LDs and pain

Hi, I’m quite new at this forum, and I hope you will understand my english.
I was reading some of these very interesting topics and, since I’m not a lucid dreamer yet, I want to ask something about pain to you lucid dreamers.
Have you experienced LD while feeling pain? For example if you broke a leg and that night you entered a LD, would you feel the pain? I’m asking this for two reasons: if you felt pain and couldn’t get rid of it even in LD I have nothing else to say, but if you could control your pain, is it possible that this could be a way to understand how to control pain even in RL?
Well, I don’t even know exactly what I’m asking since I’ve never been lucid in my dreams, but maybe it makes sense for you, let me know…
Bye

Longing to become lucid soon Vinz
Jan LDs - 0
Feb LDs - 0
Mar LDs - still 0

do something very painfull in RL and just imagine that you don’t feel any pain. does it work? :cool:

I don’t know if feeling pain is related to LD’ing. One time I drunk too much water and feel an urge in LD. I thought that I can “turn it off”, because it’s a dream, but I realized that it’s real, so I woke up to go to bathroom :content:
To control pain IRL? It’s all matter of concentration. When you’re concentrated strongly on something (or hypnotised, which is quite the same thing) you don’t feel pain. I think it can be achieved also by PHS (post hypnotic suggestion), and it’s much easier to self-hypnotize yourself in a LD.

In that case, I’d say it’s likely that you would. Dreaming doesn’t block information coming from your real senses, because that information is used to ensure you aren’t in any danger. For example, sounds in RL often make their way into your dream, as do changing light levels, tactile sensations, and so on. Whether it would feel as strong in the dream as it does in real life is questionable, though. I can’t say I’ve had much experience with sleeping or dreaming while in a significant amount of pain.

[color=indigo]
I do this. Can stand a LOT of pain doing this! Sorry ot (hehe)

anyway…I wouldn’t think you would but, atheist, you make sense. But I must say that when I woke from a LD once, I was laying almost double and in excruciating pain, but I didn’t feel anything in the LD.[/color]

It does help alot in my case yes, but pain does not go away completly.

What was causing the pain when you woke up? Something you did before going to sleep? That’s pretty interesting, I’ve never experienced spontaneous pain from waking up. I’d actually be quite concerned.

[color=indigo]I’d been laying in a REALLY bad position for sleep. So I didn’t do it before I went to sleep, but if I’d have felt pain if I had, I’d probably say I’d have felt this. It was like my back was being ripped apart!

Don’t know HOW i got into this position, legs and arms all over the place…but I know it hurt lol[/color]

Actually, you just reminded me of a fairly common occurrence which I completely forgot about. I seem to sleep on my arms quite a bit, because I often wake up to find that one of them is entirely numb and doesn’t want to move properly. In some cases it can seem like there’s almost no circulation to it at all, and I usually have to wait a few minutes before I can move my fingers individually. Not to stray from the topic too much, I never seem to notice this in the few dreams before waking up. Admittedly, however, I don’t recall ever waking from a lucid dream to a dead-arm, so I can’t tell if it was apparent that it was numb in the dream or not. I’ll have to pay more attention in future.

There are so many things I have to learn to watch for in dreams, I’m seriously gonna stop coming on here lol. This place gives me too many ideas…so, next time I do WILD or anything, I’m gonna get into a position that I know will hurt later on, and see if anything happens, and see if I’m still in that position when I wake. I just hope nothing gets so numb it falls off :bored:

Sensations depend entirely on the person. I haven’t felt pain in my dreams before, even while lucid (for instance, I used to plummet into the ground when flying yet it just feels strange, not painful).
Other people may have to deal with pain.
I’m guessing that pain is usually paired with nightmares.
Other than that, try to experiment with pain.
Compare the sensations to that of reality.
I’m not suggesting that you stab yourself or something :tongue:
It’s just that experimentation will only help you, in my opinion.
And if you’re not LDing yet, reflect upon feelings and physical contact that takes place in your dreams (focus on writing about sensations in your dream journal… if you have one that is).
Take care!

In theory if you had a broken leg and felt pain in a lucid dream, couldnt you channel that energy away or just fly and feel your leg floating?

• Silva

Channel it away? You mean, stop the pain? Yes, you could.

What do you mean about flying?