Page 1 of 1

Author  Message 
Praxis99
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Many

Far too up close and personal dream characters
PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2016  Reply with quote

In the last year or so I've noticed an odd trend in my lucid dreams (such as very vivid one I had just last night) in that dream characters get into my 'personal space' in an disconcerting way, a bit like the unwanted experience of having as stranger sit too close to you on the train where there is plenty of room. It feels like they want to stick to me (almost aggressively) like glue at times and its spoiling my lucid experience since they seem almost impossible to shake off so I have space to explore and enjoy the experience.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas as to why? as well as maybe suggesting possible in-dream strategies for dealing with the same.

Current LD goal(s): To have regular, longer and more vivid lucid dreams

Last edited by Praxis99 on Tue 19 Jul, 2016; edited 2 times in total
glypheye
Truant Traveler
Astral Explorer
LD count: 130 roughly

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2016  Reply with quote

smile I've definitely had this happen on several occasions. I remember one sequence of LD's one morning which were a kind of a series of DEILD's in which I became lucid entering into the same dream on 3 separate occasions in which I became lucid in a dream, lying in the same bed I was asleep within. On each occasion, I got up out of bed and walked toward my bedroom door to find a woman dressed in grey with a grey shroud covering her face in front of the doorway. Very eerie/creepy. And each time I tried to move toward the door, she moved directly in front of me blocking my way...and got right up in my face. The first two times, I became startled and woke up, but attempted DEILD to go back into the dream to try to confront the situation in a different way. The third time was the charm smile Again, I became lucid lying in bed and got up and again saw the woman who was blocking my way just a few feet from the bed. This time, when she moved to interfere, I grabbed her in an embrace and dropped to the floor on top of her. It wasn't sexual at all, trust me....I still felt this almost unbearable bodily fear. I pulled back her veil and looked directly into her eyes with our noses almost touching....kind of like giving her a taste of her own medicine...and I just stared into those giant deep blue eyes impassively without saying a word. After a few moments of this staring contest smile , she countered with drawing her head up to my right ear and began whispering into it in some weird language that I couldn't understand. The "words" created this almost excruciating tickling sensation in my whole body. But I didn't give in....I forcibly pulled her head back and away from my ear and kept gazing right into her eyes. Eventually, after a seemingly interminable amount of time, something snapped and she just disappeared like smoke...and I was able to get up and walk through my bedroom door into a wonderfully liberating, clear LD. One of the most joyfully memorable dreams of my dreaming "career" smile

It felt like a profound victory, in some regards....although, looking at many other dreamers' similar experiences and solutions here in LD4all, I think there's more elegant ways of addressing this kind of situation, to be sure. For me, the key was not reacting too strongly out of fear....to remain impassive, in some way. Once I was able to do that, the solution just kind of came to me in an instant...this time being to embrace her and stare into her eyes. There have been many other situations where another solution came in the blink of an eye...but the doorway to the solution was always the same. To not react out of fear.

IDK, just some personal experiences I can share smile I know other dreamers here have come up with very creative solutions to this problem

Current LD goal(s): Stay on the leading abstract edge
Praxis99
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Thanks for your reply. It makes me wonder what subconsciously is the root of and what is really going on in such encounters when in theory anyway you are best placed to deal with them.

I await my next lucid dream and will try to carry forth a more expressed intention to deal with the same. I have reserve forces experience (from been in the Territorial Army in the UK in the late 80's and 90's ) and the 'getting in your face aspect' is reminiscent of a drill sergeant having a go at you while on parade who deliberately and purposely knows they are making you feel uncomfortable by so doing.

glypheye
Truant Traveler
Astral Explorer

Praxis99 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. It makes me wonder what subconsciously is the root of and what is really going on in such encounters when in theory anyway you are best placed to deal with them.

I await my next lucid dream and will try to carry forth a more expressed intention to deal with the same. I have reserve forces experience (from been in the Territorial Army in the UK in the late 80's and 90's ) and the 'getting in your face aspect' is reminiscent of a drill sergeant having a go at you while on parade who deliberately and purposely knows they are making you feel uncomfortable by so doing.

Yeah, it makes me wonder too :D All I can say is that the subconscious is a pretty complex place.

Good analogy with the drill instructor. I don't have any military experience, but I can imagine that reacting emotionally to a drill instructor who is "having a go at me" would probably not give a good result LOL.

500Channels
LD count: <10

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2016  Reply with quote

I had this problem once, and I found the direct approach best, just like glypheye.

At the time, hugging didn't occur to me (although that sounds really cool). I just pointed at the guy, and then shouted at him to go away (insert your expletive-loaded command of choice), with my most authoritative and determined voice. Then I gave him my hardest stare, and willed him to leave.

He booked it, and the problem hasn't come up since. Hopefully this will work for you too smile

As regards to why these kinds of things crop up, I don't know beyond "something something subconscious". Maybe something to do with your subconscious not wanting you poking around in, uh, itself? I really have no idea - that way lies madness!

Current LD goal(s): Explore chaining further
glypheye
Truant Traveler
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2016  Reply with quote

"Maybe something to do with your subconscious not wanting you poking around in, uh, itself? I really have no idea - that way lies madness!"

kiekeboe eek2 :D

Praxis99
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2016  Reply with quote

You know the idea of my sub conscious telling me to bugger off via annoyingly clingy dream characters is after a fashion anyway quite appealing and casts a somewhat transforming light on a state of affairs that I've otherwise viewed as a constraining. When next faced with the same which are perhaps just a close protection squad of my psyche I'll ask what there trying to shield me from. Hope I can cope with the answer should it come!

Page 1 of 1

print   ShareShare