Dying in your dream

My XGF was telling me abuot this dream she had and cant stop thinking about. I was pretty shocked by it and wanted to post it here to see what everyone thought:

She is drivnig a cruise ship with her parents. There are three stearing wheels, one for each. But they are driving it down a road with a lot of trees, very rural area. She knows she is about to lose control and crash and a second later she does. It plows into the trees. She said she could actualyl feel the pain as this happened and then all the sudden there was warmth and a bright yellow light. She knew she was dead. Then she woke up. She said she almost enver remembers dreams, and never with any detail, but this tiem she rememebr it all. I suspect that is because she was in deep REM and since she woke up right away she could remember it. I am goign to ask her for some more details of it today, but wanted to post this and see what people had to say…

Lots of people have nightmares about dying. In fact, everyone does.

And yeah - you’re right about her waking up so she can remember the dream. The fear would help her to remember as well.

You should just tell her not to worry about it. If nightmares came true, I’d have been killed and eaten by a zombie by now…

Wuold she have experienced ego loss had she kept dreaming? If she were someone to have weird dreams and remember them a lot, i doubt she would care. I guess it sticks out because it was a strange dream and she rememberd (She couldnt remember the last dream she remembered)

why would she experience ego loss, just bcus she died in a dream? i dont think so.

Some people of this forum have reported dying in a dream and then it carrying on, with them going to heaven/hell/becoming a ghost/whatever.

It’s only a dream, and dream’s can’t hurt you :wink:.

I’ve died 2 times in dreams that I can remember. And I’m still alive :smile:

i have died a couple times in dreams. usually i wake up but one time i didnt. it was so weird. it actutally felt like i was dying. life being stolen from me and there was nothing that i could do about it. everything went black, and when it came clear again i was in a room with three other people. It was like a afterlife with different levels, and you had to graduate from one level to get to the next.
it was really interesting.

I have had some death experiences in ND; during last 20 days - 2!

1. I was falling to the ground face down with a giant log on my back. :eek:
  2. It was a big chase and crowd was after me. So I hid behind a tree and laid there until a woman with a pitchfork came and pierced me.

Is my (EDIT: subconcious) preparing me for death? :cool: dunno
But one is certain - I take thes experiences calmly now. I have always closed my eyes just before the grand finale and tried to feel what it feels like to die. No pain in dreams, but a strange feeling. Next time maybe I´ll remember to hold my eyes open as there is nothing to be afraid of anyway.

I like what you said about your subconcious preparing you for death. I had a dream once, that I was in a van, and we were aproching a train, and it ran right into it. I remmber thinking I would soon be dead.

I have had one dream where I died, about ten years ago. This happened while I was still living with my parents, and I hadn’t been to Bodø very much.

-I am in hospital. My best friend E is lying in the bed next to me. We are both very sick. I can hear a loud alarm, but it is impossible to move. When the bombs hits the hospital, I know we are going to die. A nurse pushes our bed out so we can get fresh air, before she has to evacuate. Maybe she thinks we might survive if we are outside on the balcony or whatever this is. I can see fire lighting the sky from the bed I’m lying in. E and I look at each other and make a silent promise to meet again. The fire comes closer, and in the end, all I can see is bright fire.

-Suddenly, both E and I are flying above Bodø. Everything is impossibly clear. I can see the town in unbelievable resolution. I can see the ocean extend far away under me. I am completely at peace. We look at each other before she drifts away. She looks so happy. It is like I have a memory of a long life in sickness, and it is an awesome relief to be rid of it.

I guess this one came from reading about near death experiences in a book. I still haven’t experienced that level of clarity in any dream after this…

Ive never died in dreams (that I can remember) but my friend gets hit by a semi (truck) in her dreams all the time :eh:

That is a pretty interesting dream that your ex-girlfriend had. I’m sure a lot of people would agree that hearing other peoples’ dreams is most the time boring. But I like that one.

I have never officially died in a dream. There has been a few times where events happened that should have killed me.

One that stikes me as odd was one of my world destruction dreams that I had. I was running through a field near this very typical mountain looking figure. The mountain then erupted with magma and the earth began to fall apart under my feet and I started jumping for chunk to chunk of ground with my girlfriend. We were able to jump very high, and while we did it we talked about ‘our powers’. Don’t know what happened on Earth, but all the sudden my vision faded and I was teleported to what was explained to me as ‘an island in the sky’. There was a lady dressed in a robe that showed that she was royalty of some sort. She is the one that told me this.

Nothing too interesting happened there. The place where I was actually transformed from that island to a mall, and then later it transformed into a school. If you have ever read any of my dream diary posts, you will find that 90% happen in schools or malls, and sometimes one transforms into the other part way through my dream.

Hey has anyone every been in a 1st-person dream and then switch to a 3rd person dream right before, during, and after you are killed?

Ive had a peculiar dream where I was shot on top of a big wall or dam. It was kind of a erie silence and numbness that followed and I could see myself fall and lay crippled on a surface.

Then for some reason I went into this purple-aqua room… (a bit digitalized) and I transformed into a small purple/aqua herbavor dinosaur. Then a purple T-Rex came and tried to eat me and other fellow dinosaurs. Wierd

Another funny thing- my dad also dreampt that I died by a gun but in a different way… Also wierd.

Yeah, I’ve had a dream like that.

I was slipping off a cliff and trying to hold onto plants but they kept pulling out. Then I fell and watched my body twirl round and round in 3rd person. I didn’t see myself die it was too far down.

The night before last night I got into a hawk’s body and crashed, saw that in third person.

I always die in my dreams, whether it be by a horrible SUV accident or a killer chicken. For me sometimes this triggers lucidity, since I don’t expect to wake up at home after I die. Death in dreams I’ve read represents change or uncertainty. Don’t forget that dreams may also be symbolic.

thats hilarious, that would have been hella fun.

i have yet to die in a dream, other than when i was little. im really excited though, because im waiting for a little transformation in my dream life, so i await.

I wanna die… Sounds fun… Jump off a building

You do not want to die! IT’s terrible! I saw myself fry in a eletric chair! Oh how I cried :cry: Woke up crying my head off. Same with the dream I had about my dad dying. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Also dreams can hurt! :bored: When ever I get shot or stabbed, it hurts! Then I wake up and it’s sore!!! :eek:

It depends on the person. I like dieing in dreams. It is very comforting. Shot, head on crash, eaten and falling, all very interesting ways to die, It’s interesting to think about the thoughts that went through your head afterward. It seems very realistic I usually think before I die “Wow, this is the end of my life” , “This is what it feels like to die.”

Of course when you wake up you realise that it was just a dream and that probably wasn’t how it feels like to die. It’s almost disappointing in a way because you know it wasn’t real if that makes sense. Not that I want to die IRL I just like thinking about thoughts I will never remember.

I think IRL I would panic a lot before I die. In dreams I am very calm about it. Based on my dreams I think being shot would be the best way to die.