Familiar Settings

Do you guys have random locations that seem to happen quite a bit in your dreams (lucid or otherwise)?

Not so much the “you get lucid, then go to the Playboy Mansion” sorta scenario :razz:, but more along the lines of a reoccurring place your mind takes you? Not necessarily somewhere you’ve been before, or one that exists.

Lately my dreams seem to revolve around these two (imaginary) houses. They are absolutely HUGE, very old and abandoned, both in different styles. My friends and I always visit the one on the right, and end up usually peeking out the window to the other house and seeing movement. :eek: :bored:

It’s not necessarily the same dream, since we do different activities and I could be lucid or otherwise, but the setting stays the same. There are a couple of other places that seem to pop up from time to time as well.

What about you guys? :tongue:

I’ve had a large building in it’s own grounds a number of times. Also I will often explore a house and find random strangers in some of the bedrooms. :meh:

That peeking out the window and seeing movement in the other abandoned house sounds eerie. :scared:

Are the random strangers scary? Or is it a “oh… well then” sorta thing?

The window thing IS scary as heck!! One time we saw eyes staring back at us!

The random strangers are a bit creepy as if they are ghosts. :peek:

Most of my dream locations have nothing familiar. About 50% of my dreams have something familiar, but on top of that base my SC has layered a lot of stuff that is not familiar. So places are heavily modified, barely recognizable. I might get FM that I’m somewhere I know, even if it looks different. That actually once made me lucid. I believed to be in some stranger’s house. I followed a DC and noticed that I was in my parent’s house and the scene made no sense.

Yes! I can see that getting you lucid. My brain often mixes up locations like that as well.

My current home and childhood home often get mixed up.

For the abandoned house dreams, the bathroom often looks like the one in the house I grew up in.

Always that sense of “something’s off here…” :razz:

I have a few, although it took me years to notice. I’m not the most observant dreamer, or even in waking life for that matter! :tongue:

There is a fairground by the seaside. Off down a side street is a fun house through a double yellow door protected by two bouncers. When you enter the building, you have to turn left to get to the fun house. On the right is a fortune-teller. I’ve been there numerous times.

I also have a journey home that I recognise which turns I should take. Dream-mind recognition, not waking-mind recognition.

Loads of dream characters who are familiar to my dream self (but again, not my waking self). And lots of characters who know me, although I’ve no idea who they are. :eek:

A newish one is somewhere by the ocean and if I take the cliff path just before sunset, I know I’ll see a spectacular scene. I often wake up just before I get to the exact bend in the path.

These familiar environments should make me lucid, but it’s hit and miss.

My current home and childhood home are often connected or mixed up. Sometimes one house has the other’s yard etc. My neighbor’s house is always shaped like a square, and there are holes and tunnels through it.

There are always lots of pools at the river bank of my home town. There is only one irl, but in dreams, dozens of them. A part of town that used to be flooded often appears as a swamp area in my dreams.

The destroyed Nazi graveyard near my house has wooden crosses marking the graves (there is a basketball field there irl). Nazi dreams are frequent.

The skyscrapers are always wider at the top, and they sway in the wind. There are pyramids under most building. The hills and mountains are all made of sponge.

I’ll try to remember some more.

You people sound like you have amazing dreams!

Tambourine: Your fun house dream sounds like something I would have. :razz: Do you dream of the ocean a lot? Must be frustrating to always miss out on the nice show.

En: Can definitely relate to the homes being every which way, like the abandoned house and a bathroom from my childhood home. (That was the one with the window I looked out of.)

Your dreams are very imaginative! Are you really into history (hence the Nazi dreams), or is it a part of your town that makes them so frequent?

The skyscrapers swaying would be pretty scary. :razz:

I do like history, but they’re more related to the history of my hometown (and, well, the closeness of the actual graveyard) than my personal interest.

I remembered that I often dream about early medieval ruins in the village where my grandparents live. There is always a castle instead of our house, there are some unreachable cliffs up on a hill, and there’s always a place where a witch lives with some wolves.

That’s amazing En. I love the mountains made of sponge. :smile:

Juno - yes I do dream regularly of oceans. The generalised meaning is that water represents emotions. More often than not, my oceans are calm and in the distance, but occasionally they turn into tsunamis. :eek:

It’s really interesting read what others dream of - just shows how different we all are.

That is so cool! It would be fun to crack open your heads and take a peek at your worlds. :smile: The witches and wolves sound like a great story.

The ocean/emotion backstory is really neat. Do you find that they coincide with your stress levels?

I also have a few places that are generalized. Not so much the exact same place over and over, but more of a theme. Different warehouses show up a lot. Don’t think I’ve actually ever been in one IRL. I’ll have to do a million RCs if I do visit one. :razz:

I agree completely. It is a shame that dreams aren’t fully shareable.

I have several stable or semi stable locations in my dreams. Some of them have existed since my childhood.

-The small town I grew up in has two interesting additions: An underground mall, with its entrance at the cement factory, and a river with a bridge over it between the road to the high school and the mountain side.

-There is a swamp next to my parents’ house. The mountain side above it sometimes has Viking tombs or other interesting, historical sites.

-A person who is quite famous IRL owns an awesome, maze-like house in my dreams, full of books, cats, and games. Fictional and mythological characters from many universes can freely come to life there. My dreams also have a very persistent idea that this person is a LD4all member.

-I used to dream a lot about a palm tree with two trunks, standing in the middle of a busy road, overlooking a very blue ocean. This place was reached by walking in a straight line from my parents’ house, or by crossing a dimensional line. I haven’t been there for a long time now.

-Most places within Ceeia are virtually unchanged, apart from the times where I visit it at “interesting” points through its history.

I agree completely. It is a shame that dreams aren’t fully shareable.

I have several stable or semi stable locations in my dreams. Some of them have existed since my childhood.

-The small town I grew up in has two interesting additions: An underground mall, with its entrance at the cement factory, and a river with a bridge over it between the road to the high school and the mountain side.

-There is a swamp next to my parents’ house. The mountain side above it sometimes has Viking tombs or other interesting, historical sites.

-A person who is quite famous IRL owns an awesome, maze-like house in my dreams, full of books, cats, and games. Fictional and mythological characters from many universes can freely come to life there. My dreams also have a very persistent idea that this person is a LD4all member.

-I used to dream a lot about a palm tree with two trunks, standing in the middle of a busy road, overlooking a very blue ocean. This place was reached by walking in a straight line from my parents’ house, or by crossing a dimensional line. I haven’t been there for a long time now.

-Most places within Ceeia are virtually unchanged, apart from the times where I visit it at “interesting” points through its history.

The only place that is the same for me in dreaming is my abode where I live when I’m dreaming the dream…and that’s typically when I roll out into OBE-style WILD’s. That always looks the same apart from a few small details that change upon rolling out…like door handles or single pieces of furniture that are of a different style. Once I’m out the front door, everything progressively changes to an unknown, unexplored place of varying degrees of weirdness. This shift typically happens once I get down to the street…or if I take off flying. It’s like the first 50 meters around my house is home base. Anything beyond that perimeter is an ever-changing Wierdsville :smile: