EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Hypnogogic Images. Could someone explain to me EXACTLY...

Author  Message 
Animahngo
Flying Rock!
Astral Explorer

Hypnogogic Images. Could someone explain to me EXACTLY...
PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Could someone explain to me EXACTLY what hypnogogic images look like?

sometimes when you are drifting off to sleep, you start seeing swirling colours, or faces, or sometimes whole scenes (like dreamlits), or you may find sometimes that whatever you think about appears in front of you as if you are really looking at it... this is all hypnogogic imagery, and the state is called hypnogogia.
also you may hear hyp. sounds, i.e. some voices, or noise, or even music.

Animahngo
Flying Rock!
Astral Explorer

Okay, thjank you. In that case, I can induce hypnogogic imagry (swirling colors) in meditation after, like, ten minutes.

samzen05
lucid lover
Astral Explorer

this kind of thing isn't for me reduced to just when I go to sleep I can see almost whenever I close my eyes or when I have a day dream

mystic
Dream Templar
LD4all addict

Hypnagogics should not be confused with phosphenes, which are swirling dots of light/colors often seen when you rub your closed eyes. Phosphenes often occur before falling asleep, and they can sometimes develop into hypnagogics. While phosphenes are usually restricted to dots and/or swirls, hypnagogics are more complex and occur while being deeper into sleep. Hypnagogics are characteristically correlated with theta brainwaves, while phosphenes are usually a result of stimulation of the visual system (like, by random neuronal firing in that area).
Hypnagogics can be extremely vivid visuals or auditory hallucinations, even complete scenarios. But unlike dreams, it's extremely difficult to actively interact with these fleeting images without waking up as a result. One usually remains a passive observer, but once one tries to interact with the images, everything usually collapses and one wakes up.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Or, if you're like me, you'll open your eyes due to the confusion of being able to see your bedroom with your eyes shut... I've actually done that a number of times...

Hm, once I seemed to able to interact with the HI scene - however, it's hard to tell if it was complex HI or simpley a very weak dream.

StEvE21
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

mystic, you said " while phosphenes are usually a result of stimulation of the visual system (like, by random neuronal firing in that area)."
I read this right after some relaxation/meditation. When my eyes were closed, is started to see the phosphenes. I thought they were random, like you said, but I kept seeing the same thing over and over again. The whole thing lasted only about 3 or 4 seconds, but when it was over it just started from the beginning. How can this be neurons firing randomly?

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Quote:
When my eyes were closed, is started to see the phosphenes. I thought they were random, like you said, but I kept seeing the same thing over and over again. The whole thing lasted only about 3 or 4 seconds, but when it was over it just started from the beginning. How can this be neurons firing randomly?

It's a good question. Actually, you can see sometimes repetitive patterns, for instance rotating phosphenes coming again and again, or a black area becoming smaller and smaller and when it disappears in the center of your vision, it reappears and shrinks again. This is probably due to the repetitive activity of a brain part near the visual cortex or the optical nerve, which is transmitted through neurotransmitters to them and provoke visuals. But there is still a random aspect in it.

Petter
Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
LD count: 5ish

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

When I try to WILD i get some flashes of light from time to time . neutral
It last like 1/2 a second , and is gone , I`ve heard a laughter once too , scaring, would be nice in a movie .
When you see it .
How do you see it ?
As trough "eyes" ?
or as a memory ?

And I hear music , but that ain`t louder than when Ihear a song over and over again in my head sadblauw

Is this signes that I get closer ? 8D

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

it starts by being just 'thoughts', seeing it as if visualizing something, but it becomes mroe and more clear, and suddenly you realize you are seeing it as if looking at it with your eyes. i don't mean it's 'touching your eyes', i mean with the same clarity.

print