The BIG MILD topic - part III
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

#1: The BIG MILD topic - part III Author: Fwump38 PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006
    ----
<mod>
This topic has been selected to be the big MILD topic.
Please post all your questions and comments about MILD in this thread.

Here are the previous parts of the topic:
Part I <- this is in the archive
Part II
</mod>

Well after trying a long time with no success in WILD, I am going to give MILD a try.

I have a few questions though. I'm getting the steps for this from the homepage, so,

1) It says it's best for when you wake up from a dream. Seeing as that doesn't happen to me much, is it alright if I just set my alarm for about 6 hours?

2) I plan on waking up and recalling any dreams and writing them down in detail. Then I am going to find a book and read it for a little bit. If I dont have a book about lucid dreaming, will any book do?

That's it! I hope this works and wish me luck! Thanks in advance if you can answer those questions!

#2:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Sat 24 Jun, 2006
    ----
1) Yes, it's what is generally done.
2) I think any book can do. It's said to read something about LD'ing because it focuses better your intent on it.

Good luck! smile

#3:  Author: Tsondru PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun, 2006
    ----
Xetrov wrote:
renko wrote:
Ok so the difference between autosuggestion and MILD is that you visualize yourself doin the thing you are saying in MILD? or something like that? Is MILD more effective than autosuggestion?

Autosuggestion is a part of MILD. Personally, I find that MILD works better then autosuggestion alone, and I think this is why Laberge "invented" MILD in the first place. It kind of increases the effectivity of the autosuggestion if you also visualise a scene in which you perform the action you are suggesting to yourself (in this case, become lucid during a dream). So to conclude, MILD = autosugestion + visualising.

If you use visualisation you're 50% more likely to remember to recognise you're dreaming according to this article.

The group in the experiment who used visualisation remembered to do what they were supposed to 76% of the time, compared to the group just using autosuggestion who only remembered 46% of the time.

Does anyone actively try to improve their prospective memory? If you do, what do you do other than what LaBerge suggests in EWLD? Although I guess there isn't much you can do besides practising remembering to do something.

#4:  Author: Tsondru PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006
    ----
Well, I wrote this out today to help me improve my prospective memory and hopefully MILD. It might be useful for someone...some of its taken from EWLD:

Use this website:

http://www.random.org/cgi-bin/randnum?num=4&min=1&max =100&col=4

To select four random targets for the day.

Your goal is to notice the next occurrence of each event, at which time you will perform an RC. You are aiming to notice the target once – the next time it happens.

If you realise during the day that you missed your first chance to notice one of your targets, then you have failed to hit that target, even though you may notice its occurrence later in the day.

1. The next time I see a pet or animal
2. The next time I look at my face in a mirror
3. The next time I turn on a light
4. The next time I see a flower
5. The next time I write anything down
6. The next time I feel pain
7. The next time I hear someone say my name
8. The next time I drink something
9. The next time I see a traffic light
10. The next time I hear music
11. The next time I throw something in the garbage
12. The next time I hear laughter
13. The next time I turn on a television or radio
14. The next time I see a vegetable
15. The next time I see a red car
16. The next time I handle money
17. The next time I read something other than this list
18. The next time I check the time
19. The next time I notice myself daydreaming
20. The next time I hear the telephone ringing
21. The next time I open a door
22. The next time I see a bird
23. The next time I use the toilet after noon
24. The next time I see the stars
25. The next time I put a key in a lock
26. The next time I see an advertisement
27. The next time I eat anything after breakfast
28. The next time I see a bicycle
29. The next time I read something in French
30. The next time I see a police car
31. The next time I juggle
32. The next time I get on a skateboard
33. The next time I see a wheelchair
34. The next time I see a plug socket
35. The next time I play poker
36. The next time I swear
37. The next time I see a shed
38. The next time I watch a film
39. The next time I use the car handbrake
40. The next time I see a snake
41. The next time I see a school/college/university
42. The next time I walk up or down stairs
43. The next time I see a gun
44. The next time I see fire from any source
45. The next time I play a computer game
46. The next time I see a disabled person
47. The next time I walk on grass
48. The next time I brush my teeth
49. The next time I fart
50. The next time I wash up
51. The next time I use my mobile
52. The next time I go for a run
53. The next time I have a shower
54. The next time I go into a shop
55. The next time I use the internet
56. The next time I put on some shoes
57. The next time I see an ambulance
58. The next time I cross the road
59. The next time I see a football
60. The next time I hear a siren
61. The next time I see my neighbour
62. The next time I open the fridge
63. The next time I open the freezer
64. The next time I see a traffic warden
65. The next time I see a pram
66. The next time I see a tennis racquet
67. The next time I laugh
68. The next time I smile
69. The next time I read a newspaper
70. The next time I download something
71. The next time I see a spider
72. The next time I open a cd drive
73. The next time I type something after lunch
74. The next time I use a calculator
75. The next time I look at a calendar
76. The next time I open a window
77. The next time I send a text message
78. The next time I receive a text message
79. The next time I close a window
80. The next time I close a door
81. The next time I drop something
82. The next time I pick something up
83. The next time I hear someone say Iraq
84. The next time I turn off a computer
85. The next time I turn on a computer
86. The next time I yawn
87. The next time I sneeze
88. The next time I cough
89. The next time I see a film trailer
90. The next time I hear Homer Simpson say doh!
91. The next time I throw something in the bin
92. The next time I use the washing machine
93. The next time I get dressed
94. The next time I get undressed
95. The next time I see a manhole
96. The next time I see a cigarette
97. The next time I watch the news
98. The next time I change the volume on the tv
99. The next time I change the channel on the tv
100. The next time I check my email

#5:  Author: grasswar PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006
    ----
Is developing propective memory that important? I have tried to do prospective memory pratice and am really bad at it, all misses. I've never really been successful with MILD, havnt tried it too much though. Is it really that effective of a technique and is developing prospective memory that important?

#6:  Author: Tsondru PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006
    ----
I think it's important for MILD as MILD works because you are remembering to do something in the future, recognise that you're dreaming in this case. Which is why it's called Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams:

Main Entry: 1mne·mon·ic
Pronunciation: ni-'män-ik
Function: adjective
1 : assisting or intended to assist memory; also : of or relating to mnemonics
2 : of or relating to memory —mne·mon·i·cal·ly /-i-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Main Entry: 2mnemonic
Function: noun
: a mnemonic device or code

The act of telling yourself to remember to recognise that you're dreaming and visualising it happening is the mnemonic device intended to assist the memory.

So yeah, I think prospective memory is quite important because if we can't remember to do something later in the day, we probably won't remember to do it in a dream!

I suck at prospective memory too

MILD is very effective for some people, and not for others, like anything really.

#7:  Author: grasswar PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006
    ----
I have another question about prospective memory taining. I often get hits, but i think im cheating. Lets say one of the tasks of the day was to do a RC when I see a street light. I will know a street light is comming up when I get in my car, see the stop light and do it. I think its cheating, even though i cant help it, because nothing is being triggered, I just know its comming up and do it when it comes, nothing being triggered.

#8:  Author: Tsondru PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006
    ----
Good point, I know what you mean. I think in your case the trigger was when you saw your car, which made you think of the street light. So it's still probably good practice.

It's more like cheating when you constantly remind yourself of the targets I think because you don't have that kind of continuity of awareness from sleep onset to dream and dream to dream. So if you 'forget' about the target and something else reminds you of it, it seems ok to me.

#9:  Author: StEvE21 PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul, 2006
    ----
I think I will try MILD tonight. I can't believe that after all this time, I have never seriously tried MILD before... neutral

Serbitar's post on prospective memory got me thinking. I think it will work really well. I mean, I KNOW it will work really well wink .

#10: Vivid dreams Author: asclepius PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul, 2006
    ----
MILD is still my favourite and most effective technique smile

One key for me is to use a VIVID dream. Previously I would use the most recent dream I had. But I've had better success using dreams that are visually very vivid.

So sometimes when I WBTB I may ignore that night's dreams and use a more vivid dream from earlier in the week.

#11: Learning MILD Author: grasswar PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006
    ----
<mod>Merged into the BIG MILD topic</mod>

I have been attempting to induce LDs with MILD for about a week now without success. I realize that it is not unusual, however I feel like i am not doing everything right.

When I do MILD, I do it with WBTB. When actually doing it, I repeatmy mantra, when I finish with it I try to visualize me realzing im in a dream.. My main question is how do you visualize the most effective way. I seem to understand everything else but dont feel im getting much out of my visualization. should I just run through my last dream or try to feel the exact same way as I did in my dream.?

#12:  Author: Nachician PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006
    ----
If you remember a previous dream, you should picture yourself in that dream, but what I do is to try to change the dream , realising that I'm dreaming...
It's useful, believe me

#13: Re: Learning MILD Author: asclepius PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006
    ----
grasswar wrote:
should I just run through my last dream or try to feel the exact same way as I did in my dream.?

Replay it, but note different things that could have made you lucid. Then imagine that one of those things made you lucid, and then imagine what you would do when you become lucid.

#14:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006
    ----
Quote:
I have been attempting to induce LDs with MILD for about a week now without success. I realize that it is not unusual.

You're right. Techniques which rely on autosuggestion need generally more than one week in order to work.
Quote:
should I just run through my last dream

Just remember the different episodes from your last dream, then when you reach a passage when you could have realized it was a dream, you picture yourself in that dream, as Nachician said, and you imagine that you suddenly realize you're dreaming and that you do the thing you planned to do.

#15:  Author: Tsondru PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006
    ----
grasswar wrote:
how do you visualize the most effective way.

Just think about it in your head, maybe if you lie to someone and you're not sure if they bought it or not, you replay it in your mind, like that. Or if you talk to a girl/boy you really like, afterwards you might wonder if you said the rights things and impressed them or not.

When you walked out of your front door this morning, imagine as clearly as you can walking towards the door. You reach for the door handle, what does it look like? How does it feel? How does it sound when you turn the handle? How does it feel when you open the door? What can you see when you walk outside? What can you hear? Can you feel the sun shining or the cold biting?

grasswar wrote:
should I just run through my last dream or try to feel the exact same way as I did in my dream.?

You should do both at the same time. Run through your last dream by experiencing it again; see, hear, smell, taste, feel what happened in the dream again.

Edit: Ah, I see I've just repeated what others have said shy2

LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 3
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com