First LD ever!!!! But i have some questions...

Hi there guys i am new to this forum and only joined because early this morning i found out that LD is in fact true!!! :content:

Anyway last night i set my alarm so that it will wake me up in the middle of the night. When i woke up i attempted the FILD technique. I did this like 5 times and it felt like it got close but it just wasnt there.

So i decided to lay there and not move and just try let my body fall asleep and allow my mind to stay awake, which actually worked - Trust me im surprised as hell!!

After my whole LD, I found myself with questions and came here to see if anyone could help me out with them.

Questions:
Why would the FILD technique fail, is there anything i could be doing wrong?
Why did i see a smokey looking demon thingy trying to attack me :eh:
and lastly, during my lucid dream last night i was cold, like proper cold. Can you stop this anyway?

Thanks!! :content: :tongue:

Firstly, congratulations on your LD :mrgreen_hat:.

I’ve never actually heard of FILD before. But after doing a little research just now, it’s possible that it didn’t work for you because you weren’t aware enough and the flicking of your fingers wasn’t enough to keep your mind awake as your body went to sleep, so your mind slept too. The only other explanation I can think of as to why it didn’t work was that you didn’t stick with it long enough and gave up before you fell back asleep. The method sounds pretty solid though, I’ll be giving it a try in the upcoming nights (early start tomorrow so I doubt I’ll get much of a chance to try it tonight unfortunately).

The ‘smoky looking demon thingy’ was either a hallucination that can come from methods such as this, but you’d only see that if you opened your eyes or if it was part of the images behind your eyes. I think it was probably a part of your dream and you may not have realised you were dreaming at that moment.

If you’re cold during an LD then imagine yourself warm, it’s your dream. If that doesn’t work then do something about it, make a fire, go into a building with a heater, pull the sun closer to the planet. As for stopping it I’m willing to bet that in your next LD you won’t be cold since it was simply a part of the dream. If you are for some reason then try one of the things I mentioned or come up with another way to be warm, the possibilities are almost endless.

Hope this helped.

It definitely helped thank you so much!!!
Tonight I’ll try everything again and hopefully it’s even better !!

Maybe it’s stupid to say but I believe that some techniques don’t work for some people at least not in the exact the same way they are described in guide.

For the smoky demon thing I would suggest this video. From different dreamers you will get different advice and answers but this might help you too.

Sometimes when you feel unreal sensations in dreams like cold or heat might actually be a way of your brain telling you that you are cold or hot. Sometimes waking life body sensations transfer into dreams in many different ways but usually they are precisely how they manifest in dreams. If you dreamt of being cold you maybe actually were even though you might think that there is no way of being cold because it’s hot outside at the moment but keep in mind that at night temperature drops significantly the same as your body temperature does. So it could all be just a message that you are cold. Or at the end it just might be hallucination but you need to figure that out…

Actually my actual body might have been cold, because it’s winter where I am.
Maybe tonight I’ll try wear something a little warmer.
The cold was the reason why I didn’t get out of bed. It was honestly so cold that I was shivering so there was no way of me exploring the dream on my first try :eek:

There’s nothing to worry about, of course be sure to have optimal body temperature because as you know from your own experience it might keep your from your primary goal. But those sensations might help you too, trust me, once when you will become aware in the dream the fact that you are dreaming and at the same time being aware of your body in waking life which might be just asleep or asleep and cold will bring another level of awareness and it will make you think that you are existing at 2 different places at the exact the same time.

It’s something that will make your day and something you will simply not forget… :content:

I see what your saying!
Damn I’m excited to give this lucid dreaming another go tonight, falling asleep in about 30 minutes so yippy :cool: :content:
Hopefully I can have another LD! !
Thank you so much for your help guys, was fun!!!

Here are some reasons why FILD attempts failed for me in the past. Maybe they apply to you too.

The most common one is that my mind wanders off and I stop moving my fingers. Sometimes I notice it after a few seconds, sometimes I just fall asleep. I have to be really determined and focused for it to work.

I have to be tired enough. Moving the fingers keeps me awake. When I’m just a little tired, I can normally fall asleep, but not while moving my fingers. Also the more tired you are, the faster you fall asleep.

The transition to the dream is often seamless with FILD. So it happened a few times that I would already be in a dream, but think I can’t fall asleep and get back up. It’s possible that everything looks like in waking life, or you can be in a completely different environment and not notice if you’re not critical about what you perceive.

And for the coldness: It might be that it just was what you felt from your physical body or that it was only a dreamed sensation, as was said before. It’s also possible that you felt just a little cold, or just in one body part (that was outside the blanket) and that this made you dream you’re freezing all over. Sensations and perception from the waking world can appear kind of transformed in dreams. They can be amplified or otherwise altered.

And for the demon thing: I agree with Quicksilver21, it was probably in your dream. You can still go through hypnagogia with FILD, where you can experience strange short snippets of dream-like content. They can be very vivid and feel real already. This is what it sounds to me.