Lucidity Challenge 50—obfusc8 wins!

Well, might as well give it a shot:

[center]
Eleventh Doctor’s Console Room, Version II[/center]

This is it. The LC is ending. I gotta make this count!

Maybe somewhere game-y?

I had a long lucid dream in which I entered the picture I posted, completed my personal goal (yessss) and I’m not sure if seeing and controlling an animated room could count as dreaming in an animated style? Anyways, it was a lot of fun. :content:

Finishing strong for a change… Medium LD Shrank and explored a fish tank. Transformed into an aquatic animal (goldfish). Raced on a toy race track using a car then a hoverbike.

[color=orange]Stood on air while lucid in a short LD (here)

SPOILER - Click to view

Heh one of those dreams where you tell a DC they’re in a lucid dream and explain what it is. Oh, did I mention we’re in a lucid dream…? :rc:

As for my dream locations are the top of the San Francisco/Radical Highway bridge and Gold Coast, Australia. Hopefully I can use a route throughSpeed Highway to get to the bridge. At this point I’ll need a fairly decent portion luck to pull this off while lucid.

[/color]

I had an ND where I visted the picture in my dreams. It was kind of a creepy abandoned road but at the same time It felt inspiring.

after that I WBTB and had the longest LD ever via WILD . I saw Thorn and Obfusc8, which helped me stay lucid. I did alot of things that weren’t for tasks, but I wont bring them up because the dream was insanely long… I also did many things that were tasks while they were on my mind. I saw a full moon, that was huge in the sky. On top of that, later in the dream I tried to become a dragon. It took a lot of work (and frustration) but eventually I was able to become a colossal dragon inside a city. I actually did inside a building which ended up destroying the building from the inside out. The first thing I did when I was a dragon was let out a massive roar. and caused some more destruction

Summary:

• post pic, dream in it (10 points)
  • Post only one pic (20 points)
  • Early bonus (10 points)
    *Different dream, wbtb
  • Longest lucid dream (outbeating my previous from the Ld4small week)
  • Witness full moon ( 20 points)
  • Become a dragon (50 points)
  • Do so in a city (40 points)
  • Roar (40 points)
  • Cause mass destruction (40 points)

En’enra, congrats on a strong final day! If Jer didn’t post today, you’d’ve taken second place from him since you beat his total from yesterday by 10 points. So close! That said, third place is nothing to be sad about and you had an extremely strong performance all LC long, so I hope you’re really proud of yourself and will stick with LDing and the LC in the future.

obfusc8, a strong finish indeed! You cleared 3000 points in the eleventh hour, which is an amazing feat! I’m still challenging you even if I’m impressed! Double-giant dragon will beat normal-giant, fire-breathing dragon! ROAR!

Koharo, nice job getting an LD at the end. :smile:

Jer, turning into a dragon and being larger than life is quite a nice way to end the LC! Congrats on getting your longest LD ever right at the end! You may not have first place, but you definitely know how to end on the right note!

It’s finally time to conclude the LC! We finish up our story and check out the final scores!

[spoiler]It was a truly amazing sight to behold. Dragons were taking turns one at a time brawling with the gigantic monster that threatened the city. Debris flew everywhere as the titans clashed. Eventually obfusc8, in a show of dream draconic might, managed to tackle the monster to the ground, at which point Thorn shouted, “Alright! That’s enough! I think this LC is over!” obfusc8 released the monster, which walked off into the distance seemingly unharmed…? Oh, right. You’d forgotten it was all just a dream. Was there ever any real danger? You weren’t quite sure.

“Help me pick up the other team,” Thorn said to the other dragons, at which point all of the participants were scooped up and held as Thorn continued to speak. “I think it’s time to announce the final results! The winner is… drum roll, please, even though you all know the results for sure… obfusc8! NO, DON’T CLAP! YOU’RE HOLDING PEOPLE!” Two of the dragons looked down at their hands to find very flat LC participants. It was quite a good thing it was a dream, or the LC would have lost some members.

“Er, anyway… congratulations on your win. You, of course, get to host the next LC, you city-protecting, beach-visiting, cartoon-living, hoverbiking, shrinking and growing werevampiredragon. As for me, well, I’m tired. I haven’t had a good lucid dream for myself since LC 49, and I want my dreams back. So for now, Elcedia is yours to control, and this…” Thorn dropped the most trollish of the LC participants into obfusc8’s scaly hand. “…is your problem.”[/spoiler]
Final Results

1. obfusc8 (3050)
  2. Jer (2465)
  3. En’enra (2165)
  4. Koharo (1230)
  5. Scipio Xaos (1050)
  6. Susan_Y (945)
  7. Siiw (875)
  8. Eilatan (760)
  9. Mew151, drd (470)
  10. James_UK2008 (430)
  11. Letaali (300)
  12. Lumessence (280)
  13. Coasty (160)
  14. Zaibatsu (70)
  15. Yanshuf (60)
    Here’s the final score breakdown. A big congratulations to obfusc8 for his win! He can choose to host LC 51 or pass it on to Jer. The last time obfusc8 had the opportunity to host two LCs in a set of three consecutive ones, he passed, so while I can’t guarantee what he’ll do, I encourage Jer to start thinking of some LC ideas just in case.

Of course, significant things happen in LCs to people other than the winners.* En’enra had a very consistent performance all LC long that I hope she’s very proud of.

• Jer had a very impressive rally in the second half of the LC, moving from 9th place at the start of Week 7 all the way to 2nd place by the end. He had incredibly long LDs on several occasions, finished the LC with a really elegant colossal dragon transformation, and even won LC 1! (There’s no LC 2 to host, though. :tongue:) It’s been absolutely amazing watching his progress and I hope he continues to be a strong lucid dreamer and is proud of himself.
  • Scipio Xaos earned the most character points. If anybody’s aiming to create a stable dream world, having a dream self for it that isn’t just the waking life self is a great first step.
  • Thorn is just awesome. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
  • Eilatan, who used to not be into lucid dreaming much and would often talk of preferring normal dreams, had three lucid dreams this week and showed off incredible incubation skills. I hope she continues to develop both.
    If you have any last-minute points to post, I’ll definitely add them in. I simply put up the results because the top three had their final night of dreaming already and their finishing positions are all but guaranteed.

Jer, Scipio, and I had a Skype talk about this LC, which you can listen to here. Even if you didn’t get a chance to attend the Skype chat, please tell me everything on your mind about this LC. Whether it’s what you liked about the new LC mechanics or what you disliked, your love for certain week themes and tasks or your hatred of them, your feelings on the four- or five-week LCs compared to the older style of seven weeks, or anything else, all of this information will help the next host. It’s impossible for you to say too much, so say everything!

I want to thank all of you for your participation, and may whichever dragon hosts the next LC create the same competitive yet friendly atmosphere as this one had. With that said, this LD4all dragon wants his LDs back, so I’ll join you guys on the participant side next time!

Congratulations, obfusc8 ! :cheer:

Thank you for the kind words, Thorn. :smile: Of course, I’m not sad about ending up in the third place at all. I consider this LC my greatest achievement so far, and the highlight of the year I spent here. There were so many precious and unforgettable dreams. I learned a lot about myself and lucid dreaming in general, even with all the frustration sometimes. Thank you for hosting it and thanks to the other participants, reading about their dreams was an absolute pleasure.

The tasks I enjoyed the most, hmmm… This will probably sound stupid, but I was so happy about getting to drive that bus in the first week. :grin: The stories I was retelling to my friends the most were about playing beach volleyball with zombies and eating in a castle restaurant. Of course, I enjoyed the Vampire/Dragon tasks immensely.

As I said in chat, there were two breakthroughs for me - transformation and teleportation. I need more practice with the first, but having an effective means of teleportation will make things a lot easier for me in the future. I’m really glad that the LC was set up to practice the things I wasn’t good at.

Best of luck to the host of the next challenge. I’ll have to skip it because I’ll need to focus on other things in the following months, but I hope I’ll do even better when I return to the LC. :cool:

Congratulations to Obfusc8 for winning the 50th LC! :happy:

I would also like to say thank you to Thorn for hosting such a great competition. The LC really helps me grow as a lucid dreamer, and forces me to do my best in a competitive setting. I had some of my longest LD 's over the last couple weeks… that wouldn’t of been possible without you guys. Good luck to all you dreamers in the next LC!

if obfusc8 chooses not to host the next LC , I would gladly host.

Sorry to keep people waiting, it’s been a rather manic day for me. :nuu:

Well I’m glad the forum was down for maintenance this morning when I was going to post my reply… I have stuff left over from my previous hosting that I couldn’t fit in, knowing it was going to be a busy summer for me with work and personal projects meant making a quick 4 week challenge instead. So my intention if I won was to host, but now I know this, I’m passing to give Jer the opportunity.

(That and it’d be nice to get away on holiday before the end of the summer, so might take a few weeks off from the lucid practice anyway.)

Regarding feedback… week 7 was epic. :happy: You probably already gathered that I found those tasks really fun. Also the hoverbike week was awesome - any excuse to mess around on two wheels (even if they’re hovering off the ground) gets my vote.

Bad stuff… honestly weeks 1-3 found my motivation dropping. There were only a couple of transformation tasks and flying ones that I was really interested in. You wouldn’t catch me in a gym or a sewer in RL, let alone spending valuable lucid time there. I love the outdoors… why do a spin class in a gym when you can hop on a real bike and go for an adventure? But that’s just me, and weeks 4-7 more than made up for it. :content:

En’enra really challenged me all the way through with impressive long lucids and dream control. Jer kept the pressure on at the end, forcing me to up my game and not slack off. So thanks to you both, and to Thorn for hosting. And thanks to all the other participants who shared their dreams, they were cool to read… beers or non-alcoholic beverages of your choice all round. :beer:

But… but…! Nooooooo… my dragons must keep dreaming!

That said, hosting is your decision, whether Jer wants to or not. :tongue: I was just quoting what happened before, not saying you should or shouldn’t host. :smile:

I agree! You won the LC, not me. You have every right to host if you so choose.

Nah my ideas will keep. :smile:

Last time I passed on hosting we got an awesome rpg heavy lc with custom avatars and scoreboard plus gratuitous host-insert fan-fic stories! So I’m gonna take a break. Its always good to have variety, right?

Grats on becoming the next LC host, Jer!

Congratulations obfusc8! :cool_laugh: And thank you Thorn!

Alright then, its official.

I’m honored to be the host of the 51st Lucidity Challenge!

I listened to your conversation on the bus and had to stop myself from laughing out loud, as not to look like a weirdo that was laughing at nothing. I apparently had more than I thought to say, but only because I mapped out what I say in the same structure as your conversation while listening to it. If anyone wants to read what is practically a praise to this LC, click the spoiler:

[spoiler]* I loved the 50 days for LC50. You can always trust Thorn to make the LC mathematical in some way.

• Dreaming with the LC Host/participant was a nice way to dream with others. As Thorn said, presences is really needed for this to work effectively. My choices for dream partners ended up being Thorn, Siiw, Scipio and Mew, but that was because I speak to them in chat the most, and also the simplicity of their characters.
  • I’m unsure why you think the RPs were cringe-worthy, Thorn. As you said, they really gave your character character. They gave the LC more of a story feel, and made it easier to string together the tasks into a story.
  • Sometimes having so many tasks can be jarring, but the story, and the type of tasks really allowed coherence between tasks. As you said, LD4Small gave a great opportunity to go back and do tasks you liked most or missed.
  • I am apparently really bad at location based tasks, when they are in buildings. I think it was a good idea to set the location tasks first, because it gave settings that people could go back to and do tasks in, and get themselves extra points. No one ever managed to gain muscle or fat, which is interesting because it seemed there was a lot of focus in this LC about being aware of your dream self.
  • I loved the characters, and ditto that I would like if it stuck around. As said, it gave people a way to be aware of their dream self, and being aware of your dream self leads to more LDs. As someone who never notices my gender in dreams, having that incentive to actually notice was awesome.
  • I have to wonder, Thorn, did you read everyone’s dreams, or just update the points on the basis of what people claimed? I would estimate there were at least 500 dreams for you to read, so if so kudos to you for reading them all and being so timely in spreadsheet updates. (Also kudos to you who is reading this long spoiler).
  • As the others mentioned, I liked the subtasks but I wish there was more pre-requisite tasks/subtasks (such as in “Aaahh!!! Dream Monsters”). I know people complained, but it gives incentive and pushed us to want to get 300 points, especially for me as someone who has never flown in a dream before.
  • I’m sorry you fell during “An Animated Competition”, Jer! You can blame me for loosing your LD ! But it just made sense to fall and make a hole in the ground when you did it. Sorry for the trauma!
  • The tasks I missed points for were “Thorny Hawk’s Pro Skater” and “Aaahh!!! Dream Monsters”. Not because they weren’t interesting, (and there was a vampire in my dreams later), but my sub-conscious likes to troll me by giving me heaps of points one week and then none the next.
  • LD4Small was a great way to catch up on tasks, since it was possible to be small in pretty much any of the other tasks. As it was said, all the tasks flowed together and Week 5 was a way to string through previous tasks (like Thorn’s example of being in the snow of a snow globe).
  • I liked the Week 6 idea of getting on your own team through your dreams. Not only were you fighting to get on your own team to create a task, but for the small victory of being a leg leader for the reward of getting to be on the action team of the last task.
  • The leg thing! What! That was awesome! Getting some sort of small victory that paid out to the first time I have ever been a dragon-oid thing. Again, awesome incentive!
  • Fitting an LC inside an LC is so Inception of you, Thorn. It was really fun to get to experience the first LC, even if adapted. I am glad they were adapted to make sense, and I am also glad we got rid of that penalty for doing a task on a different day. Would have ended up with no points if that still existed.
  • Also congratulations to Jer who not only won LC1 but actually beat the winner of LC1 by 305 points.
  • As said in chat, it obvious some people lost motivation during this LC, or lost track of the LC entirely. I know that people have a problem where they look at top contenders and wonder what the point is, but I feel like the story style of this LC and the multiple points for incentive drove me to keep going.
    [/spoiler]

Excuse me, Mr. TM, I’d like to complain that there is a person here not giving himself enough credit. Expecting people to find something bad about such a great LC. An LC that inspired a person who was against having Lucid Dreams to actively seek LDs. A person who created such a well crafted LC that it was more than awesome to string together tasks into amazing dreams. I am sorry you critique yourself so much, Thorn, but I cannot find a bad thing to say about this LC, especially as it not only gave me ample amounts of inspiration and ideas for incubation, but gave me the most interesting dreams I have had all year.

/me gives Thorn LD cookie and hugs

And thanks to you, Thorn, for hosting such a memorable LC. It will be interesting to see you on the participant side. :content:

/me waves to Jer :happy: