Leap Years?

I was playing with the date converter https://www.tortuga.com/findkin/findkin.php. Why is Feb 28 and Feb 29 the same? This doesn’t make any sence to me because the extra day isn’t in the same place for the two calendars.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Sorry for not replying so long. That’s a disadvantage of having two moderators: they rely on each other… :sad:
Maybe, the cause is the fact that the question itself “didn’t make any sense to me” – I’m not a native speaker. :shy: As far as I can get it, the extra day IS in the same place. In the Gregorian Calendar, it has special number: 29 February. In 13 Moon Calendar, it has no separate name. Instead, one kin (22 Galactic Moon, Blue Monkey) lasts for two astronomical days. Thus, the sequence of days, plasmas and galactic signatures is not broken even in leap years. Certainly, it is easier to deal with the calendar, where the extra day is at the end of a month. But 22 Galactic was chosen to simplify the transition from the Gregorian Calendar. It does not mean that 13 Moon Calendar somehow depends on the Gregorian rules: they will just coincide, while the mistake of the Gregorian Calendar (it is not perfect, you know :smile: ) is small enough. In short, 13 Moon Calendar inserts the leap day when it is needed for astronomical reasons, while the Gregorian Calendar has strict rules, which will never change. If Gregorian ceases to mirror the movement of the Earth, extra rules can be added to it, like to any calendar, to make it more precise (Pope Gregory did it once). But the new calendar will not be called “Gregorian” already, while 13 Moon Calendar stays itself regardless of the frequency of leap years.
Leap year is one of the differences between 13 Moon Calendar (and Dreamspell) and Mayan calendars (Haab and Tzolkin). The Maya did not insert leap days: they just knew how to calculate the shift between the dates of the current 365-days “Haab” year and the “right” astronomical year. After all, it changes very slowly, and every generation got used to its own seasons. 13 Moon Calendar, on the contrary, is synchronized with the sidereal year, so that seasons don’t shift farther than one day, and it needs inserting leap days. Doubling the galactic signature of the leap day is caused by the wish of the creators of the calendar to preserve 52-year period of the original Mayan calendar.

Ah, Makes sence. So because the leapday is independent. It could be moved later to a more logical place if the gregorian calendar was thrown out?

I would like the idea of having the seasons go round and round. And the 52-year period would still be there.

excellent response ilana!

you are doing a great job.

with regards to the moderating, always feel free to just jump in with your opinion. i always find myself learning something new . Plus i don’t wanna bore anyone by giving my ‘answer’ for every question on this forum :wink:

Nick

One more question, The leap day doesn’t have a date. How is it displayed on a calendar? Does it have a special symbol or anything? If I was born on 29 February 1984 how would I displa y my birthday?

I’m not sure what most of the other parts of the world do, but in America, when someone is born on February 29 of a leap year, if they are born before noon, they assume their birthday as February 28, and if they were born after noon, they assume their birthday is March 1. This prevents someone having a birthday only every 4 years (would be quite confusing). This is just one of the inconveniences of operating on a calendar with an uneven # of days each year.

I haven’t heard of anything that would show that you were born on Feb 29…

I have created a Tzolkin date converter which takes a Gregorian date and translates it into the 13 moon/28 day date plus the galactic signature. My program also does not calculate February 29 accurately (just like the one at Tortuga.com). When I was first checking on why it did that, I came across the conclusion that leap day was not counted in the 13 moon/28 day calendar, but February 28th’s signature was used instead.

I’ll post a link to my program as soon as I get it up on my website.

Thanks for the info.

At the moment I can accurately calculate the kin up to about the year 6000. Mine has the same as a sideeffect it uses Feb 28 for 29.

What I’m after is how the date is displayed graphically.

For example.

2004/2/29

<What goes here?>
Year of the White Self-Existing Wizard

kin 91: Blue Cosmic Monkey

Hi Inchworm.

The way i would probably handle it, is to simply show the kin image for the monkey along, with the text - Void Day. This is how it is usally termed in the dreamspell. Though you can also call it Leap Day if you want…

People who are born on february 29th (my aunty is one such person), would celebrate their birthday in non-leap-years on february 28th, i imagine. (Galactic Moon Day 22).

Interestingly the Leap Day is always assocaited with the Blue Monkey kin, which is all about the power of play and illusion.

29/2/2000 -> 28/2/2000
: Blue Electric Monkey

29/2/2004 -> 28/2/2004
: Blue Resonant Monkey

29/2/2008 -> 28/2/2008
: Blue Spectral Monkey

Nick

Awesome thanks a lot everyone.

I think I understand everything I need to know. I’m going to make a dreamspell calendar for my Palm. I might start a new topic for it.

Sounds like a neat idea Inchworm!

I like it very much.

In Japan, they are working on integrating the 13 moon calendar into mobile phones as well, which is another interesting way of getting the message of the 13 moon calendar change peace movement out there :smile: Interestingly, i had a lucid dream once, in which I was using a mobile phone with the 13 moon calendar dates on it.

It had a scroll list: magnetic 1, magnetic 2, etc…

Nick - each day on the 13 moon/28 day calendar only have a possible combination of the 13 tones and ONLY FOUR Tribes.

For example, January 1 can either have Skywalker, Mirror, Night, and Star. They repeat themselves every four years, and follow the color progression (red, white, blue, yellow). I find this color pattern amazing because I can find it just about anywhere (day to day, wavespell to wavespell, year to year to name a few :smile: ) I didn’t realize this until you pointed it out, but I was quick to see the pattern.
edit: I also saw that on the same moon-day on the next year, the tone advances by one. these patterns are just great, they’re everywhere!

Inchworm - I’d go along with Nick’s advice. He knows the dreamspell way better than I do :smile:

yes Astare God.

That’s right. Those patterns/groupings are called the Earth Famillies. Each of us belongs to an Earth Family, determined by our Galactic Signature. As a Yellow Sun, you belong to the Polar Earth Family.

As an example of how this pattern shapes our birth/growth cycles, it is interesting to determine which kin your birthday falls on each years. For example, when I was born, it was a Blue Rhythmic Night day. Then the next year my solar-birthday was on a Yellow Resonant Star, then when i was 2, it was Red Galactic Skywalker, then when I was 3, a White Solar Mirror, 4, a Blue Planetary Night, and so on… You’ll notice that the Night, Star, Skywalker, and Mirror glyphs all belong to the “Signal Earth Family”.

I know what you mean about the harmony of these patterns. Simply beautiful to look at. I have a poster in my room, showing the annual cycle all on one big page. Very cool!

Another interesting pattern to contemplate is the way in which the Yearly cycle of 52 weeks, is divided into four 13-week wavespells :smile: This number 13, is very much a part of the mathematical principles of nature.

Nick

yep… I saw the very image you posted a while back… I knew I saw this pattern before, but I didn’t know where :smile: hehehe… thanks for reminding me where it came from!