Natural Lucid Dreamers >.<

I have a hard time lucid dreaming, but I want to experience the world of the subconscious mind. If your a natural lucid dreamer what are your tips to dreaming and lucidity. If you’re not a natural, but have learned to have a volume of dreams, even better. What advice could you give me to step into this world?

I’m awake of dream journaling, reality checks, WILD, DILD etc. Maybe I’m just too lazy to implement them? Maybe I need to put in “more work”? Maybe I already know all the answers to my questions? But hey, my first lucid dream happened after I had “stopped trying” to lucid dream and didn’t have the forefront of my mind on lucid dreaming. It has me thinking about the practicality of “trying” to lucid dream in the waking state. I don’t want to be passive about it, but maybe trying too hard can be counter productive in the long run? At the same time, not trying can be frustrating because of my eagerness to want to talk to dream characters and experiment different scenarios in a state of lucidity.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Hello JailTime,

I am sorry that your questions are still unanswered.

I just think I should point that your topic title should have a direct question to encourage others to answer.

Also, I don’t think you really need to ask natural dreamers, some natural dreamers may just be “lucky” to have lucid dreams without knowing how to teach that.

Trying to answer a bit more about your questions:

• You might need to provide information on your recall to get better answers.
  • Techniques vary, but if you are suspecting you are too lazy, maybe you do need to put more effort.
  • Do not think too hard when you fail. Take breaks when you need them.
  • Do not expect to succeed at everything once you get a lucid dream, keep it calm and steady.

Best wishes!

Hey Tggtt,

Thanks for your feedback! I think you’re right about everything you’ve said. I wasn’t really specific with what I wanted in my post. I think I’m confused with my expectations and my reality when it comes to lucid dreaming. I’ll take what you’ve said into consideration. I think it would be a good idea to come back again after having some kind of progress with lucid dreaming so that I can ask some more specific questions about things I’m going through and experiencing. I’m sure everything that I will experience in the future has already been documented in some sense, but it’s nice to be involved in a community to talk about it. There’s this feeling in me of not even bothering to post, because all the information is already out there on the web for anyone to see, for anyone to learn from.

I wish that I’ll be back here to report my progress. Hopefully I’ll have some success.

Hey JailTime!

I am a new lucid dreaming practitioner as well! Maybe I can help you a little bit.

Firstly, I became interested in studying lucid dreaming over a year ago, at which time I took a masterclass and also purchased an expensive online program to study it. Despite all that, I only put in a minimum amount of effort to “train” myself for lucid dreaming. I tried doing RCs every time I walked through a door or heard a cell phone go off (etc) yet I found I would go through hundreds of these moments and not even once remember to do a RC. In the end, I drifted away from the RC training (and all other methods really, besides my usual meditation). And while I was still fascinated by the idea of lucid dreaming and thought about it frequently, I never once had a lucid dream.

It would be that way for about a year (about 1.5 months ago from today) before I finally got back into it. And by accident really. I was in search of a book on dream interpretations, when I came across a fantastic Lucid Dreaming book (HIGHLY recommend it, it first and foremost Inspires you! Its called the Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming by Dylan Tucillo and others. My favourite resource by far, hands down)

Anyway, this book got me back into lucid dreaming, and I eagerly went into it full force. The sincere dedication to the art of lucid dreaming that I now had made it possible to do and remember to do RCs at the right times, and successfully practice other techniques as well. I had my first lucid dream only a week after starting, and it was so wonderful. I had a couple more little ones shortly after, and then fell off the wagon.

This is where I think you might be at the moment. During this time I continued to do alllll the practices I had incorporated (and there were quite a few) and yet I wasn’t having ANY LDs. In fact, even my NDs started to fade, and I couldn’t recall them in the morning. I slowly came to the realization that I was trying too hard. It was becoming too strained. While you said you haven’t really been practicing any of the techniques, I’d ask you to really question the underlying emotions that are linked to your desire to lucid dream. Are you feeling a twinge of frustration? Or worry, or doubt? It seems to be such a delicate balance. They say to firmly believe and reaffirm that you WILL have a lucid dream tonight, and yet I was convincing myself so much that when I would wake up the next day I’d be so frustrated because I didn’t end up lucid dreaming. It allll has to be positive.

The way I got back on the band wagon was to get off it first, oddly enough. I gave myself a break for a few nights and told myself it didn’t matter if I had ANY recalled dreams that night, let alone lucid ones. I stopped trying. On the second night of that, sure enough I had another incredible lucid dream. When I wasn’t even trying.

All that being said, I think it’s still verrrry important to practice. Daytime LD techniques are important because they are training your brain. It’s not really so much about putting lucid dreaming in your conscious mind all day so much as how you’re putting it there, because this will build up the subconscious, which is what is active when you’re dreaming. You have to teach your subconscious to recognize a dream, and just thinking about how cool lucid dreaming is probably won’t do it. RCs are creating a habit in your subconscious that it will automatically do in a dream, and therefore awake you to the dream. Meditation is teaching your subconscious how to be aware of your surroundings so that you can notice in your dreams when weird things are happening. It also teaches the subconscious how to focus, so that when you do have a lucid dream you can focus on it and not lose it right away. And DJing is teaching your subconscious to bring dreams closer to your waking consciousness, so that your waking consciousness can be present in dreams (lucidity!).

I think I probably talked enough now haha. Like I said before, I am only a few months into serious LD studying, so readers are free to correct me if I’ve said anything incorrect (hopefully, and I’m pretty sure, it’s all right though!)

Happy dreaming!

Hi Jailtime,
i know your struggle. I think you want the lucid dream too much. Youre trying too hard. Things like the sleeping paralysis appear if you dont concentrate on it. If your allways concentrating on your senses: “what so I hear/feel/see?” You are unlikely to fall in a lucid dream :smile:

Just start keeping a journal.

I’m a “natural” in that I had lucid dreams sporadically since I was a kid. But after keeping a journal for a few years, the number of lucid dreams I have drastically increased. And it’s a skill I get to keep. I keep having an increased rate of lucidity even during years that I don’t journal. Journaling is the least effort you can put into lucid dreaming and expect to be successful, imo.

When you journal, you use your conscious mind to relive what it was like to be in a dream; how it felt. It will teach you what a dream feels like and later inform you when you are dreaming.

TBH I do not know really.

I have complex worlds with complex characters and complex realities with different sets of rules applying to them. And I occasionally return to those places continuing right where I left of, without even thinking. During the dream, I remember it completely clear. After I wake up, I remember only a tiny fragment which portrays that “alternate universe” I just experienced. It’s just people with similar energies in completely different bodies acting slightly happier than they are now with a knack for joy in general.

A common reoccurring theme is building up extra rooms in my house, like magical portals. Each extra room leads to another part of the city which furthermore may lead to more roads down the line and to different areas with different memories and situations. They are like a fine thread of memories which I may access at-will and do crazy things without ever destroying that said part of the memory of once established dream sequence. It’s like when you take an old photo film and spread it out into 50+ places and memories leading to magnificent travels.

The travels are usually very nice, too, often representing the tram travels going around the city, leading to mysterious places around the city. Very tall, nice buildings with tall mountains behind and green grass.

But as my dreams are nice and good looking, so are my nightmares absolutely horrifying. I get attacked in colorless worlds by demons with such red glowing eyes, choking my neck, lifting me up with easy, having super-speed, breaking everything apart to find me in a dusty, old, colorless room even though there’s sunlight outside. Once I got attacked by a witch. She was pretty and nice at the beginning, and then used her nails to break through my chest and started “massaging” my heart with super-sharp nails for a long, long time laughing to my face and enjoying my suffering. Beneath me suddenly there was a huge abyss and on the side there were again those mountains and green grass. And two midgets started betting on whether I’ll live or die, completely devoid of any concern for what’s going on with me.

Later I find out online that it’s called “old hag syndrome”. Luckily I only had occurred it once and I hope never again. :shy: :woo:

In my dreams I always feel and see colors, I can sense, hear, smell, eat etc. No problems there at all. Turns out that colorless dreams are quite common with people. Didn’t know that up until recently. :shy:

So, yeah, not a natural lucid-dreamer (I was when I was younger, constant lucid dreams, probably has to do with my imagination and greater fear of the unknown), but I have extremely developed worlds and universes with their own set of rules to which I may return anytime I want. I think that counts as, at least, a part-time lucidity, no? :shy:

Hey Jailtime,
I’m new here and I’m a natural lucid dreamer. Before I knew I was lucid dreaming I never had to do the part before sleep. I would notice things that were not normal, I think those are called dreamsigns. For me it works every time, I know it probably doesn’t for most people I just wanted to let you know.