Cult TV shows

I JUST found this topic, and I just had to comment this reply! MacGyver :love:, I’ve seen every episode like 5 times too! Oh, I was so obsessed with the show. I still get half-obsessed every time I see it on. If I watch one episode, I have to see another 20 after it!

And then came Stargate :grin: but then they stopped airing it here in Sweden… :sad:

Long time since I posted in here. I have some newer shows I enjoy now.

Being Human [uk]
Vampire, ghost and werewolf sharing a house. It even managed to change the 3 main characters over time and keep good.

Once Upon a Time. The characters from fairy tales transported to Storybrook. Lots of flashback stories. Heroes, Villians and those between the two poles.

Grimm. Wessen - werewolves etc in Portland.

Izombie. ME who is a zombie. Solves cases by eating the victim’s brain… :tongue:

I’ve seen a few seasons of Once Upon a Time. It has some good parts.

I would like to add the new tv-show Legion to the list. Only 8 episode season 1, but cinematography, special effects and all is great. It tells a story of a man with schizophrenia trying to figure out what, and who, is real in his life. The twist is, he’s an omega level mutant in the Marvel universe. Each personality has a power. The show conveys well the main character’s struggle and is very dreamlike.

Legion sounds good Letaali. I’ll have to look out for it.

Oh,anyone seen Trollhunters? It’s an animated series. Quite good story arc.

My favorite TV show would have to be the X Files. I haven’t watched it in a while, it might be time for some binge watching. :smile:

I also love Supernatural. I think it should have ended with Season 5, and I hate Seasons 6 and 7, but it picks up after that. I dislike the way they portrayed God/angels/demons, but the relationship between Sam and Dean (and Cass, and Crowley) keeps things entertaining.

I loved the first season of The Flash, but the second and third seasons feel too formulaic and overly dramatic, not to mention all the forced conflicts and telenovela romance. Frankly, I keep watching it only for the characters of Harrison Wells and Cisco.

To a lesser degree, I liked Legends of Tomorrow, but after the first season, their scripts got so full of plot holes, inconsistencies, and plain stupidities, that I just couldn’t continue watching it.

I love, love, LOVE! The Magicians. The show is so over the top (which I know a lot of people don’t like), but it’s just too funny and deliciously shocking.

I also love Lucifer. I know it got a bit cheesy, but I’m too fond of the main characters to let it go. :smile:

I liked the first season of The 100, but it lost my interest after that.

The first season of Penny Dreadful was excellent, but, again, Season 2 was a bit of a letdown, and I haven’t finished Season 3.

I watched a few episodes of Jessica Jones, and I love the overall style of the show and the main actress – will continue to watch this one.

Heroes was a very good TV show in Season 1, and I guess it should have ended there. I don’t dislike the rest of the show like a lot of people do, but I can understand why they do.

The first season of Mr. Robot was also very good in my opinion, but I dropped it mid-season 2.

I watched only the first episodes of Preacher, Legion and Daredevil and I didn’t really like them that much (I’d watch more Legion; Daredevil was absolutely beautiful but so boring; I don’t really remember Preacher except for some gore).

I love Supernatural and agree it should have ended with season 5. I also watch the Flash and the first season was great, been downhill after that. I have to check out The Magicians. I watched Jessica Jones and liked it. I love all of Heroes, even if the later seasons have some flaws. I’ve rewatched all the seasons of Heroes at least three times.

I’m disappointed with the current series of Dr Who (2017 Series 10 / Season 36 / Capaldi)
Trouble with having multiple writers, ie different writer for episodes, is that every episode is only as good as the writer/idea behind the episode. I also feel they haven’t utilised Peter Capaldi’s acting ability and thus he has ended up with a 2 dimensional character.

The best episode was Smile by Frank Cottrell-Boyce. But although good it felt like a reimagining of something I had seen before.

So crossing my fingers for the next series - new regeneration ( :sad: ) and new hand at the wheel - Moffat is leaving the show.

I watch very much series ehehe, here some of the best with explaination:

Teen wolf, a series about teenager becoming werewolves, en also fox-shifters, some kind of witches etc. I really liked a part in season 3 where one of the main characters,
Stiles, gets confused and tries to see if everything is a dream by using RC’s.

The Vampire Diaries, you maybe think like; thats such a basic series, and the love stories are boring etc. But i really like the different creature in them like werewolves, vampires, witches, heretics, sirens etc.

Reign, its about the history of Scotland and France, about kings and plots. It has many interesting storylines and i dont really liked this genre at first but its quite interesting.

The Originals, spin of from The vampire diaries, takes place in new orleans and is most of the time about the Mikaelsons, the first ever original vampires. Also there are many witches and coffins, making it interesting. Altough i dont really like season 4 as much as the previous ones.

I also like Once Upon a Time (someone already said something about that hehe) And ive watched some parts of the 100 and Grimm, witch i like to continue after i finish other series. I also want to start watching Dr. Who and Lost, but thats to much for all at once. As you see im into the supernatural genre hehe :tongue:

^Nice!

Currently watching The Originals, Teen Wolf(season 3), Attack on Titan and finishing Tokyo Ghoul. Dragon Ball Super and Boruto, I stay up to date via youtube reviews and watch the episodes that pique my interest to avoid fillers or mundane episodes.

Finished Vampire Diaries, I was very skeptical of it at first glance but it turned out to be really good. Over time I became more fond of The Originals because it had a more mature and intense tone overall.

Supernatural, I liked the series so much I got the book which takes place between the seasons 5 finale and season 6 premiere. I binge watched it up to season 10 then fell off sometime during the middle of season and just had it on in the background while gaming or doing homework (couldn’t have grown out of it). Definitely picking this series back up again.

Archer Hahaha because why not? I binge watched the show until I realized that it would be a while before the next season hit Netflix, so I decided to hold out. May as well continue this since they removed Danger 5 for some odd reason.

Danger 5 Hahaha words can’t express how strange and original this show is. Its dated effects, indie-ensue vibe, and subtle humor. So you have 5 agents, who take orders from a bald eagle, trying to stop Hitler -who tends to escape in the same generic fashion- from achieving world domination…Yeah you would have to see it for yourself…If only Netflix didn’t remove it . :neutral:

Hunter x Hunter When I first tried it I couldn’t get through the first episode. Gave it a second try years later and found one of my all time favorite anime despite the frequent hiatuses. If I recall correctly the manga will return from hiatus this summer.

Game of Thrones Think I left off around season 3. It hasn’t captured my attention like the shows mentioned above or Spartacus, but it is entertaining to see Tyrion exercise his quick wit to compensate for his combat ability.

The Flash I found pretty amusing, but ran into some spoilers and fell off at the end of season 1…I’ll get back around to it someday.

I started watching Stranger Things. What a lovely show!

Btw, Koharo, you won’t miss much if you don’t return to The Flash at all. The second season is okay I suppose, but the rest… I am now very much annoyed with that show. :grrr:

It’s great! ^-^

And if we are including anime here, like Koharo did, I’ll also add Hunter x Hunter on the list. It’s great.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is another great one. It has mechas and crazy huge fights. The last five or so episodes were pure gold in my eyes. Not for everyone though.

Space Dandy is another great one, if you like crazy space adventures. Some episodes are really artistic. Visually amazing and fun. First couple of episodes don’t tell the whole story. I also liked the english dub more that the original voices for this series.

My brother watched that, may have to check it out I keep hearing good things about it. Aw that sucks to hear regarding The Flash though, thought it would keep getting better with the other flashes and travelling to parallel dimensions.

Tried Gurren Lagann, but fell off. I’ll at least watch the last 5 eps.

Aw Space Dandy was pretty funny, especially the other dimensional Dandies. Michael Jackson Dandy was priceless.

More recently started watching Ink Master again. Its a reality show where tattoo artists from across the country compete for the title of Ink Master and a cash prize through various challenges. Its cool to see how they execute some of these ideas. Its also funny how petty some of the competitors can be and how brazen the judges can be sometimes.

Also forgot to put The Walking Dead. Despite the very slow pace of the latest season I managed to enjoy it…Well the plot twists, Eugene, Negan of course, King Ezekiel & Shiva (Ezekiel’s Tiger), and the finale. Heh cant wait for the next season.

Currently considering Fear of The Walking Dead and Shadow Hunters

The Magicians is easily my current favorite show. I’m not really sure how to define it, but that must be because I haven’t had so much fun watching something in a long, long time. The show’s just so alluring. It really dwells on the outskirts of the shock cinema circle, but offers just enough gore and sadism to make it watchable. It has it’s flaws, but that doesn’t stop me from watching it. I like sarcasm in characters and I like when the magic is refereed to as something highly destructive, yet altogether maintainable.
The Gnosticism is strong here. Really strong.
Who knew that High Fantasy can be so gritty at the same time? Feels like a real European fairytale… It’s die Brüder Grimm in modern times…
I’m reluctant to watch it before all episodes air because I consume them so fast…

Magic is Real

Scenery is what keeps making this show so fantastic. Great shots and camera work. Almost reminds me of the film Phantom Thread. Yes, watch that movie. :cool: Thank me later. :cool:

Hahaha the timing, just got around to it about to finish season 2. Not sure how to describe the show. Edgy Hogwarts? Definitely a new favorite. Alice, Elliot, Kady, and Penny are pretty awesome (and Jules without her shade). Margot has been growing on me and Q has been a bit annoying at times, but regardless I’m eager to see the development he will undergo throughout the series. Not gonna lie could relate to Q in the very beginning (first 1-2 eps which got me hooked).

Yeah pretty alluring.

EDIT:
On season 3 now, starting to notice a little character development with Q. His character is starting to grow on me.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was a revelation to me!

I started watching iZombie finally, thanks to moogle mentioning it here a long time ago. Only watched like 5 episodes so far, but I like it a lot.

wait, there is a character named Q in there? I need to watch this! haven’t seen it on Netflix here yet though :sad:

Actually, the name is Quentin, however his friends call him Q(u). Fitting of your pseudonym. :tongue:

On a side note, I can’t believe I have to wait up until January to get new episodes. It’s highly disturbing.

The Good Place.

Can’t say much due to spoilers! But recommend it to everyone. It’s great … even contains some philosophy.

Season 3 will be available soon, but don’t watch it out of order. :content:

Due to Lost becoming available on Disney+ Star, I finally got to watch all 6 seasons over a couple of weeks.
In the past, I had only watched the first 3 seasons when I discontinued subscribing to Sky for a number of years.
It was so easy to follow the plots due to watching over a short period of time.