question about lucid dreams and rem

Last night I had a very vivid, intense lucid dream. I went to bed at 10:30, I just relaxed my body. I told myself i was going to have a lucid dream, but I told myself I wasnt going to worry about having one. I emptied my mind of anything that was on my mind or troubling me. (on a side note I recently got into lucid dreaming, and i have been trying for about 2 weeks with this being the 3rd time i was aware i was dreaming). Anyways I was lying perfectly still, and imagining myself at work. I chose this because it was the easiest for me to envision. All of a sudden I was jolted by a huge gust of wind in my face. I knew instantly that I was dreaming. This intense wind was blowing in my face. I wanted to go downstairs, but I for some reason I was afraid of what I might see if i went. I was in my brothers bed (he never comes home) and i kept making myself hover to the ceiling and back down. Soon i heard my brother at the door… He came in and sighed because I was in his bed… So i got up and told him I was just having an intense lucid dream, but i couldnt move my mouth. I thought it was sleep paralysis. I forced my mouth open, and instantly I awoke in my own bed. I was very exited… now the question.

I heard lucid dreaming occurs when you are in rem, but can occur in delta sleep also. When I woke up… It was 11:00. I had only been in bed for 30 minutes. This, by the way, was the most vivid dream I have ever had… I would say more realistic that actual consciousness. Did I go straight into rem? or was I lucid dreaming in delta? or was this not a lucid dream?
I was very excited when I woke up.

It sounds like you went straight into REM (though I’m not really an esxpert on Delta sleep :wink:.

This can happen when you’re tired, or because you have been lacking REM (eg. didn’t get much sleep the night before).

Not being able to move your mouth had nothing to do with SP. SP only affects your real body, not your dream one.

As for it being movre vivid than other dreams/real life, you’re not the first person to report that. So you’re not alone :smile:.

Hi ChadM,

I dont think you went into REM right away, although it is possible but doesnt happen a lot. As sureal explains only in some cases, however what he forgot to mention ( :razz: ) is that we also can have very vivid dreams in non - REM (nREM) phases, for example when we 1st fall asleep. Most OBE’s for example (that are LD’s too, and often people experience floating sensations in their bedrooms too) happen in this stage. You say that your dream was realistic and happened in your own familiar setting (house), this is all compatible with nREM dream reports. One more small thing, we don’t dream in delta sleep, (which is part of nREM sleep cycle too, obviously), because in this deepest sleep stage (delta = lowest brainwaves) the brain centers responsible for rendering visual and sound experiences are shut down.

/me shrugs

I don’t really know that much about nREM :wink:.

I read in EWOLD that in his studies he found people would have lucid dreams in delta sleep. I might be wrong, but I think I read that.

I do not recall ever reading that but, it is possible I could have missed it. When you get a chance, could you post what page it is on. I will also look tonight and see if I can find it.

An important thing to keep in mind is that Xetrov only said that you can not dream in delta sleep. Not that you can’t have consciousness. There is just nothing that you can do and you have no visuals. All you can do is wait until that stage to end.

ChadM I tink you are merely confusing delta sleep and general nREM sleep (which delta is a part of, delta is stages 3 and 4 of nREM). Read more on this for example here. It is true that in the start of deep delta sleep (stage 3) there can be still dreams as there is still theta brainwave activity, however these are often reported to be minor and in black and white. During the deepest phase of deep sleep (nREM stage 4) there is hardly any dreams going on, as most of the brainwave activity is delta.

I may be confusing delta sleep with nrem sleep.

Wow, Xetrov has Jedi mind powers.

i think xetrov has jedi mind powers

/me cracks up :happy:

would you say this dream was a WILD?

WILD is when you go into the dream without a break in consciousness (or at most a very short one), so from your description i’d say yes.