EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

Newbie : Lucid Help

Post new topic Reply to topic

Author  Message 
Ronald
Newbie
New member
22
Posts: 4
Joined: 31 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 05 Jan 2015
 
Newbie : Lucid Help
PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2014  Reply with quote

Hey there,this forum has been a great piece of help lately.
So i'm a new comer in this ..
So,recently i was trying my first WILD this afternoon and i,
Kinda started to feel light,swinging and swaying and rolling,
I kinda had a light headache and i decided to give up as it was being a bit more intense by the time.
Is it normal ?

Secondly,i don't have or rarely have/remember dreams.
When i wake up,im totally out of any memories of dreams ,or
I'm not aware of,so i went for WILD rather than DILD.

Anyways,thanks a lot :D !



Current LD goal(s): Get My First Ld !
back to top
Aalexx
Courier
Lucid Initiate
29
Posts: 60
Joined: 23 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 03 Jan 2016
LD count: 0
Location: Canada
 
PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2014  Reply with quote

Hi Ronald. I am new around here as well, only been practicing for a few weeks. Only been on this forum for about a week as well. But in my experience with WILD the swaying and rolling is quite normal, infact I would say that 9 out of 10 times for me I get that kind of sensation.
I'm pretty sure it's called hypnagogic hallucinations and they are definitely not limited to just a swaying or rolling feeling. Everything including hearing sounds that aren't there, the size or shape of your body feeling abnormal, any movement sensations even fleeting tastes and tactile feelings such as something brushing up against you that isn't there are all considered HH.

I am in the same boat regarding dream recall, at least I was a few weeks ago. I found that buying a dream journal and focusing my attention on my dreams ie. Thinking about dreaming almost all day and being excited to write down my dreams the next morning. Were the things that have helped my recall so far :D

I haven't practiced too many techniques, WILD was my original choice as I enjoy challenging myself and witnessing different stages of my own consciousness. But it has been extremely difficult for me to be familiar enough with that state to know when the right time to "enter" the dreamscape is. I either end up just snapping myself back to full awareness over and over again or I let go of too much awareness and fall asleep. I feel like I'm rambling on so i'll stop there but I hope this can help :D

Also if anyone thinks I'm incorrect please don't hesitate to say so.



Current LD goal(s): Slay a dragon!
back to top
Ronald
Newbie
New member
22
Posts: 4
Joined: 31 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 05 Jan 2015
 
PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2014  Reply with quote

Aalexx wrote:
Hi Ronald. I am new around here as well, only been practicing for a few weeks. Only been on this forum for about a week as well. But in my experience with WILD the swaying and rolling is quite normal, infact I would say that 9 out of 10 times for me I get that kind of sensation.
I'm pretty sure it's called hypnagogic hallucinations and they are definitely not limited to just a swaying or rolling feeling. Everything including hearing sounds that aren't there, the size or shape of your body feeling abnormal, any movement sensations even fleeting tastes and tactile feelings such as something brushing up against you that isn't there are all considered HH.

I am in the same boat regarding dream recall, at least I was a few weeks ago. I found that buying a dream journal and focusing my attention on my dreams ie. Thinking about dreaming almost all day and being excited to write down my dreams the next morning. Were the things that have helped my recall so far :D

I haven't practiced too many techniques, WILD was my original choice as I enjoy challenging myself and witnessing different stages of my own consciousness. But it has been extremely difficult for me to be familiar enough with that state to know when the right time to "enter" the dreamscape is. I either end up just snapping myself back to full awareness over and over again or I let go of too much awareness and fall asleep. I feel like I'm rambling on so i'll stop there but I hope this can help :D

Also if anyone thinks I'm incorrect please don't hesitate to say so.


First of all,thanks for the info,that relaxed me tounge2 !
Hey there,always good to have a companion around :D !!
Been like only 2 days since I' started practicing WILD.
And i kinda never had Lucid dreams before,hehe i'm just a new comer.

And during my first attempt,as i said i felt those swing and swaying stuff and a little headache as well,so i gave up. But what happens next ? You enter a dream directly or have to form an up or something ? Or you enter SP ? Hehe,sorry if im asking a lot of question,just curious

And...
The sort of problem is that i never remember my dreams when i wake up,
Or atleast im not aware when i have some,which makes it harder for me to DILD.
Any solution for that one ? whatsthat
Hehe, so i went for WILD right away,and i like challenges too tounge2 !

Anyways,thanks a lot.



Current LD goal(s): Get My First Ld !
back to top
Aalexx
Courier
Lucid Initiate
29
Posts: 60
Joined: 23 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 03 Jan 2016
LD count: 0
Location: Canada
 
PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2014  Reply with quote

Indeed, always good to have like minded company :D
That's the reason I joined this forum. The ability to ask a question of some very knowledgeable oneironauts without getting the "funny looks" I'd get from some family or friends is a very useful tool in our quest for lucidity.

Quote:
And during my first attempt,as i said i felt those swing and swaying stuff and a little headache as well,so i gave up. But what happens next ? You enter a dream directly or have to form an up or something ? Or you enter SP?


As for what is supposed to happen next from what Iv'e read about,since I have never actually achieved lucidity yet. Is that there are a couple different ways of "entering" a dream through WILD or WBTB. One is to focus on the HI and will into into different shapes and colors at first. Then once you can feel your awareness starting to slip away eg. The random thoughts you are having start to take on a plot or have some sort of story like momentum to them. You use those thoughts and images and try to will your HI to mimic or recreate them. And once you are satisfied with the stability of the scene you can imagine yourself falling into it or being pulled into or whatever. Just some sort of motion based sense to get you into the dreamscape I imagine.

Another way iv'e read about entering a dream through WILD or WBTB, found on this forum actually, is less awareness intensive. All you are required to do with this technique is to hold onto a small amount of awareness as you are falling asleep normally. This is the method I prefer because it feels more natural and less forced. But with this method comes a requirement, you need to be very familiar with that state in which, like I said before, your random thoughts start to take on their own plots and turn into stories and eventually dreams. It's a long and difficult process, at least for me. But I am hopeful :D

Quote:
The sort of problem is that i never remember my dreams when i wake up,
Or atleast im not aware when i have some,which makes it harder for me to DILD.


Okay for dream recall I would try to go back to the last time you could remember a dream. The last dream you specifically remember having, and focusing on that dream. Asking yourself questions about it, thinking about what you could see, taste, smell, feel or sense in any way. And then thinking about dreams you hope to have or even lucid dreams you hope to have. the main thing is for you to place an importance on dreaming in your mind and making it a habit to "daydream" about dreaming tounge2
Having a solid ability to recall your dreams is essential to becoming a lucid dreamer. Without it I'm positive that lucid dreaming would be an almost insurmountable task.
You will, without a doubt remember a dream sooner. Sometimes confidence and motivation go along way. Don't tell yourself that you can't remember your dreams, just that you haven't been placing enough emphasis on them in your waking life.

No problem Rodney, glad to help. Stick with it man rechterduim omhoog met knipoog



Current LD goal(s): Slay a dragon!
back to top
Dream of flying
New member
New member
Posts: 7
Joined: 31 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 19 Mar 2015
LD count: 100+
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2015  Reply with quote

Hi Ronald and Aalexx,

Good spirits both of you. I congratulate the way you have tried keeping each other inspired. rechterduim omhoog met knipoog

Ronald, I would like to share a few things which might be of help. I remember, initially i also struggled a lot with my recall. Just like you I was desperate to improve my recall and probably tried a lot of different methods. A few things were very helpful.

If you happen to wake up in between dreams, do not move, change position or roll over. Do not ask yourself any questions. Don't try to seek the beginning of a dream. Instead, if you pay attention most likely you will at least have a fading visual of how your last dream has ended. Pay attention to it. It is important not to lose the "ending feel" you had. Once you have clear picture of the closing act (or the way it abruptly ended), try to uncover what happened before the end. You have to go sequence by sequence backwards, but usually once you trace a few sequences you will automatically receive a good picture of your last dream. This way you could recover at least 70-80% of a dream.

Obviously you wouldn't have to undertake this process, if you happen to remember most part of the dream. If you happen to wake up in between dreams, and if you can remember most part of the context, all or most of the dream characters involved, and a reasonable sense of the conversations you had - excellent! In whichever case, make sure once you recall a dream, visualize it again and try to stitch the pieces of action into your conscious memory. This i believe is very important. Do not leave recalling dreams till you are fully awake in the morning. Recalling them is a process you do in between your sleep.

Despite trying this if you still struggle with your morning recall, I advice you keep a small notepad, book or a piece of paper (and a pen) by your bed. When you wake up in between dreams, and if you manage to recall a dream either by an excellent instant recall, or a by a sequential recall ; make sure you note down a few keywords and names of the dream characters (if you recognize them). You could include descriptions of characters or places like "old man", "professor" "some assembly hall", "industrial area" etc. Please do not turn on the lights. You don't have to get up for doing this. That may affect the quality of your sleep and it won't be good if you have to make it to the office, school or college the next day. Keep it short, write them down in the light of your phone if possible. And then roll over, sleep and enjoy your dreams. This way, it is impossible to forget a dream completely. smile

Having said all that, it wouldn't work if you are a dead sleeper. sadblauw I mean if you are the type who don't wake up in between at all. Some nights i sleep like that. neutral Only thing i remember is getting under the blanket. And then next thing is the alarm ringing at 8 o clock. Which is a situation that sucks, from a dreamers perspective.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Keep trying. Lucid dreaming is awesome. All the best.



Current LD goal(s): Get back to the habit!
back to top
Ronald
Newbie
New member
22
Posts: 4
Joined: 31 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 05 Jan 2015
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2015  Reply with quote

Aalexx wrote:
Indeed, always good to have like minded company :D
That's the reason I joined this forum. The ability to ask a question of some very knowledgeable oneironauts without getting the "funny looks" I'd get from some family or friends is a very useful tool in our quest for lucidity.

As for what is supposed to happen next from what Iv'e read about,since I have never actually achieved lucidity yet. Is that there are a couple different ways of "entering" a dream through WILD or WBTB. One is to focus on the HI and will into into different shapes and colors at first. Then once you can feel your awareness starting to slip away eg. The random thoughts you are having start to take on a plot or have some sort of story like momentum to them. You use those thoughts and images and try to will your HI to mimic or recreate them. And once you are satisfied with the stability of the scene you can imagine yourself falling into it or being pulled into or whatever. Just some sort of motion based sense to get you into the dreamscape.


Hehe,thanks that made my doubts much clearer.And I see,the kinda getting into the dream part is the one where i'm stucked. i either fall asleep or get exited and wake up or just give up sometimes

Aalexx wrote:
This is the method I prefer because it feels more natural and less forced. But with this method comes a requirement, you need to be very familiar with that state in which, like I said before, your random thoughts start to take on their own plots and turn into stories and eventually dreams. It's a long and difficult process, at least for me. But I am hopeful :D


That sounds better and makes a little sense :D . Well,I guess i still have a lot of stuffs to practice on tounge2 . Hopefully one day we'll make it !!

Aalexx wrote:
And then thinking about dreams you hope to have or even lucid dreams you hope to have. the main thing is for you to place an importance on dreaming in your mind and making it a habit to "daydream" about dreaming tounge2


Oh kay! So its more like thinking about dreams all the day which will help you remember your dreams when you kind of wake up after having dreams,which will help you get lucid later on.... Its deep but i guess i get it tounge2 .

I've this idea for dream recalling, I'll mention it down below!
Hehe,thanks bruh !



Current LD goal(s): Get My First Ld !


Last edited by Ronald on Thu 01 Jan, 2015; edited 1 time in total
back to top
Ronald
Newbie
New member
22
Posts: 4
Joined: 31 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 05 Jan 2015
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2015  Reply with quote

Dream of flying wrote:
Hi Ronald and Aalexx,

Good spirits both of you. I congratulate the way you have tried keeping each other inspired. rechterduim omhoog met knipoog

Ronald, I would like to share a few things which might be of help. I remember, initially i also struggled a lot with my recall. Just like you I was desperate to improve my recall and probably tried a lot of different methods. A few things were very helpful.

If you happen to wake up in between dreams, do not move, change position or roll over. Do not ask yourself any questions. Don't try to seek the beginning of a dream. Instead, if you pay attention most likely you will at least have a fading visual of how your last dream has ended. Pay attention to it. It is important not to lose the "ending feel" you had. Once you have clear picture of the closing act (or the way it abruptly ended), try to uncover what happened before the end. You have to go sequence by sequence backwards, but usually once you trace a few sequences you will automatically receive a good picture of your last dream. This way you could recover at least 70-80% of a dream.

Obviously you wouldn't have to undertake this process, if you happen to remember most part of the dream. If you happen to wake up in between dreams, and if you can remember most part of the context, all or most of the dream characters involved, and a reasonable sense of the conversations you had - excellent! In whichever case, make sure once you recall a dream, visualize it again and try to stitch the pieces of action into your conscious memory. This i believe is very important. Do not leave recalling dreams till you are fully awake in the morning. Recalling them is a process you do in between your sleep.

Despite trying this if you still struggle with your morning recall, I advice you keep a small notepad, book or a piece of paper (and a pen) by your bed. When you wake up in between dreams, and if you manage to recall a dream either by an excellent instant recall, or a by a sequential recall ; make sure you note down a few keywords and names of the dream characters (if you recognize them). You could include descriptions of characters or places like "old man", "professor" "some assembly hall", "industrial area" etc. Please do not turn on the lights. You don't have to get up for doing this. That may affect the quality of your sleep and it won't be good if you have to make it to the office, school or college the next day. Keep it short, write them down in the light of your phone if possible. And then roll over, sleep and enjoy your dreams. This way, it is impossible to forget a dream completely. smile

Having said all that, it wouldn't work if you are a dead sleeper. sadblauw I mean if you are the type who don't wake up in between at all. Some nights i sleep like that. neutral Only thing i remember is getting under the blanket. And then next thing is the alarm ringing at 8 o clock. Which is a situation that sucks, from a dreamers perspective.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Keep trying. Lucid dreaming is awesome. All the best.


First of all,thanks a lot for the effort you put in that,i really appreciate it!
And waking in between of dreams, thats where i get stuck, as you mentioned at the end, I'm a dead sleeper, I get into the blanket and next thing is alarm.

Though, At some point i do remember having a dream when you hear a loud sound in your house and you get that ' RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!' feeling. But those are very ...like very rare, maybe once or twice in a month or two.

But hey, i'm still going to try it, who knows it might work,worth a shot right ?

Well anyways,thanks a lot,made me feel much better :D !!

But, i have this crazy idea.

I know i hit my first REM cycle at around 1:00 AM, Now thats the time when i dream right ? What if i set an alarm about an hr or so , eg 2:00 AM ?

That way, i'll wake up in the middle of a dream,and maybe i could be able to recall it,and get my dream signs ? Tho, i guess there might be a risk of sleep paralysis. eek2
Hehe,anyways,whats the opinion of ya guys ?!



Current LD goal(s): Get My First Ld !
back to top
Aalexx
Courier
Lucid Initiate
29
Posts: 60
Joined: 23 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 03 Jan 2016
LD count: 0
Location: Canada
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2015  Reply with quote

Dream of Flying makes some very good points. And it does seem to be easiest to remember my dreams if I wake up right in the middle of an REM cycle, but I find that I either have a hard time getting up to write notes down in the middle of the night or if I do manage to get up I have a hard time getting back to sleep afterwards. Usually takes me about a half hour to fall asleep on a normal day. I consider myself to be a heavy, or deep sleeper as well but I do my best to offset those traits with a high motivation and setting the intention when I go to bed to remember my dreams.

Quote:
Instead, if you pay attention most likely you will at least have a fading visual of how your last dream has ended. Pay attention to it. It is important not to lose the "ending feel" you had. Once you have clear picture of the closing act (or the way it abruptly ended), try to uncover what happened before the end. You have to go sequence by sequence backwards, but usually once you trace a few sequences you will automatically receive a good picture of your last dream


This is a very important step as well. I have actually been doing this in waking life, a reality check of sorts. I will ask myself what I have been doing in the last hour or so. And I'll do that once or twice an hour and it seems to be helping with how fast I can connect scenes together when I'm recalling my dreams and it seems to be helping with my ability to separate multiple dreams in the same night.

Just another tidbit I find helpful is that you need to arrange a regular sleeping schedule and make sure your getting close to 8 hours of sleep every night. I find that when I do manage to wake up, write dream notes down and fall back asleep, the dreams that I have closer to the 8 hour mark are longer and more vivid. As opposed to the 4:00 AM dreams which always seem fleeting to me without much information in them at all.

Quote:
But, i have this crazy idea.

I know i hit my first REM cycle at around 1:00 AM, Now thats the time when i dream right ? What if i set an alarm about an hr or so , eg 2:00 AM ?


This would be a very good technique to use to give yourself a "boost" every once in a while. I wouldn't want to use it all the time because of the effects it would have on my sleep, as I said before, it takes me on a normal day about a half an hour to fall asleep so doing this kind of thing often would mess my sleeping schedule up. But it would definitely work to get your DJ started and kind of get the gears in motion. Also I find that without the use of an alarm to wake me up ie. just setting the intention, when I go to bed to wake up after a dream. That I don't have as many problems getting back to sleep. Feels like a much more natural transition with no alarm clock blaring loud music to wake me up.

Thanks for your reply Dream of Flying. Solid advice chap :D



Current LD goal(s): Slay a dragon!
back to top
Dream of flying
New member
New member
Posts: 7
Joined: 31 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 19 Mar 2015
LD count: 100+
 
PostPosted: Fri 02 Jan, 2015  Reply with quote

Quote:
I know i hit my first REM cycle at around 1:00 AM, Now thats the time when i dream right ? What if i set an alarm about an hr or so , eg 2:00 AM ?


Did you get a chance to try it?
I can only advice you very little on this. Sure I remember trying this a few times when I started. Since I don’t quite remember the details of its outcomes, I am not sure what to say. Just like Aalex was complaining, I am having my own troubles with sleep (It took me 3 hours to find sleep yesterday cry ). So I'm in no mood to try that out. eh But you might find it helpful to break your deep sleep.

Aalex, I wanted to ask you about your success with WILD so far. How do you find it? From my own involvement with it in the past, I have found the whole experience to be creepy sometimes. With weird sounds and sensations. I've had OBEs a few times from such states.
So, keep at it! It is an interesting thing to experiment with, and you never know you might have a cool out of body experience before you have your first LD. wink

Good luck guys. First LD is only around the corner. I am as well trying to make a comeback. Hope my first comebackLD doesn't keep me waiting too long!

Oh, and I'm still only finding my way around this forums. I found a grand collection of first lucid dreams. Make sure you update your first ones here. bye



Current LD goal(s): Get back to the habit!
back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

print  

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB
LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~