Technology analogy to dreams

I wanted to start a new topic, which I think has the potential to help understand the phenomenon of dreaming.

The main inspiration for this comes from a Norwegian author, Terje G. Simonsen, who has done research on reports of the paranormal and current understanding of physics. In his book (my English translation of the title: “Our hidden abilities”), he repeatedly uses the analogy of “the mental internet” to describe his take on the reality of paranormal experiences. Shortly explained, it means that we’re all to a mental field.

Another technology analogy would be ourselves as infomation systems. Memory can be compared to a hardrive, there are scripts for certain situations, the brain is like a processor, which different functions etc.

Something I thought of recently, was if the dream-state could be understood as being disconnected from the external senses that we rely on in our waking lifes? Being disconnected from these senses, the nature of our experience change as being in a dreamscape. It’s also possible to think of the mind being a sensor-system of it’s own apart from the external senses (the five external sensor-systems). There’s maybe a decoder in the brain that translates sensory input into something computable by the mind.

In terms of technology, what would constitute the mind? Is it like an operator outside of the machine, or is it just another part of the machine? Does all the intentions araise from within the system? Is there a selection of images that constitute a definition of “self”? Is there a blueprint (a class in order of object-orientated programming language) for the self upon which we build our images of “self”? Are there concurring processes within the system? If so, how are resources being distributed and prioritised? (A mouthful, I know).

I’ve had experiences while dreaming telling me that the brain is processing input from my waking life, in sort of meaningless and mechanistic ways, but I’ve also had experiences of meaningful content speaking to my life and choices to make. I am curious as to there are different levels within the dream-state.

Occured on the LD4All Chat during an talk about OBE-WILD:

SpiritualSeeker: It’s so weird that such experiences are “normal”.
Soothsayer: Why is that? When your senses are closing down (services in Windows) and the CPU is still running at 100% and the computer has the secret, dream life, the sensorys will be messed up at the crossing point.
SpiritualSeeker: That is one way to put it!
Soothsayer: When having the OBE-WILD you actually feel how the gravity is built from nothing. It is shaky for the first 30 seconds.
SpiritualSeeker: What part of the computer has the secret dreamlife, if not the CPU itself?
Soothsayer: BIOS

First of all I don’t buy that mental field theory. But there are built-in scripts in us and those starts running when the bad or scary things hits us: The survival instincts.

It would be neat if someone would study does for example the adrenaline levels rise during the short passage from the waking life to dream when obe-wild takes place, with all of those sometimes odd sensory failures and reboots happening.