Tutorial: Beginners Guide to Lucid Dreaming

This is great, thanks for sharing!

I’ve been avidly keeping a dream journal since starting trying to LD and the progress for me has been very noticeable every night. You make a lot of good points which seem obvious but to a beginner, like myself, you get so engrossed in researching everything you almost forget to focus on the key elements. I was almost getting overwhelmed by all the techniques but after reading this I’m planning on sticking closely to the basics and letting the rest unfold. Thanks again!

i’ve just gotten back into dreaming and i’ve been having problem remembering my dreams. i’m following TS advice, keeping a journal as i did before when i did LD:ing. But it seems like its not getting through.

I wake up 6 hours after going to sleep, keeping a journal, and reading something about lding before bed. the first day of trying i remembered 3-4 short dreams. second day, none. and today when i snoozed i remembered the dreams i had while snoozing(acctually LD’s) but the dream during night is a complete blank.

The LD’s i had this morning was very vivid, smell, touch, sight, hearing. all of them but NDs at night is comeplete blanks! advice?

Don’t worry so much about it. DR needs some time to reach and stay on a standard of a few dreams a night. The night’s sleep is deeper than the sleeping time in the morning, so remembering the morning dreams is easier. Try a mantra if you haven’t already. Keep it up, you will get there again! :smile:

ok, thanks for quick reply. i’ll keep at it!

Thank you so much :happy: Now I have so much courage to go and try this. I use to have LD all the time when I was young but then I stopped. This thread really is going to help me get back on track! I can’t wait to have more LD!!! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

It’s actually quite logical.
When you actively try to remember your dreams you teach your brain to be more aware of everything in the dream, and thus you notice much more details.
Think of it like daydreaming in real life - whenever you are lost in thought you very easily lose track of everything around you, and people may even call at you and you won’t react.
But if you “wake up” you suddenly realize where you are, what’s going on around you and what people around you are doing.
It’s the same with dreams.

I wrote in my dream journal and I remembered all 5 dreams I had in one night. Does this mean anything because I just started and I heard that in the beginning you dont really write much but it ended up being about 3 pages… :confused:

It’s common for people to not remember much of their first dreams when they start out, but you can certainly have a great memory even on your first attempt.
The amount of sleep you get is a very important factor, because if you sleep long enough to be able to wake up naturally without an alarm you will normally wake up in the middle of a long REM stage, which makes dream recall a lot easier.

Hey all,

I don’t pop in much here as of late, but I’m glad this guide is still helping those learning how to lucid dream. I still teach this same very method to friends who show interest in the dream world, and they are always amazed at what they learn in their dreams.

To answer some questions of why dream recall increases vividness (which have been quite well responded to already), vividness implies high amounts of detail, and detail comes from awareness. By training your brain to be aware of details, dreams will become increasingly more vivid as you are aware of more things around you. I know this may seem circular or backwards, but the reason things are so vivid when we are awake is that our brains are active and constantly analyzing the details of our environment; in dreams, we are not, but we are trying to change that! Think about some vivid memories you have; you mostly remember all the details, but you also remember very minor important details as well!

I don’t go too much into the theory for two main reasons: 1) Its a beginners guide and theory can been complicated to those unfamiliar with the dream world, and 2) dreams function a lot off self-assurance, and self-confirmation. Your dreaming capabilities will be far greater if you figure things out for your own in the dream world, which is also half the fun! This guide simply helps get you to the dream world.

I’m love to read the posts in this thread, and am happy you are all finding it helpful! Happy dreaming!

Superb!

I hope im going to keep up my journal now cuz of this, it all made sense and I really understand the importance of writing my dreams down. This guide helped me alot!
Thank you

Wow,

This guide was posted more than 3 years ago. Most of the participants of the thread haven’t connected to the site for at least one year or more - including Rathez, the op.

Still, this is possibly the best guide possible for an aspiring lucid dreamer. Simply amazing and motivating and yet - simple:
To summarize in a nutshell (including some of my own contributions)

1. Record your dreams, to the finest details. Everything you remember, including feeling, people descriptions, expressions, hair style, clothing, smells, sounds, sights, colors - everything.
  2. If you are unsure about a detail, write it and specifically write you are not sure about it. Try hard to remember and try to visualize that detail see if it jogs your memory.
  3. go over the entry again a bit later, and add more detail if you can remember it (easier when you type)
  4. Analyze your dream logically while still visualizing it. Seriously ask and try to answer, all kind of questions about the deam like: “How did I get there so fast”, “How did that happen, it is not possible”, “Why was I thinking about that, I never do” etc… Question anything that is not logical. If you remember more details about the dream - add them!

Don’t be lazy - this is THE way for LD. Everything else (WILD, MILD, SSILD, VILD, DEILD etc…) builds on top of that.

Thank you so much for posting this !

I’m a total beginner in the lucid dreaming world, but I’ve already a pretty good DR…
Following the advices in the guide, I started my DJ a week ago, and I have had some great results so far :smile:

One of the best thing concerns “boring” dreams… I used to not pay too much attention to them, because nothing amazing or of interest was happening. But I did pay attention to some details in those dreams and I did recall some weird details :eek:

Also, by trying hard to remember the details, I realize that I had a smell sensation recently…

Again, thank you for writing this guide, as all the induction methods seemed rather confusing to me. I will proceed with augmenting again and again my DR, and then maybe I’ll try a method (though I have no idea of which one would best work for me :confused: )

'till next time !

@Rathez : Do you know if your guide has been ever translated into french ?

Rathez hasn’t logged on to the site for almost a year now…

Not to my knowledge.

Your Post made really made me think about how super important the DJ really is!
I started the first day with reading every good information about the topic i could find, and wanted to do so many things at once, which expectedly overwhelmed me…
Now at about day 4, after starting the training with a DJ, a lot of RT 's and many other, as well training my memory, I try to cut the ‘fancy’ things back (techniques etc.) and put some effort into the basic skills :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you so much again, sometimes one (and I am certainly one of em), needs a ‘reminder’ to start with the most simple things and build it up from there :stuck_out_tongue:

P.s: Hello ld4all community :slight_smile: Thus, this being my first post (and I like to mention, containing grammmatical errors for the sake of your enjoyment :slight_smile:
I am glad to share my interest in lucid dreaming :))
(NO surprise I know :P)

Greetings to all and all the best!
Lucil

@Lucil: Welcome! :wave: although I’m a bit late…

DJ is probably the most overlooked part of LD’ing and rathez’s post really makes it clear why. Most people are likely turned off due to it being somewhat boring and time consuming, but personally speaking, the time I really invested in DR and typed out as much detail as humanely possible was by far my best dremaing/lucid dreaming phase. I wish I had the time and motivation to get that dedication back!!

totally agree with you!!

Thank you !
Very complete, exactly what everybody needs here !

The french forum is closed since the admin left. As I am not a LD Master, I hope someone will have the time and motivation to run it again.

@lawrens Je pourrais te le traduire si j’ai la foi mais le forum fr est fermé de toute façon.

Great great guide man, i support this x1000.

I decided to start my quest to lucidity after many reading and the fact that i’ve experienced lucid dreams 2 times already.
Out of my many readings i knew the first thing to do was to start a dream journal. So i bought one pen and a notebook to start writting them down, i only use this note and pen for this and i think it is important to makes it really connected to dreams.

I’ve started autosuggestion method to induce recall and consciousness during my dreams and try to do it as near to the sleep as i can.

I try to put all the info i can get about dreams, sleep, lucid dreams into my journal between my dreams to makes it more readable. So if i have nothing but my journal (i always have thoose two with me, anytime ^^) i can read it a bit before sleeping.

Thanks you for this, everyone should read this before start to concider other advanced method.