Blind spots in dreams?

I just had this last night, and I know I’ve had it before. I look at something, say I’m turning my head slowly, then I reach a point where there’s nothing there. But it’s not black or anything it’s like a strange void, like the dream hasn’t been rendered. It doesn’t look like anything at all because I can’t look at this void. Argh, none of this makes sense. Maybe if you’ve had a blind dream (or like the beginning of a WILD where your sight hasn’t kicked in yet) you know a bit what it’s like. You don’t see black or anything when you’re blind in a dream, it’s like you literally don’t have sight. But what I had last night was a specific place, like a dream black hole or something, like the visual edge of the dream. God, it’s such a weird sensation! If you imagine a dream being an image on a screen, this void isn’t a lack of color, a black blob, it’s more like the edge of the image, there just isn’t anything there… though imagine the edge in the middle of the image somehow… :bored:

Anyone ever had this or have any idea what I’m talking about? :rofl:

(my third thread in this sub-forum in a row… :crazy: )

(You know you love a place when you type out such pointless nonsense that no one will understand and instead of thinking “sigh, screw it” and deleting it, you think “sigh, screw it” and click submit. :love: )

sorry :tongue:

In the past, someone told me about a few things that would cause you to wake up/get a FA/spoil your dream. And as soon as it happened, it actually caused it to me. Then later I noticed that they were spoiled because of this belief.

Therefore, this is one of things that I forcefully reject to avoid spoiling my dreams.

Yes, it has happened a few times, but after I started rejecting this possibility, they just get blurry or dark for a while and everything becomes fine again soon enough.

wow, must be an odd experience. It’s never happened to me … yet. But now I’ve read your post, you never know :uh:

@Tggtt: yeah, since it’s literally a localized lack of sensory experience, focusing on it would probably make you lose touch with the dream. This happens to me when I enter a WILD and instead of focusing on touch and hearing, I keep wondering about and focusing on the fact that I can’t see. All I did was look away to a part of the dream that was “rendered” and the dream went on.

@moogle: It’s weird but pretty interesting, almost like a dream glitch. Lets hope you have it tonight :tongue:

This sounds like something different than the voids I experience. Voids for me are actually just darkness. I don’t feel gravity, warmth, cold and the void produces no sound or light unless I manage to create it. When I enter the void, I can’t feel or see my body most of the time. I have made a dream appear into this darkness and made a body appear for myself. It has been a welcoming, tranquil transition zone. It wasn’t that in my latest lucid dream. I was panicking and suddenly thrown into the void. It didn’t help that I couldn’t control my blinking. A bit spooky experience, but I wouldn’t blame the void for that. I still want to explore the void more when I get the chance.

You’re NOT the only crazy one, mattias! I think experience that (or something similar), too, from time to time.

At least, I think I experience the same thing. The dream ‘not rendering’ is really the best description I could give of it. For me, at least, it’s often only certain areas, often behind me. For instance, if I were to spin in a circle, 5º of the 360º may be a complete void, but I can keep looking to the other side of it and the dream world continues like nothing is wrong. I have lost DC’s and other objects in the void regions as well.

It happens to me more frequently when I’m actively controlling non-lucid dreams. (I’m not aware on a conscious level, I don’t actively question the dream, but I do exert active control. Often summoning/removing things, influencing DC’s to change their attitudes, rewinding or fast forwarding, etc). Sometimes I can fix it by forcing the dream to ‘render’ without looking directly at it. Sometimes it makes me lucid and I just fly off into the sunset. :shrug:

@ Letaali: I know the void you are talking about! Though most of the times I just wake up from it. I shouldn’t have used the word void, it’s not accurate at all…

@Ysim: That’s probably it! :woo: I only remember not being able to look at these places, but actually losing DC’s to it is hilarious! I don’t remember experiencing this enough times to realize the circumstances, but I think I was a bit more aware than my average ND’s, though definitely not lucid. I quite frequently control my dreams without being lucid, I don’t think that has an effect in my case. I’ll sure pay more attention in case it happens again!