The God Delusion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  :| |:
LD4all » Lucid Lounge

#1: The God Delusion Author: Bombax PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep, 2009
    ----
<mod>split from 'are there any Christian Lucid dreamers here' </mod>

Allow me to reverse; I think God created the universe and it's governing natural laws, then planted the Bible to test our faith of trusting scientific finds.

(No, I am just kidding, I am agnostic. I recommend that christians and non-christians alike should read The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins)

#2:  Author: Freecube PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep, 2009
    ----
Bombax wrote:
Allow me to reverse; I think God created the universe and it's governing natural laws, then planted the Bible to test our faith of trusting scientific finds.

(No, I am just kidding, I am agnostic. I recommend that christians and non-christians alike should read The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins)


"When you analyze all of the most current affirmative evidence from cosmology, physics, astronomy, biology, and so forth--well, I think you'll discover that the positive case for an intelligent designer becomes absolutely compelling." -- Johnathan Wells, Ph.D., Ph.D., who received a doctorate in molecular and cell biology from Berkeley, and a doctorate in religious studies from Yale.

"While there will always be points of tension or unresolved conflict, the major developments in science in the past five decades have been running strongly in a theistic direction.... You can invoke neither time nor space nor matter nor energy nor the laws of nature to explain the origin of the universe. General relativity points to the need for a cause that transcends those domains. And theism affirms the existence of such an entity--namely, God." -- Stephen C. Meyer, Ph.D., who received his doctorate from Cambridge, focusing on the history of molecular biology, the history of physics, and evolutionary theory.

After years of searching, in an attempt to look at the objective, scientific evidence in an attempt to disprove God, Viggo Olsen, M.S., M.D., Litt.D, D.H., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., and D.T.M.&H., (I kid you not, that is the proper way to address that single man) claimed, "The evidence was no longer obstructed. All we [him and his wife] had learned came together into a wonderful, magnificent, fabulous picture of Jesus.... I know it's true. I do believe."

The Bible contains nothing contrary to scientific thought. It is also coherent and logical. This is why the discipline of Christian theology is so prevalent among the church, as the coherence of Scripture not only has face value but much depth to it as well. Read into actual scientific data, and look deep into it. Materialism is the dominant philosophy in our culture, and it holds more weight than the actual science supporting it should allow for.

Having read "The God Delusion," I can safely say that it is some of the poorest scientific literature I have ever seen. Agreeing with me is Alister McGrath, with a Ph.D. in molecular biophysics from Oxford, with a who is an associate of Richard Dawkins. McGrath and Dawkins both are professors at Oxford. McGrath's book, "The Dawkins Delusion?" opens with an introduction praising Dawkins for his scientific achievements, "Since the publication of The Selfish Gene (1976), Richard Dawkins has established himself as one of the most successful and skillfull scientific popularizers. Along with his American colleague Stephen Jay Gould, he has managed to make evolutionary biology accessible and interesting to a new generation of readers. I and other admirers of his popular scientific works have long envied their clarity, their beautiful use of helpful analogies, and their entertaining style.
Yet his latest book marks a significant departure.... When I read The God Delusion I was both saddened and troubled. How, I wondered, could such a gifted popularizer of the natural sciences, who once had such a passionate concern for the objective analysis of evidence, turn into such an aggressive antireligious propagandist with an apparent disregard for evidence that was not favorable to his case? Religion to Dawkins is like a red flag to a bull--evoking not merely an aggressive response but one that throws normal scholarly conventions about scrupulous accuracy and fairness to the winds."

If you haven't ever heard anything like this, I recommend going and picking up that book, "The Dawkins Delusion?" It's a great read, and it will certainly open your mind and remove those huge shutters that are in front of your eyes, known as a materialist philosophy and culture, rather than truth.

Edit: If you want my direct sources, I used "The Case For a Creator" By Lee Strobel and "The Dawkins Delusion?" By Alister McGrath (and his wife who I'm spacing on her name)

#3:  Author: Bombax PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep, 2009
    ----
I am going to point out all the logical fallacies in your post. If you do not accept this, then you are not able to argue logically for your point, and if that is the case, then there is no point in arguing with you.

Quote:
"When you analyze all of the most current affirmative evidence from cosmology, physics, astronomy, biology, and so forth--well, I think you'll discover that the positive case for an intelligent designer becomes absolutely compelling." -- Johnathan Wells, Ph.D., Ph.D., who received a doctorate in molecular and cell biology from Berkeley, and a doctorate in religious studies from Yale.
  • Argumentum ad verecundiam - argument from authority. Because someone has a Ph.D. and a basis for authority it does not logically imply that what he is saying is correct.
  • Non sequitur - it does not follow. It does not logically follow that the "positive case for an intelligent designer" is a result of "analyzing all of the most current affirmative evidence."

Quote:
"While there will always be points of tension or unresolved conflict, the major developments in science in the past five decades have been running strongly in a theistic direction.... You can invoke neither time nor space nor matter nor energy nor the laws of nature to explain the origin of the universe. General relativity points to the need for a cause that transcends those domains. And theism affirms the existence of such an entity--namely, God." -- Stephen C. Meyer, Ph.D., who received his doctorate from Cambridge, focusing on the history of molecular biology, the history of physics, and evolutionary theory.

  • Again, Argumentum ad verecundiam - argument from authority. Because person A has a Ph.D. and thus educational authority it does not imply that he is correct.
  • Again, Non sequitur - it does not follow from "General relativity" that "[it] points to the need for a cause that transcends those domains.

Quote:
After years of searching, in an attempt to look at the objective, scientific evidence in an attempt to disprove God, Viggo Olsen, M.S., M.D., Litt.D, D.H., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., and D.T.M.&H., (I kid you not, that is the proper way to address that single man) claimed, "The evidence was no longer obstructed. All we [him and his wife] had learned came together into a wonderful, magnificent, fabulous picture of Jesus.... I know it's true. I do believe."
  • And yet again, you make an Argumentum ad verecundiam.

Quote:
The Bible contains nothing contrary to scientific thought. It is also coherent and logical. This is why the discipline of Christian theology is so prevalent among the church, as the coherence of Scripture not only has face value but much depth to it as well. Read into actual scientific data, and look deep into it. Materialism is the dominant philosophy in our culture, and it holds more weight than the actual science supporting it should allow for.


  • Base rate fallacy - You say that "the Bible contains nothing contrary to scientific thought, it is also coherent and logical." What evidence do you have of this?
  • Argumentum ad populum - argument from popular belief. Because "Christian theology is so prevalent" does not mean that it is correct.
  • Post hoc ergo propter hoc - correlation does not imply causation. Even if the premise "it is also coherent and logical" was correct (which it isn't, see above), "Christian theology is so prevalent" would not necessarily follow.
  • Appeal to emotion - "actual science supporting it should allow for." What evidence do you have of this?

Quote:
Having read "The God Delusion," I can safely say that it is some of the poorest scientific literature I have ever seen. Agreeing with me is Alister McGrath, with a Ph.D. in molecular biophysics from Oxford, with a who is an associate of Richard Dawkins. McGrath and Dawkins both are professors at Oxford. McGrath's book, "The Dawkins Delusion?" opens with an introduction praising Dawkins for his scientific achievements, "Since the publication of The Selfish Gene (1976), Richard Dawkins has established himself as one of the most successful and skillfull scientific popularizers. Along with his American colleague Stephen Jay Gould, he has managed to make evolutionary biology accessible and interesting to a new generation of readers. I and other admirers of his popular scientific works have long envied their clarity, their beautiful use of helpful analogies, and their entertaining style.
Yet his latest book marks a significant departure.... When I read The God Delusion I was both saddened and troubled. How, I wondered, could such a gifted popularizer of the natural sciences, who once had such a passionate concern for the objective analysis of evidence, turn into such an aggressive antireligious propagandist with an apparent disregard for evidence that was not favorable to his case? Religion to Dawkins is like a red flag to a bull--evoking not merely an aggressive response but one that throws normal scholarly conventions about scrupulous accuracy and fairness to the winds."

  • Argumentum ad verecundiam, yet again - argument from authority. Ph.D's do not imply a logical basis for correctness.
  • A red herring! Ignoratio elenchi - distraction from the argument - in this case you are addressing how Dawkins was such a good scientist before, and now he has become bad because he has presented arguments for something that you do not agree with. You/McGrath are not addressing his arguments, but himself instead - a form of Argumentum ad hominem - argument from the man.

Quote:
If you haven't ever heard anything like this, I recommend going and picking up that book, "The Dawkins Delusion?" It's a great read, and it will certainly open your mind and remove those huge shutters that are in front of your eyes, known as a materialist philosophy and culture, rather than truth.
  • Provide evidence saying that the materialist philosophy is untrue.

#4:  Author: Freecube PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Oh dear... Well, to be honest, I am glad that you at least took a high school logic course. Unfortunately, it appears you didn't do too well in it. Give me until tonight when I can get on my laptop rather than my phone, and I will show you the error in your correcting my logical fallacies (to begin, I was making about as much of an "argument" as you were in your first post--both were not statements to be taken as fact and both were lacking on evidence), as well as logical fallacies used by yourself, and plenty of actual evidence to support my claims.

By the way, I'm only going to actually make that reply to humor you; if you knew much about logic, you'd know that the burden of proof rests on you, as you made the first polemic claims (without any evidence whatsoever, I might add).

#5:  Author: Bombax PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Quote:
Oh dear... Well, to be honest, I am glad that you at least took a high school logic course. Unfortunately, it appears you didn't do too well in it.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc - just because I know logical fallacies does not mean I took a high school logic course. Which I didn't.
Argumentum ad hominem - you attack me, my performance in this non-existant course I took instead of discussing my arguments.

Quote:
By the way, I'm only going to actually make that reply to humor you; if you knew much about logic, you'd know that the burden of proof rests on you
Okay, burden of proof of what? What is it that I must provide evidence for?

If you are referring to my first post, I clearly stated directly afterhand that I was not supposed to be taken seriously. The next following statements are also logically valid. So far, I have not made any logical fallacies. I would, however, be more than happy to listen to what fallacies I have made which you can correctly point out.

#6:  Author: Fallen Youth PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
wo u guys lost me on the second post but im learning sum new words and yea....i agree the odds of there being a designer are low but so is the odds of there being ghosts and ghostie11 is here sooooo ^^

#7:  Author: Tomothy PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Yeah so I read Richard Dorkins' God Delusion and I think it's pretty poorly written. I don't have a problem with people criticising religion, but I thought he was offensive and inflammatory at times.

I also found his arguments against the existence of God completely unconvincing. They seem to boil down to, "there is probably no God because it's just heaps unlikely". What a joke.

There are better examples of skeptical writers out there.

#8:  Author: Tomothy PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Just unearthed an article I wrote on the topic many moons ago:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

#9:  Author: R3TRO PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
LOL

im excited

#10:  Author: Bombax PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Again, more logical fallacies!

Tomothy wrote:
Yeah so I read Richard Dorkins' God Delusion and I think it's pretty poorly written. I don't have a problem with people criticising religion, but I thought he was offensive and inflammatory at times.
Again, argumentum ad hominem - rather than addressing Richard Dawkin's arguments directly, you attack him personally by calling him "Richard Dorkins".

Quote:
I also found his arguments against the existence of God completely unconvincing. They seem to boil down to, "there is probably no God because it's just heaps unlikely". What a joke.
Secundum quid - hasty generalization. You generalize all the arguments he writes about in his book to something that is very inaccurate. In addition, reductio ad ridiculum: You present Dawkin's arguments with the phrase "What a joke" in a ridiculing fashion, as to divert from the content of the actual content of the argument, resulting in a straw man argument.

Quote:
There are better examples of skeptical writers out there.
Appeal to flattery - in order to illogically emphasize your otherwise fallacious argument, you praise other authors as to make Dawkin's writing stand out as especially poor, when it is not necessarily so.

#11:  Author: Tomothy PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Did you apply any of this logic to his book?

#12:  Author: EllyEve PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
In layman's terms...
Freecube wrote:
"When you analyze all of the most current affirmative evidence from cosmology, physics, astronomy, biology, and so forth--well, I think you'll discover that the positive case for an intelligent designer becomes absolutely compelling."
And these are...?
I hardly find it insightful to paste a conclusion without having us even sample the facts that laid the groundwork for it. The above is a conclusion, a fully-formed opinion, not a fact. That the speaker has a Ph.D doesn't automatically make the above a fact.

Quote:
"While there will always be points of tension or unresolved conflict, the major developments in science in the past five decades have been running strongly in a theistic direction.... You can invoke neither time nor space nor matter nor energy nor the laws of nature to explain the origin of the universe. General relativity points to the need for a cause that transcends those domains. And theism affirms the existence of such an entity--namely, God." -- Stephen C. Meyer, Ph.D., who received his doctorate from Cambridge, focusing on the history of molecular biology, the history of physics, and evolutionary theory.

A Cambridge doctorate, far from lending weight to the above quote, just affirms for me how a study of science doesn't necessarily make one scientific. I've heard of placeholders like "dark matter" for scientific theories, but the way I understand the scientific process is that you build on what isn't broken down-- it's a series of inching steps, and "God made it." is quite a leap from "spacetime, energy-matter transcendent".

You would know that "God made it" is making a claim, not questioning. "So what could be spacetime, energy-matter transcendent? Could it be pure information? Could it be a non-spacetime dimension that's very thin but infinitely long? Could it be something unavailable to our experience and mathematics, let's just call it sloop while we figure out how to figure it out?" Considering many options and exploring them as the next step. The nature of God (in the likeness of a human being, omnipresent, male, genderless, a single "force", a triple "force",) strikes me as far too debatable to be a solid enough next step. I could see how this very ambient nature could have God squeeze itself into any placeholder-- but my layman self wouldn't really consider that science because it seems to be working backwards from the answer.

Quote:
The Bible contains nothing contrary to scientific thought.

In Leviticus 11, it calls a bat a kind of bird. That's quite contrary to modern taxonomy, and no wonder-- the Bible was written long, long before scientific standards could be properly formed. Why is the inevitable gap between them so difficult to accept?

I would rather argue that the Bible is contrary to scientific thought precisely because it's more advanced than scientific thought and philosophy, a transcendental truth that, if seeming contrary to science, it is the fault of science becoming increasingly contrary to the ultimate truth. Not a fault of the Bible's cultural outdatedness, its dealing more with personal histories than hard data, or the fallibility of its writers.

Quote:
Materialism is the dominant philosophy in our culture, and it holds more weight than the actual science supporting it should allow for.

At this, I agree that science has a philosophical bias. Greek logos, which suggests removing a subject from its context in order to see what about that object is true. Eastern philosophy accepts that the truth of a subject relies on context and accepts seeming contracitions-- if this philosophy had been in the groundwork of science, maybe the double-slit experiment wouldn't have been leapt on by paranormalists for The Importance Of An Observer, if it were already taken for granted that this is how the world works.

There was a time where it shunned experiment and worked on a basis of Platonian idealism alone. Science progresses and changes. It changes its facts, and I can see it changing its own biased system so it will be something else in the far future. Alethics, maybe (study of truth, rather than study of knowledge) or Ascience (knowing nothing-- the true philosophy of the skeptikoi.)
Why on earth would you want to mix your religion with something so changeable and transient? I don't see them mixing. At all. I think you and Dawkins both epically FAIL trying to explain one by (or against) the rules of the other.

Quote:
it will certainly open your mind and remove those huge shutters that are in front of your eyes, known as a materialist philosophy and culture, rather than truth.

That's very presumptuous. You can never be certain what removes anyone's shutters. Or even if they have them-- maybe there's a log in your own eye, have you ever checked?

#13:  Author: Bombax PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Yes. There are quite a few non-jokeful statements that are logically incorrect in the book. However, the density of these logically incorrect statements is relatively small when compared to the density of logically incorrect statements in this thread, for example, or to the most highlighted response to Dawkin's book, The Dawkin's Delusion?.

In its current state, I do not think the logically incorrect statements prevent the book from being a useful and interesting read.

@EllyEve: Be careful, telling someone that they "epically FAIL" at presenting arguments counts as argumentum ad hominem. Instead, you should attack the arguments in question.

I appreciate that you layman's terms-translated some of the latin/english expressions I used. Oh, and "Ceci n'est pas un pomme."

#14:  Author: underscore PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Bombax wrote:
Yes. There are quite a few non-jokeful statements that are logically incorrect in the book. However, the density of these logically incorrect statements is relatively small when compared to the density of logically incorrect statements in this thread, for example, or to the most highlighted response to Dawkin's book, The Dawkin's Delusion?.

The portion in bold seems to be far from helpful. I'll admit that I haven't read Dawkins' book, but this bit seems to be praising Dawkins and taking a jab at your opposition's intelligence (potentially, anyway; I'm not accusing you of writing it with the intent of insulting people, but I can see how some would take offense) while not really supplying us with any useful information or arguments to back up this claim.

Bombax wrote:
In its current state, I do not think the logically incorrect statements prevent the book from being a useful and interesting read.

I agree entirely, though, I would guess, not for the same reasons. I feel that any intellectual work, whether its conclusions are correct or incorrect, is worthy of study. Either way, there's perspective to be had, and knowledge to be gained, by studying it.

On a personal note, from what I've seen of him and his work (which is a limited exposure, granted), I don't think much of Richard Dawkins as a scholar; I find him to be very much biased (and even insulting, at times), and I don't feel like he has adequately supported many of his assertions about God's non-existence.

Now, that being said, it's purely my OPINION, and it is based upon my current knowledge of the situation. You can peg it as a hasty generalization because I haven't fully explained every single objection that I have against his arguments, but it's late in my time zone, I have school in the morning, and I really don't feel like typing it out right now. If you feel like I need to explain more, please PM me and ask!

#15:  Author: Tomothy PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009
    ----
Bombax wrote:
Again, argumentum ad hominem - rather than addressing Richard Dawkin's arguments directly, you attack him personally by calling him "Richard Dorkins".

And I see that, rather than directly addressing my claims that the God Delusion is poorly written and offensive, you have focused on my cunningly witty put-down.

Bombax wrote:
Secundum quid - hasty generalization. You generalize all the arguments he writes about in his book to something that is very inaccurate.

Sure, there are other things discussed in the book, like the state of religion in America or a theoretical basis for the evolution of religion. But the only argument against the existence of God that I remember from his book is based on complexity and probability. I will however admit that my memory is not infallible.

Bombax wrote:
Yes. There are quite a few non-jokeful statements that are logically incorrect in the book. However, the density of these logically incorrect statements is relatively small when compared to the density of logically incorrect statements in this thread, for example, or to the most highlighted response to Dawkin's book, The Dawkin's Delusion?.

In its current state, I do not think the logically incorrect statements prevent the book from being a useful and interesting read.

The claims that Dawkins makes in the God Delusion are far greater (and the ramifications farther reaching) than the claims I'm making on this messageboard (simply that he doesn't have a good enough case to make the claims he has). I never said the book wasn't interesting, just that it isn't the best example of its genre. As to its usefulness, I can imagine a situation where it may come in handy... Need fuel for a fire? Paper for the lavatory? Is that too hyperbolic for you?



LD4all » Lucid Lounge


Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 11
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com