Subliminal Messaging in Songs

As you may (or may not) know, there’s been plenty of controversity on subliminal messaging in songs.
When listening to a sgon backwards, you may get a rather odd message coming in (for example, telling you to worship Satan).

This site here has some pretty good ones:
www3.telus.net/jefmil/stairwaybackwards.htm

My personal favourites have to be
Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeplin),
I’m So Tired (The Beetles) which is damn freaky,
My Name Is… (Eminem),
Pokemon Rap
and Hit Me Baby One More Time (Britney Speares) which makes sense, if you take the music video into consideration (Britney in a school uniform).

The human mind is unique from others in the sense that it strives to recognize a pattern. A lot of coencidences are just that, only the mind trying to relate two otherwise unrelated events, here is an outstanding article on the subject having to do with sm’s in songs:
sciam.com/article.cfm?articl … 414B7FFE9F

Some bands even started willingly to put some “message” into their songs when listened backwards after this thing was “discovered”. I quess that mostly it’s random, but you never know :tongue:

It’s interesting, but it kind of creeps me out.

You should send that guy a copy of Geogaddi by Boards of Canada:content:

‘Sumbliminal messages’ in songs are just random noises. Songs are meant to be played foward, not backward :grin:
I’ve listened to examples of these messages and heard nothing but garbled noise. I thinks it just something silly that paranoid parents made up to get their kids to stop listening to Rock and Roll back in the 60’s and 70’s.

I like it when artists do it on purpose, just to make fun of people who obsessively listen to songs, just to find them. Such as Weird Al, Blink 182, and Pink Floyd. But when I listened to those songs, it just sounds so weird and garbled, I don’t like it.
It also creeps me out that people waste time trying to find them. :tongue:

Yeah, they did overreact.
There’s something on that site for the Pink Floyd one. I think they just said it forward and then played it backward for the cd, but it’s still really cool, because it’s (intentionally) very clear. Pink Floyd also did that Wizard of Oz thing which is something I wanna listen to someday. But the ones with the satan messages creep me out. I don’t know why, I’m not even religious, I just feel odd listening to it. Then again, I get creeped out reading about the ‘Old Hag’ on this site and reading urban legends on Snopes.com so maybe I’m just a scaredy-cat? :sigh:
The Eminem thing is pretty cool too, wonder if that was intended?

What’s that?

The only subliminal messages that I believe were intentionally inserted into songs are the ones that don’t make sense when you hear them played forwards. Such as the Pink Floyd example in the original post, which makes no sense at all when listening to the song properly, but then becomes clear when playing it backwards. It wouldn’t be easy to hide a message into actual lyrics, because it would cause them to sound strange or distorted when being played normally. With the exception of the Pink Floyd clip, I’m inclined to believe that all the “hidden” messages referenced on that website are coincidences. It might seem like you can hear a genuine message in them, but as sisokogotai said, that’s just the mind finding patterns and familiar sets of syllables in otherwise random noises. Still, they’re fun to listen to, because if you know what you’re supposed to be hearing, sometimes you can actually make it out. I had fun going through the examples on that website.