Controlling your LD's?
LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

#1: Controlling your LD's? Author: Clandestine PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2018
    ----
I believe that I've already had 2 LD's, but I had no more control over them than a regular dream. I've heard that the base definition of LD'ing is just being aware you're dreaming and does not have to include any control whatsoever. I believe this is what I experienced because I performed a RC and saw my surroundings more vividly. I became aware, and instead of the dream having a random plot, it was centered around me performing typical LD actions, like flying and giving out commands out-loud. After becoming aware, I lifted off the ground and started flying and hovering up and down. However, I did not feel consciously in-control of what I was doing and could not use any of my senses, like taste or smell, etc. It just felt like a movie that was centered around me and about what you would dream of doing while lucid. I'm not confusing myself with dreaming about LD'ing because I have done that before and it's different. When I was about to wake up, the dream faded to black, then I realized that my eyes were closed after becoming conscious. I've been keeping a DJ online and writing in it only when I remember a dream, which is quite often and more than one dream sometimes. I try to record every part and any details I can remember. I seem to have amazing luck having my first LD already, but had no consciousness beyond being aware.

#2: Re: Controlling your LD's? Author: Letaali PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2018
    ----
Clandestine wrote:
However, I did not feel consciously in-control of what I was doing and could not use any of my senses, like taste or smell, etc. It just felt like a movie that was centered around me and about what you would dream of doing while lucid. I'm not confusing myself with dreaming about LD'ing because I have done that before and it's different.


You say it's not dreaming about LDing, but all the previous descriptions of it feeling like a movie with no active control really don't sound like a lucid dream. I haven't experienced a lucid dream where I was unable to at least try something out of my own conscious intent.

#3: Re: Controlling your LD's? Author: Clandestine PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2018
    ----
Letaali wrote:
Clandestine wrote:
However, I did not feel consciously in-control of what I was doing and could not use any of my senses, like taste or smell, etc. It just felt like a movie that was centered around me and about what you would dream of doing while lucid. I'm not confusing myself with dreaming about LD'ing because I have done that before and it's different.


You say it's not dreaming about LDing, but all the previous descriptions of it feeling like a movie with no active control really don't sound like a lucid dream. I haven't experienced a lucid dream where I was unable to at least try something out of my own conscious intent.


I have read everywhere that the definition of LDing is just to be aware you're dreaming and implies no control over the dream whatsoever. I also felt during these that the dream was more vivid than usual.

Also during the time I had my two supposed LDs, around the same time of each other, I wasn't keeping up with my DJ regularly but I was still keeping the idea on my mind and performing RCs.

I don't know whether I was LDing or not now.

#4:  Author: moogle PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2018
    ----
Welcome to the forum Clandestine.

You are completely correct in saying a lucid dream is a dream in which you are aware you are dreaming. So if you know you were really aware then you were lucid.

I once had a LD where I wasn't sure and had to think back to inside the dream and what I was really thinking. I decided it was a lucid dream.

Once you have a few LDs under your belt, you can then practice using some control in the dream. For myself, I just appreciate knowing that it is a dream, can walk away from the dream scenario and make my own decisions.

#5:  Author: Clandestine PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2018
    ----
moogle wrote:
Welcome to the forum Clandestine.

You are completely correct in saying a lucid dream is a dream in which you are aware you are dreaming. So if you know you were really aware then you were lucid.

I once had a LD where I wasn't sure and had to think back to inside the dream and what I was really thinking. I decided it was a lucid dream.

Once you have a few LDs under your belt, you can then practice using some control in the dream. For myself, I just appreciate knowing that it is a dream, can walk away from the dream scenario and make my own decisions.


Thank you for the welcome.

I just had another LD which I felt most aware in so far. I never performed a RC in the dream but at some point, I just felt like I was watching the dream and then suddenly became aware. I don't know what caused it to happen. I started in some type of house. I wanted to leave so I jumped out of the house through the roof. Then I was outside at night, raining, and I saw a forest. I wanted the rain to stop and for it to be day time so I closed my eyes, thinking that it might wake me up because the dream seemed unstable, but I wasn't aware enough to try stabilizing it. Luckily it didn't wake me up, so I flew up into the sky and looked over a huge town... Then these random people (or things) that looked very blobby and unrealistic started chasing me. It was mildly disturbing so I closed my eyes and said in my head "Wake me up, wake me up, wake me up".

#6:  Author: Letaali PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2018
    ----
That sounds a lot more like a lucid dream. Congrats!

Lucid dreams also come in different "levels", I find. Sometimes you are barely lucid and still sort of tired/sleepy and not fully there to take control of it. But sometimes it's like waking up in the dream. Previously you were stumbling in the dark and someone turned on the lights. The feeling is quite unique and unmistakable.

#7:  Author: Clandestine PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2018
    ----
That was my most lucid LD yet. But now I'm wondering, isn't it possible to be so lucid that you have full consciousness, so you can think about whatever you want to do in the dream? And also have senses, like taste and smell? How do you achieve that level of lucidity? I feel that is the ultimate goal of LDing.

#8:  Author: Letaali PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2018
    ----
Clandestine wrote:
That was my most lucid LD yet. But now I'm wondering, isn't it possible to be so lucid that you have full consciousness, so you can think about whatever you want to do in the dream? And also have senses, like taste and smell? How do you achieve that level of lucidity? I feel that is the ultimate goal of LDing.


Yes. In dreams your mind can create everything you can feel/sense in waking life: pain, visuals, sounds, taste, touch, smell etc. Lucid dreams can also exceed what you feel in waking life, since there is no limit to the experience when it's ultimately "fake" (Made in your mind, not limited by anything real). So you might hear people talking about hyper realistic dreams and stuff like that.

How do you get these fully lucid dreams, where you feel like you are fully "awake" in the dream? Practice increasing your awareness and test different times for lucid dreaming attempts. If you get lucid in the first hours of sleep, your mind is still too tired to be fully there even when lucid. Or usually that is the case. I've experienced this tiredness in later cycles as well, then it's just unlucky timing and chemically your brain is not prepared for the level of focus and activity lucid dreaming requires.

There's a ton of guides on awareness. Just increasing the details in your dream journal posts already helps. Performing RCs increases your awareness of your state. Mindfulness is something that I have found to work very well. It's bringing your attention to everything happening in the "now" in waking life and not getting lost in thought. Paying attention to everything you can feel/sense, making note of them and letting them go without further thought. Normally you would not pay attention things like gravity for example.

After I had my first couple of lucid dreams and my general awareness had risen, I really noticed how I had been pretty much been sleepwalking through life. When you question the realness of the world around you and develop a critical mindset, you start to pay more attention to the world around you naturally. This is pretty much what Mindfulness is.

Edit: I'm also assuming you are using WBTB and some LDing technique.

#9:  Author: Clandestine PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2018
    ----
Thank you, that gave me a good understanding. I recently learned about ADA and I'm attempting it.

Letaali wrote:
Edit: I'm also assuming you are using WBTB and some LDing technique.


No, currently I'm just working on my DJ and performing RCs regularly. I would try WBTB but my sleeping pattern is unpredictable so even if I tried it, I might not even be near REM when I wake up and then go back to sleep. Also, whenever I wake up after being asleep just in general, I find it extremely difficult to get back to sleep.

#10:  Author: Letaali PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2018
    ----
Clandestine wrote:

No, currently I'm just working on my DJ and performing RCs regularly. I would try WBTB but my sleeping pattern is unpredictable so even if I tried it, I might not even be near REM when I wake up and then go back to sleep. Also, whenever I wake up after being asleep just in general, I find it extremely difficult to get back to sleep.


You do what you can. Just letting you know that WBTB is a huge help in lucid dreaming. If you wake naturally, it's almost always at the end of a cycle, which is good. But it doesn't even really matter what stage of sleep you woke up from, because WBTB sort of resets you. You'll fall asleep and start with NREM, followed by REM. The benefit here is that after those 5-6h of sleep, the NREM part will be a lot shorter and the REM part longer. NREM can make you forget your intention of becoming lucid, so it helps when it's as short as possible. (Although, in WILD you'll just ride through NREM already lucid.)



LD4all » Quest for Lucidity


Page 1 of 1
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com