Uberman Sleep Schedule - You only need two hours of sleep
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
LD4all » General Lucidness

#16:  Author: philthemn PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004
    ----
yeah, leonardo da vinci slept like this, and he was CLEVER!
I always thought the 30minute sleep was not every 4hrs but every 5hrs, this way you stay in REM throughout the 30mins. If you went into a deep sleep after 20mins the whole thing would not work!

Btw minefield, you are supposed to go without sleep for 24hrs before starting this shedule, this means your tiredenough to sleep any time of day.

Cya
Phil

#17:  Author: whiterabbit PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004
    ----
I think there was a post about this before and something about not getting any deep sleep can be dangerous, I not sure if I'm right on that but does anyone know? Also, do the naps have to be at 4 hour intervals or could you try sleeping at 12am 4am 8am 12 pm 6pm 10 pm (or something like that)?

#18:  Author: PaulH PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004
    ----
I thought the topic was no REM sleep was dangerous not no non REM was dangerous.. or maybe there was on on both of them

#19:  Author: Arthur PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004
    ----
whiterabbit wrote:
I think there was a post about this before and something about not getting any deep sleep can be dangerous, I not sure if I'm right on that but does anyone know? Also, do the naps have to be at 4 hour intervals or could you try sleeping at 12am 4am 8am 12 pm 6pm 10 pm (or something like that)?


Not getting any deep sleep for an extended period of time may be dangerous, but not much research has been done on that topic... I would not recommend doing this for the rest of your life. That's why this experiment is only for two months.

There are many variations on this sleep schedule, all with similar effects. The Uberman sleep schedule is about as far as you can go and still remain alert and functional.

PaulH wrote:
I thought the topic was no REM sleep was dangerous not no non REM was dangerous.. or maybe there was on on both of them


REM sleep is the sleep necessary to rejuvinate your mind. You will die if you completely deprive yourself of it.

Normally, you don't achieve REM sleep until late in your sleep cycle. The Uberman sleep schedule forces your body to enter the REM phase much faster than normal, by never sleeping for more than 20 minutes.

#20:  Author: philthemn PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2004
    ----
not having deep sleep is only dangerous in certain circumstances, such as if you are ill, or if you are a child etc.

As i said before leanardo da vinci slept in this way and he outlived his life expectancy, So it cant be that bad for you.

#21:  Author: Arthur PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004
    ----
philthemn wrote:
not having deep sleep is only dangerous in certain circumstances, such as if you are ill, or if you are a child etc.

As i said before leanardo da vinci slept in this way and he outlived his life expectancy, So it cant be that bad for you.


I agree that cutting out deep sleep in childhood or when ill is much more dangerous, but I have seen no research showing it is not dangerous anyways. There are people who outlive the life expectancy smoking their entire lives... I hardly think you can say smoking's not that bad for you.

And while I have read that Da Vinci did this, I doubt it's very well known to what extent he did this... and I find it kind of hard to believe anyone kept very good records of his sleeping patterns. Do you have any references to support this?

Just my opinion, maybe it doesn't matter.

#22:  Author: Dark Sider PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004
    ----
There was a Seinfeld episode where Kramer tried this and almost went insane! of course, Kramer is always insane... and that was TV.

:D Looks promising for LDs, and as for creativity I think being it causes the brain to be in low frequencies most of the time boosting up creative abilities. I think it would work great if tested on short intervals of time.

#23:  Author: Arthur PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004
    ----
Due to lack of interest (no one has emailed me yet, and the experiment starts in two days), I am no longer offering the blogs, sorry.

Also, I have an unexpected job interview on wednesday... if I end up with a job, I may have to postpone this experiment for about a year.

#24:  Author: Presence of Light PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004
    ----
Arthur wrote:
holy reality wrote:
jusst go to sleep in a library or something, i'd imagine it would leave you with interesting dreams and OBE experimental possibilities.


hehe, good idea... Just have to hope I don't start snoring or something.


hehe, I think people would understand, i see kids sleeping in libraries and... on benches, all the time.


i do want to try this but i don't really have time to adjust to it..... how many days does it usually take to get it to work, and then recover from it?

#25:  Author: Arthur PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004
    ----
holy reality wrote:

i do want to try this but i don't really have time to adjust to it..... how many days does it usually take to get it to work, and then recover from it?


I've heard it takes between 10 and 15 days to adjust to this... I'm planning to adjust over my winter break... Unless I get that job. I haven't heard how long it takes to recover, but I don't imagine it would be more than a few days.

Unfortunately I can no longer offer you a blog, but if you do attempt this, I'd like to hear how it goes!

#26:  Author: Presence of Light PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2004
    ----
well i'd like to do it but it'd have to be after i move and i'm not sure if have 15 days once i get situated, probably not.

no i'd only have about 7.... hmm... i could give it a try anyway... just i'd have to be sure not to drive.

#27:  Author: Arthur PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec, 2004
    ----
holy reality wrote:
well i'd like to do it but it'd have to be after i move and i'm not sure if have 15 days once i get situated, probably not.

no i'd only have about 7.... hmm... i could give it a try anyway... just i'd have to be sure not to drive.


If you had no distractions, you may be able to do it in 7... I think I actually almost had it in 3 (though I cant be sure)... but after missing some naps, and oversleeping a few times, it seems like I'm starting over from scratch again (sucks).

#28:  Author: Presence of Light PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2004
    ----
hmm... well if you almost had it going in 3 days i might give it a try, hmm.... is it okay to use caffeine to stay awake, or other drugs?

#29:  Author: Arthur PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2004
    ----
holy reality wrote:
is it okay to use caffeine to stay awake, or other drugs?


I would highly discourage this... Caffeine/drugs may help you to stay awake between naps, but they increase the chance you will oversleep afterwards.

You're putting your body through a lot during this experiment, I would recommend you adopt a healthy diet, and eliminate as much drug usage (caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, tylenol, pot, many more) as possible.

#30:  Author: Xgamer4 PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2005
    ----
Interesting. Doesn't look like you've posted much here though. I wonder why it was getting hard to concentrate later on though.



LD4all » General Lucidness


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
Page 2 of 6
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com