Different styles of flying

My biggest problem is losing touch with the sensation of the ground and waking up. (I might try conjuring a hover board or something tonight.)

Transcender, I have just experienced this for the first time.

My solution was to sing while flying. The singing worked as a focus for my concentration inside the dream.

I have recently rediscovered a flying technique from my childhood. Sometimes, while doing dream tai chi or dancing (try it, it feels awesome!) I can concentrate and let my body float in the position it is put in. Now that gravity isn’t a problem anymore, I can keep spinning or dancing upwards. :cool:

Recently I used a new extravagant flying method
[com]NOTE This is very weird and kind of gross. In the morning I was laughing loud at myself[/com]

That said, quote from my DJ:

I’m a natural flier, though I’m not sure if my flying style fit any mentioned here. Probably airbending? But it doesn’t feel like air, or even dependent on air. It does feel like I’m floating throuh an etheric medium that is too imperceptible to be swimming.

Hey guys, It’s been 4 years since I was last here but I have to share my new method which I tried just once yesterday and it instantly became one of my favorite ones.

The method is simply a wingsuit. The upper part, i.e the wings are enough. Then simply make a high jump, start flying and steer with your body. It’s very fast, extremely fun, and I felt in total control unlike with other methods. Of course you can cheat the laws of physics and also go up. Now that I think about it it’s probably not good in city environments, but I live in a countryside so it was very fun to fly around here.

I had two methods of flying.

1. The first was kind of like standing in a pool just deep enough to touch the ground. The physics worked just like that to get started; You just kind of lift your legs to sit or bend and your torso stays where it is in the air. From there, you drift on air currents. This flows into method two;

2. Leaning back into an air current coming from behind you, it supports you and carries you along. You’re more or less at it’s whim, but you can drift back to the ground by leaning less into the wind and giving the breeze less surface area.

There were other methods, of course (mostly involving sky mermaids because awesome), but these were the most unique of the bunch, I think.

I wouldn’t say I’m a flying master, but… I usually just put my arms at my side or whatever I feel like, and just fly? I guess it may work because it’s my normal flight method, so I just imagine it? :eh: I’ve flown in most of my lucid dreams, but if anyone needs help, I’d say somewhere to start might be just jumping in the air and hovering, then trying to move around.
Maybe I’m just a natural, but flying is easy for me, but not in a way I can explain. :content: Sometimes I get “chained” where I can’t fly that well. I thought of an idea where you get a running start, spread your arms out, and fly like an airplane. Might work, but never tried it. I’ll use my next LD to figure out some flying techniques, if not completing my goals. :tongue:

:yes:
Or even better, jump off of a ledge or object. I’ve used a chair before, but the higher the ledge, the better.

Lately, my style has been very simple. I just move in the direction I want, like a no-clipping hack in a video game (or Minecraft creative mode). Sometimes I have trouble actually detaching myself from the ground, which is where a jump off of something comes into play. In my most recent LD, I stepped up a couple stairs and jumped off that - just enough to get airborne.
If I want to fly faster, though, I will usually lay flat, more ‘superhero style’.

When all else fails, I use a sort of telekinesis to grab something far away (like a tree top) and pull myself forward in something more akin to launching and falling than actual flying. Telekinesis almost never fails in my dreams :shrug: so the telekinetic slingshot comes in handy.

I usually try to fly super man style. It seem’s fastest and easiest. But…its also kinda hard to pull off too.

I one time tried to fly with pink angel wings on my back.

That was rather interesting. I’m not sure if I was really lucid, though. Also, I remember not feeling the wings like at all XD It felt kind of like regular/‘super man’ style flying to me, pretty much.

Personally, most of the time I either ‘float’ along air currents staring at the stars, or I fly facing forward:
A bit like this, minus the bubble:

It is hard to explain the action of flying… you just DO it.
I often propel myself through a window using the ledge, feeling a beautiful liquid feeling as I soar through…
However the most bizarre method I have ever used is flying in an armchair… until it broke down and I used a flimsy plastic chair lol.

Bizarrely I found for a long time that I could only ‘fly’ when ‘seated’ as if flying an invisible helicopter. I’ve since become of aware of the Freudian nature of such dreams which from reading fit with my experience! That said I have also had superman style flying experiences though more often than not these day’s instead of flying like a ‘bird’ I will ‘say’ to the ‘dream’, take me too that hill top or building and I’ll find myself conveyed to and deposited on the same!

I always use swimming to take off, and then most of the times I switch to spreading my arms to glide around. I hadn’t thought about a lot of these methods for flying, I’ll have to try them next time!

Tonight I flew after I asked my driver to fire me in the air with an ejector seat :lol: And finally reached the 50 lucid dreams

I most often fly in a dream method of swimming. I make movements and legs with my hands - I’m swimming in the air.

If I want to fly in a LD i allways jump through a window in a skyscraper :happy: No joke! I love the feeling when the glass breaks and you are in the air. If I fly its like having a wingsuit or sth. like that haha

I discovered a unique way to make flying easy for myself ðŸ˜

Beforehand, in almost all of my lucid dreams so far, flying has been the first thing to try to just settle into the lucidity of the dream. But I always struggled, because I was stubborn and insisted on using the “do nothing” technique; unfortunately, my mind would always let the idea of gravity sneak back in and I would be falling after only raising myself a few feet in the air.

The last time I LD’ed, again gravity was keeping me down. Im not sure what gave me the idea but this time, I half closed my eyes, so that I could partially see what I was dreaming but also had much more focus on my mind. From there, I simply imagined myself to be very light. I was immediately up and flying, which surprised me so that I opened my eyes wide, at which point I kind of got “stuck” where I was floating, so I narrowed my sight again, felt myself as light as a feather and weeeee, away I went! Full control, zero resistance. What a blast!

I am new to lucid dreams but flying has been so easy and natural so far. Has anyone flown really fast or far (like Superman)?

Awesome!
As much as I hate to say it…
The easiest way to fly for me is to flap my arms and do a superman launch.
When I am totally lucid, I generally use pure willpower with no mechanical motions to fly.

Or do anything else for that matter.
The problem I have noticed is that pure willpower requires intense effort. It’s as if the fabric of the dream is resisting you.
Over the years I have got better at it. But it is still effort.

The easiest is to run and jump off of something high and then soar and fly.
It still takes a bit off willpower used as a thrust to keep it going.

Fun to talk with folks that know what I am talking about.

Welcome bacuss! The forum truly is a great place to share ideas and find inspiration for lucid dreaming. Enjoy!

I totally agree, its amazing how difficult it can be just to convince the dream (aka, your mind) that you can fly. But I think its a great practice though! It will help you in general in dream control and understanding.

Happy dreaming!

For a long time the only way I found I could fly in dreams was by imagining I was sitting in an invisible helicopter! I’d ‘sit’ and make to operate an invisible collective lever in order to fly and up I would go!

All other attempts would fail or or I’d find myself barely able to get off the ground. Its now no longer the case as it is with some other aspects of my lucid dreaming experience which have changed over the years.

Interestingly in Freud’s ‘The Interpretation of Dreams’ he has some specific points to make about dreams that involve hovering which was a frequent feature of the the same once I was airborne!

Nowadays I find myself able to fly in a variety of ways but still often struggle to get high above the ground. I’ll gain altitude but not be able to maintain it. However occasionally I’ll had dreams were I fly through clouds (even feeling the water vapour on my face) and then above the same.

Personally speaking now when lucid I often find the best way of flying somewhere is to ‘say’ to the dream ‘take me to the top of that hill’ or whatever and ‘magically’ I’ll find myself lifted and transported to the same!