asleep there will be very intense music (sometimes people’s voices) that I can hear. It generally plays very loudly too. And I’m very, very musical so I can actually recognise all of the pieces that I hear from waking memories.
As a habit that I’ve had since I was young I always play piano in the morning too, and sometimes I will wake up with something that’s been playing in my head just prior to waking. For example, only 3 days ago I played a piece on my piano that I’d woken up from hearing. I recognised the piece but had no memory of where from, then the day after as I played it again I remembered it distinctly from the ballet Giselle.