Problem recognizing dreamsigns while in dreams

Now I have been reading alot about LDs and just got exploring the world of lucid dreaming. I have one big problem. I can easily see dreamsigns when i read over my DJ. Though during the dream I never am able to think very much, so even when i notice dream signs i cant get to the Oh im dreaming stage.
Are there any threads about this, i tried searching but couldnt find anything specific to this problem. Any advice from LDers who once had this problem or anyone is very much appreciated.

just a tip… what are your DS? mine are ovals and a part of my school. so whenever im by one of those areas ill do an RC… it should hepl with lucid dreaming. it will help you recognize dreamsigns alot more.

I have the same problem. Actually, this is probably the biggest ‘block’ you’ll encounter while trying to lucid dream, other than bad dream recall or something.
My advice is to keep at it. The more lucid dreams you have, the better you’ll get at noticing dreamsigns. You should also make a list of all the dreamsigns you find in your DJ, and perform a Reality Check in real life whenever you see one, that’ll get you in the habit of noticing dreamsigns.

I sympathise with ya, I dream of my cousins or uncle/aunt almost every night, and yet I still can’t get this dream sign to make me lucid (they don’t live in the same state as me). As Josh suggested, just keep at it.

All you can do is this:

When you wake up a realised you missed a DS, just tell yourself that next time you’ll recognise it.

Also, whenever you see these things IRL, remember to take a RC (preferably more than one)…

I’m still working on dream recall but I can’t seem to find any consistent DS yet never mind recognize one. But I do the same as you though I can never seem to be aware enough to realize I’m dreaming no matter how bizarre things are… I’m always like, of course there are aliens in purple underwear running around…like it’s totally normal

i’m having the exact same problem dude. i just can’t seem to twig that i’m dreaming when i do a reality check in a dream. Really frustrating, but at least i’m getting somewhere now - it’s taken me almost 2 years to just get to this stage.

Wow glad to know im not alone, most dreamsigns i have are being in areas that are like places i know but different layout or something. Also like last night i was with someone ive never even seen before. also stuff like places ive never been before, seeing celebrities, and last night this is amazing but while i was walking with a old teacher down a bridge he just started peeing as if it was the bathroom. LOL I thought it was completely normal but when we neared the end of bridge i was thinking he better hurry up, its not normal to pee after the bridge ends.(note i wasnt looking down at him just heared and saw a stream of pee i believe) Before going to bed i tell myself to recognize all the weird things happening but during the dream, i never do. I dont believe its hard to recognize as i hear if you think its hard it will be, but it still doesnt happen for me.

LOL! It’s not normal to pee after the bridge ends! Sorry it sounds just like a dream I had…I was telling someone it wasn’t normal to pee outside the tree(???) I love dream logic!

Noticing your dreamsigns in your DJ is not enough. As Sureal says, you have to suggest yourself that you’ll realize you’re dreaming next time you’ll see a dreamsign. The best and the easiest is visualizing this dreamsign and imagining you become lucid and do what you planed to do as soon as you become lucid.

Basilus, before i go to bed i always tell myself and visualize me seeing all sorts of DS and noticing them and becoming lucid. I really try to mean it the most that i can, because of what i heard about if you dont really mean it it wont happen. Do you have any other hints, all day i think about dreamsigns and have been trying to ask myself Am I dreaming. My main problem is i cant remember some of the time.
Last night for example i was in a really strange place, and i said the craziest thing during the dream. I was like make my dreams come true when talkin to a DC, though I still didnt remember to recognize or even look around or try to think back or any RC’s. Oh well i must not be remembering enough during the day.

Do you practice this technique for a long time? Once you catch a DS during a dream and it helps you to realize you’re dreaming, your dream memory seems to associate it with lucidity, so it’s easier then to become lucid with the same DS.

my problem is that i dont seem to have any reuccurring DSs, so reality checks are useless cause im always in different situations

Yeah I’m still woking on it, no lucidity yet, but I just try to remember to do a RC in relation to myself… no matter where I am as long as I’m there :tongue:

It seems very strange to me. Dreamsigns may include: people, location, actings, emotions. Then it depends on how you make your classification.
Let’s take an example. Supposing I ask you: so you never meet the same persons in dreams? and you answer: yes. It means that you always meet strangers in dream. It’s a dreamsign. Then you can do RC’s every time you meet somebody you don’t know IRL. Am I not right? :grin:

Dreamsigns also do not have to be reccurring. Maybe if you dream about flying cows one night, and miss that dreamsign during the dream, you can just say to yourself when you wake up, “Next time I see a flying cow, I’ll know I’m dreaming!”
You may never dream of the flying cow again, but if you do see something strange like that, you may become lucid.

I think you’re right, Josh Redstone. :smile:

I don’t have one particular DS that queues me into realizing I’m dreaming. Usually, I look at my surroundings. When I see something odd I stop. Just as Josh said above, I don’t usually see the same object or person for a DS.

I’ve seen floating trees before that was definitely a DS for me. Just last night I found myself on top of a roof. (never catch me on one in RL).

But practice makes perfect. Keep trying

thats true i suppose the other problem is that ive been told that the theory is that RCs get embedded in your subconcious if you do them enough and so you will dream about doing them but i never really do seem to get them to a level where i dream about them so it all seems like a futile effort