LD4all hosting fundraiser: $601.17 raised, WE MADE IT!!!

the numbers i gave is the minimum ld4all will have. It is now on a shared server so it can also be 0 :neutral:

FYI here are the specs of the new server, which we are approaching rapidly :happy:

Guaranteed RAM 128MB
Max RAM 4GB
Guaranteed CPU 128Mhz
Max CPU 2457.6Mhz

I’ve donated some money a few days ago… and it’s still not arrived? Banks act too damn slow whenever they don’t earn any money from the transaction :neutral:

Guaranteed CPU 128Mhz ?

Mmm it gotta be 1.28 ghz? Because… no offenses… 128 mhz won’t be able to handle all traffic and jobs here.

I am sure there are a better deal that equals $400 as well out there with faster server… so is it a typo?

Excuse me for being confused. :confused: Maybe you could show me a link so I could check it out please?

Btw, look like our goal is going to be reached! :happy: That’s very nice!

hum… Dm7… no offenses but u dont know so mutch about computers??

a 128 mhz linux server can handle areally mutch trafick. and a phpbb forum ur a realy well programd forum… so it is really unnecessary to drive a phpbb furom on a 1.28 ghz… :wink:

we have made it!!

thank you so much everybody for your support! :bounce: :bounce:

i’m so happy :happy: :happy: :happy:

Just poping in to see what is going on. Congrats PasQuale.

“128 mhz linux server”
128 megaherts, I tihnk it can handle the dealing out of webpages. I think it means 128 mhz allocated to that person.

However, 128mhz isn’t very good if you want to do such things as use a computer. If it’s just surving pages then it’s more than capible.

However, are you sure this is the best deal. I beleive there a some better deals than this one.

Whatever you do, good luck!!

Awesome that u have what u need Q! :happy: Im sure it will go to a GoOd use! :happy:

techno, if you find a better deal, i’m open for suggestions :smile:
It will take a few weeks until i will do the move, so in the meantime i will check out other deals as well… if i can find it better and faster, i’ll go for that :content:

dang with that price for 128 mhz can’t you just set up an ordinary computer (50 bucks for a pentium 2 or something) that’s like 400 mhz and add a little ram to it?

and host it where? I do agree though, for $400 we should be able to find a better deal. I’ll look around and pm you if I find somehting, Q

This site has loads of server hosting I think: ispcheck.com/
This site contaisn whats’ sussposed to be the best deals: webmaster-affiliates.net/web … _deals.php

Here are what looks like some deals:
lunarpages.com/solutions.htm
jumpline.com/vds_hosting_1000.php
globat.com/packages/index.ph … getPackage
If you search around there are other/configurable deals on those webpages.

lunarpages.com/plan1.htm …That looks pretty fine, right there. :slight_smile: Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz processors and 4GB memory, with 40 Gigs of bandwidth.

[quote] a 128 mhz linux server can handle areally mutch trafick. and a phpbb forum ur a realy well programd forum.. so it is really unnecessary to drive a phpbb furom on a 1.28 ghz.. wink5 [/quote]

Hmmm…If 1.28 ghz is too much for this forum then I would imagine 2.8 is WAY too much. Yeah, I definitely feel a little stupid-er-er now. :confused:

I guess I wouldn’t really know because 1) I don’t know a whole lot about servers and 2) Q knows the site’s needs and I don’t.

But I do like big numbers. :eek: Does that help?

I use a few different places… www.1and1.com is the cheapest I’ve found so far

I’ll be donating within a few days, I know I’m not a big member or have alot of posts (have around 10k on other forums) but I like the information on here… dreams are free… the helpfulness of forums is free, but serverspace isn’t… so I’ll chip in a few bucks to help keep this site up and running…

unix is entirely different from windows… the only simularity you have, if you want to call it that, is DOS and unix. and those 2 are completly different. 75-80% of the internet is on unix based servers. sure, the higher hz processor you use the faster it goes, but when speaking of just transferring little 1’s and 0’s to show up as a simple forum, it really doesn’t matter. I don’t think many people are going to be playing HALO off of a webserver anytime soon…

thanks everybody :smile:

but you forget… those are shared hosting plans… that means every account runs on that Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz processors and 4GB memory. There can be hundreds of sites on the same computer…

the new server plan, will be a Virtual Private Server, that means that it runs on the same kind of computer, but configured differently, so every site has their guaranteed amount of processing power.

the bandwidth and diskspace are fine… but the thing that will speed up everything is the processing power and memory that will be guaranteed reserved for ld4all.

now on the shared server, all sites share the same resources. If it is busy, the resources are very thinly spread.

but on the VPS, if it is busy, no matter what, ld4all will still have the allocated memory and processing power.

this means it can be way faster, but it won’t be slower then that limit.

i hope i have explained things a little better now.

FYI: the one i have found is here: hostforweb.com/vps.html

having said that, before i will spend our gathered money i will delve into the hosting scene again, and compare everything.

so if you have a tip, please NO SHARED hosting. Only VPS or better.

btw thanks mac2118! :smile:

It may be a tad overdue, but I’m pleased to say that I’ve finally got around to making a donation. With any luck we’ll be able to find a great deal on a new server - just as soon as pasQuale gets back from holiday.

Better late than never, right? :smile:

thanks atheist :thumbs:

:sad: Argh I feel terrible! I was away during all this! :’(

If I was here I would have been the first to donate! LD4all isn’t only the reason I can LD… it’s the reason I know what an LD is! :happy:

I know the target’s been reached but I take you’ll still take donations pasQuale! Even if it goes to your pocket now, you deserve it! This isn’t just my fave site (good topic and stuff) but it is overall an amazing site! It’s really well designed and very user friendly! Takes a lot of commitment! Spose this is a “WELL DONE!” post really, it’s great you’ve been doing it so long! Expect a donation by next week!

Peace.

128mhz naz. that’s 0.128ghz :tongue:

how about this Q dedicated.westhost.com/ all cheaper than $400 dunno how they are compaired to the one you were looking at though.

thanks pedro! :happy:

DM euhhh those prices are per month, not per year…