Bedroom with a dream theme? Any ideas?

My bedroom needs an update. It hasn’t changed a bit since I was 7 (I’m now 14 :tongue: ) I got rid of all my old stuff, but the walls are still baby blue and the bed still has a dumb looking comforter.

I’m thinking about designing my room so that it looks dream-inspired. Like maybe painting it dark blue like the top design of this forum. And I’m thinking about buying one of those clocks from the LD4all store. But I don’t think there’s any way to get the stars to look like they do on the design on this forum. They might just turn out dumb looking, like normal five-pointed stars.

Another problem is that the room used to be the attic, so the ceiling is very low, and I’d have to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls. It’s not your typical room. And if it’s all dark blue, wouldn’t it make the room look too small and confined?

I was thinking about buying some copies of these surreal photos from the art museum nearby. The photographer is so awesome. She recreated scenes from her dreams by taking pictures of different objects and placing them together in odd ways to create dream worlds. But I don’t know where I could put them. My room is very big lengthwise, but is short in height.

Does anyone have any ideas? For instance, how I should paint the walls or what type of comforter would look best? Thanks in advance!

This is a cool thread :smile:

My family nd I are building a new house right now, and I’ve been thinking of how to LD-ify my room also.
My ideas are to paint it a dark colour, dark blue, something like that. Then I’m going to paint a mural of the night sky, with galaxies, stars, etc. Then I’ll also have dark coloured curtains, and all my strange lamps (I have lava lamps, plasma lamps, fiberoptic lamps, very dreamlike :tongue: )

Maybe you could do something like that :smile:

Oh! I never even thought of curtains- thanks! I’ve been using the old Georgia flag my dad gave me to cover my window. I’ll have to look at curtains when I go to Target (yes, target, I’m a cheapskate = P )

I’m hoping having this type of room will help me remember to do RC s and the next time I have a FA I’ll think of doing an RC because of the LD4all clock.

I’m wondering how to get the affect that this forum’s design has. I think it looks so awesome, maybe sponging white over the dark blue?

When I was growing up my room had a slanted ceiling. It was really hard to decorate it.

Suggestion. Maybe you could make the ceiling look like a daytime sky with painted star like shapes using glow-in-the-dark paint. You could look at things to give you a general idea so that the decoration reflects you.

Sybill: I could do you a poster of the design, and then you plaster your walls full of those posters :wink:

You could print the page of the forum and have the paint store mix the color for you, or pick the color blue you can find that matches it most.

Then i’d go over it with the white (in fact a very very lightblue) i think a cloth or a sponge could do it yes. What you do is blend the white into the blue. So below you have a white layer and above it the blue, and then, you paint over the blue with the white, and smudge those strokes onto the blue.

For the stars, you could save them, enlarge them, print those and then use it as a template to paint in. You mean the colored stars, right? :smile:

Good luck, if you are all finished, will you post a picture? :smile:

Don’t forget to buy a XL LD4all t-shirt to sleep in, and the LD4all teddybear :wink:

No, not the colored stars, the actual stars for the night sky, from the dark blue design. I don’t know about posters, my ceiling’s slanted and they’d fall down all the time. Thanks for the painting tips. And I’m a little too old for a teddy bear, but I love that clock. It would definitely stand out against the blue.

I didn’t even think of a dream theme until I had my first FA and succesful RC last night. Yeah, I can’t help but mention that, it was pretty cool. I’ll post a picture if it turns out succesful.

I was thinking about using glow-in-the-dark paint for the stars, so that I can see them as I’m falling asleep. I live in a pretty big city where you can hardly see any. I miss Georgia, where I could see tons and tons of stars. :sad:

I’d rather not have daytime, because I already have light blue now. And my walls really need a new paint job. I was thinking about doing clouds, for a dreamlike state. But, my dreams never take place in the day sky. My most memorable dreams happen while there’s a dark blue, starry sky. And the daytime sky is a little overdone and too childish.

Luckily my stepdad is a carpenter and painter. He’s the one who turned a dusty old attic into a nice room, so he’ll be helping me. And he can get cheap paint because of his connections.

By the way, would a starry bed be too much? What kind of design would be best for the comforter? My current one is getting worn out and it’s all flowery. Maybe something with moon designs, I’ve seen those at stores.

Oh Yay! :cool_laugh: I love decorating! Ok, yeah the dark blue will make a small room look smaller but if you keep everything in the same tone it actually looks bigger. I don’t know though cause if the ceiling is low you might feel it’s even lower in a dark color…hmmm but all dreams don’t have to be at night…just an idea…I love the celestial patterns they have now and you can get a set cheap too, very dream like…My son has the a set and his room is dark colors and is probably smaller than yours. It’s like 9x9 but it doesn’t feel too small cause all one tone and it’s not too cluttered, So I go for it and see how it feels :smile:

If you or your dad has a compressor you can airbrish a light colour over the darker colour. I wouldn’t sponge, I wouldn’t fade the same way.
You could also use a rag with some paint thinnner on it to wipe on the paint, you can make it fade that way.
As a last resort you might consider spray paint, but the fumes and the way it drips would make it a bad choice.

yes, airbrush would be exellent! It will do a great job with the stars as well then. You can make very nifty stars with an airbrush.

I went through it a year or so ago.And im dream maniac so everything had to be fit to my hobby.
First was the bed - wooden one,no metal elements to prevent eventuall magnetism influence.Second was the matress- i had to be ordering it cuz they didnt have one ive read about and lady in the shop hated me i guess:)
As for the colour- i was thinking about dark blue but went for semi light blueberry(no idea how else you call this not really violet).Looks fine.
You`d need fresh air there i guess.Apart from good ventilated windows you might want ionizer- if you type it in search you will get whole thread about them(great help in recall).Note that salt lamps serve same purpose and gives nice dimed light.
I also made sure my bed has a nighstand with it to put my dream diary there,minirecorder and custom made dolly which fits the description of my dream guide.
Hope some ideas will come handy.Good luck:)