Did I dream about becoming lucid?

So I’m new to lucid dreaming and have been keeping a dream journal for the past week or so, and have recorded at least one entry a day. Last night, for no particular reason, I did a reality check in my dream. As my fingers began to pass through my hand, I could feel myself losing consciousness, so I pulled back, and when I tried again it worked. At this point, I thought I must be lucid, so I tried talking to a person standing next to me. I asked them what their meaning was, and she said, “I don’t know.” At this point I turned around and looked in a mirror. I looked normal, but wanted to have a different outfit, so I changed my clothes into a suit. After this, a person from my waking life began approaching me and I ran. I remember thinking in the back of my head that I could make a jetpack to get away, but I didn’t. This dream wasn’t any more vivid than any other dream, which leads me to believe I wasn’t lucid, along with the fact that I went with the dream plot of being chased. Was I lucid, semi lucid? I’m just looking for someone’s opinion. I forgot to add, I was using MILD technique, repeating “I will remember my dreams” I was not trying to have a lucid dream yet, I am focusing on my dream recall, but I do do reality checks in my waking life.

It sounds to me that you probably were lucid, you cant discount it from being a lucid dream from those two things you based it on.

We can sometimes respond strangely in a LD, it all depends on just how much of our normal waking consciousness has come into the dream. That can also affect how vivid a LD seems. Thou you were lucid, your subconscious feelings and thoughts overrode what you consciously wanted to do (re jetpack), so hence you ran as you would in real life.

:smile: I once fled a huge lion which appeared in a LD before I thought … “wait!! stop!! why on earth are I running from a lion in my dream” so turned to face the lion (by which point I’d run far away and he was gone), sometimes we just react with emotions or due to natural instinct in a LD and have to get over those to do something else.

It sounds more like you were lucid, but at a very low lucidity level. These kinds of dreams happen to anyone. As for going with the dream’s story, either that has to do with the low lucidity or, more likely if you’re newer to LD’s, you might have lost the lucidity without even realizing it.

There is such a thing as false lucid dreams. In our discussions on LD4all, we’ve identified two basic types of FLD. One, you have a dream that you realize you are dreaming, but there is no actual thought behind it. It’s just like you’ve dreamed that you thought something random and out of character, like that you just realized you were an alien or something odd. Yeah, the “thought” is there, but you’re really not aware that you’re in a dream. You’re not the one in control of your thoughts or actions.

The other type of FLD is one where you have full awareness and control over your thoughts and actions, but you are not aware that you are dreaming. Generally you can manipulate the dream, fly, whatever just like you would in a real LD. If you had an FLD, it’s probably more like the first.