I can't get a LD with a WILD (without WBTB)

Hi all !

As you read in the title, I have troubles getting LDs. I heard about lucid dreams 8 months ago, and I try my best everyday to become lucid. I am trying to LD using WILD without WBTB, mainly because I don’t want to sleep less on school days. My first and only LD was on the 11th of November. Ever since that day, I didn’t manage to experience it again. Of course, I use other techniques - RT and writing my diary are my daily routine.

I read on a french forum lucid dreaming with WILD w/o WBTB is possible, so I started practicing a week ago. Here is what happens everytime:

After relaxing for a couple dozen minutes, I feel tingling, at first in my feet, then all over my body. Few minutes later, it feels ike something pulls me up (into the LD maybe ?). But then, everything stops. The sensation of lifting gets weaker and weaker, before disappearing. After that I usually can’t sleep for 2 hours (duh)

It’s always like this. It almost feels like something retains me from jumping into the amazing world LDs are.

I’m trying to understand what’s happening to me, so if anyone out there has a clue about what’s going on, any help is appreciated :wink:

Thanks for reading !

I would suggest to not use WILD without WBTB since WILD are nearly inefficient before going to bed (at least that’s what i understood).

If you are a newcommer, as me, i would suggest you to stick on something like MILD and autosuggestion, while doing RC and filling your DJ.

Good luck finding lucidity !

I have already tried MILD and autosuggestion, without much success.

Some people say WILD without WBTB is possible, some people say it isn’t. I’m trying to find out the truth.

But yeah, doing RC and filling my DJ is all I can do for now. Although I can’t really fill it properly, since my alarm is pretty loud - I have to turn it off as soon as it starts.

Everything is possible. However WILD works just so much better after WBTB

I would suggest having a look at my topic in QfL,
I practice a WILD variation which is quite simpler to pull off
Perhaps it can work well also for you…

Thanks for responding Genghis :smile:

Your technique is quite interesting, but it needs WBTB to be interesting enough to try it. You said in your topic getting the technique to work required a lot of effort. So my question is: Is switching for your variation worth ?
Before leaving what I started, I would like to know if the outcome will be different in a good way.

Does your technique have a stronger snowball effect ? How long does it take to fall conciously asleep ? (again, sleep time < lucidity but it’s still important)
How much time did it take to master ?

After thinking about it, I can try WBTB on week-ends, but in my opinion 2 nights out of 7 isn’t enough.

No problems !

Based on personal experience, and much reading, any WILD technique at bedtime is quite ineffective because:

• you are usually tired, so fall asleep quickly
  • REM periods are short and very much apart from each other at the beginning of the night

So, my personal opinion, if you are serious with any WILD technique, you will have to interrupt your sleep schedule.
The simplest solution is just going to bed earlier ! :content:

About my personal WILD variation: it didn’t required any effort; quite the opposite, I developed it quite naturally and effortlessly and just stuck with it because it’s so effective for me !

Not sure about what you mean by snowball effect.
As I write there, the mind movie (continue past dreams, see places/people I know, etc.) just naturally evolve into a LD, without any side effect and without any break of consciousness.

How long it takes to fall asleep is really a personal matter.
Myself I am quite a deep sleeper who normally falls asleep very quickly (<5min).
When using that technique my body goes to sleep without me even noticing, I would say it takes me the usual time before the HI becomes a proper LD

Hope it helps

Snowball effect = The more you succeed, the easier it becomes to do it again

The fact you developed the variation almost naturally isn’t reassuring at all. In fact, the original person who had WILD without WBTB developed the technique effortlessly too. Which means I haven’t reached the “hacking” level required.

Yes, I think LD are hacks. Hacking = getting access to something normally unavailable. You technically hack your brain, right ? Well, it’s exactly like computer hacking. Some people (you) are really good at it as soon as they get the basics while some (me) need to work much harder.

For me, the hardest part is regulating levels of lucidity. If I’m too focused on what happens, I won’t get into a LD. If I’m not focused enough, I’ll fall asleep.

By the way, I can be a very “unstable” sleeper. I can sleep 9 hours like I can sleep 14 (especially on week-ends). Do you think this has an impact ?

Oh, and do you mind getting in a PM ? I’d really like to develop a bit more with you :smile:.

Got it ! Nope, actually it became a bit more difficult at times because other practices got in the way…

That’s the really difficult part of the “classic” WILD - too much attention and the HI withdraws - too little and you drift to sleep
I find my variation good because it requires you to be attentive, active and participating all along, to turn HI into an LD…

Generally speaking, I think that many sleeping hours of yours are quite good, and an asset in any LD-related practice.

It would be a pleasure receiving a PM if you are interested in any particular detail or just to get to know each other better…