Where do you see Lucid Dreaming in 20 years?

In retrospect, lucidity as a medical and consumer aspect has evolved enormously in the past 20 years, so how do you see it playing out in the next 20?

I personally see it taking the necessary route of technology assistance to evolve as a whole, which then allows for users to rely on their natural talent as the technology becomes unnecessary.

wow, thats a bravely supposition, but i don’t think Lucid Dreaming can change most of the physical world so fast. I think the best way to go is someone to discover a device which helps people to enter LD by will at any time of the day. But ofcourse its still extravagant idea, i dont believe in it much. Who knows? :uh:

I think that more people will now about lucid dreaming, and there will be more gadgets and other “shortcuts” to LDing.
But not much more. Of course, people may know more about sleeping and dreaming in general and that might influence the way we think about lucid dreaming.

When technology makes it very simple to LD, the people who have trained themselves to do it naturally and have a greater degree of control will probably more respected

I think Lucid Dreaming will be known more around the world. I can see it being used for medical uses and other stuff like that. But the only thing LDing can do in next 20 years is get more known then it is now.

I don’t believe it’s going to much more important then it is now.

I think it will probably gain more attention from the media and poular culture, which of course will give it more public attention and lead to more people trying it.

I second that… It will take a lot more for people to generally accept the value of dreams, let alone lucid dreams.

I believe that lucid dreams are the key to unlock the secrets of the mind. This is, as of yet, the only way to directly communicate with the subconscious yourself and I believe it will lead to some interesting discoveries within the next 10 years.

Humans have been trying to explore reality since the beginning of time, and this is only the natural progression. We have fully explored the earth and space will not be the "next frontier" until many decades. All the popular entertainment is based upon escaping reality and lucid dreams are the closest thing we have to another world right now. Look at fiction books, movies, videogames or even the internet. They are all human constructs of an alternate reality. The only logical area to explore right now is own own mind.

I predict that in 10 years time there will be lucid dream induction devices similar to the novadreamer, but far more complex. It may require new drugs or possibly wetware interfaces, but it will happen. Once a simple and cheap device to induce lucid dreams hits the mainstream, TV will be obsolete. Once this gets popular enough then someone will design a network interface for the "dream machine" so that multiple people can experience the same dream. This will be the second renaissance of the internet revolution and will lead to great changes in society. Once this technology is widely accepted as the dominant form of entertainment, it will soon be used for business and educational purposes. The potential for education, therapy and rehabilitation are great and could lead to a much greater understanding of human nature. We are on the forefront of one of the greatest shifts in the collective conciousness and I believe the lucid dreams are the key. But until then, we wait.

cybereality

I third that. :smile: It’s going to take a few generations at least. Too few people are interested in it.

And it would compete with other well established markets. (computer game, movies?)

As far as it’s notoriety i don’t think it will much surpass things like mediatation or tai chi. I believe we may see a few more references to lucid dreaming in far reaching media and literature, but nothing thats going to make it household. At the most i think it’s going to be regarded as a hobby for enthusiasts. I can say i feel it’s more though.
As far as what comes from technology and uses in medicine i’d have to say it could advance if they got the right people and enough money together. I think it would be hard and take a long time to make a pill or machine that made you ld at anytime of the day but see it possible to maybe significantly increase the chance. I assume we can all agree that LD’s are theraputic, the freedom and raw sense of being conscious in an infinite expanse is theraputic to say the least.
Lucid dreaming will probably find psychology, spiritualism and entertainment as it’s best avenues as it is now but i think it’ll become more widely known in the entertainment category soon.

I think that in 20 years lucid dreaming will become as popular as yoga, meditation and tai chi is tody. Even beyond that, I think there will be some discoveries that go beyond ordinary lucid dreaming. However, I still think that there will be many who will continue to look upon lucid dreaming as new age fluff just as many look at meditation and yoga today. In the end, only time will tell, but I think we have only scratched the surface of the potential of lucid dreaming.

I think LDing will only become main stream if there is some huge advancement in a field that would realate to LDing, or if some movie/popculture/show ,etc covers the idea.

I agree with milod789 but only if what I previously stated is fufilled.

We can see this starting to happen now, with movies like waking Life, Vanilla Sky or the Matrix.
It makes for good movies too :smile:

I don’t know about that. In fact I hope that is not the case. If lucid dreaming becomes main stream do to popular tv shows and such then it will become just a fad that will quickly die out. I think lucid dreaming will become more like a religion(Though I am loth to use the term). Like meditation and yoga people will see real benefits from lucid dreaming and the art will become a medium of self improvement as well as a way to have fun.

Unfortunately life does suck and (at least in the short term)I see things getting worse. So like the Tibetan Buddhists, I think more people will turn to their dreams for a brief retreat from their daily lives. That may sound depressing but people will start to learn a lot from their dreams. Perhaps even overcome debilitating disabilities! The possibilities are endless. Even just the euphoria that you achieve from becoming lucid will have value to people in the future.

If an LDing drug is invented I can see it being banned by most governments around the world.

But I don’t think it’ll come to that. The few people I’ve tried to talk to about it are completely uninterested. I think the interest in it will slowly increase for many years, but it will be a slow increase.

Awesome, I didn’t really expect so many replies :smile:

I agree with many of you that lucidity has been given a badge of New Age hoopla, which as we know is not true whatsoever. You have to emphasize with those people though since they obviously have never had a real lucid dream :smile:

What I said in the first post about technology may have been a little confusing, but what I meant is that an user would likely stop using a system (lucidity assistance) for an extended period of time because their mind is able to achieve lucidity on its own just as well. Think of technology for lucidity as training wheels for a bike: you will likely learn to ride quicker with help than not, but either way you’re eventually doing it on your own.

I have been thinking about your post about media promoting lucid dreaming and I think the biggest influence on lucid dreaming has been the internet. Lucid dreaming has been around for a long time but has gained in popularity only in the last few years. I think that is largely do the internet and on-line communities like ld4all. So, perhaps the internet will play a role in the future as well.

i agree :good:

If you trust the site Findforward.com, there is evidence to believe the phrase ’lucid dream’ is actually growing less popular.

Take a look: findforward.com/?q=%22lucid+drea … &t=century

But I would take this information with a grain of salt.