Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

LD's drove my friend insane

Author  Message 
Cid Silverwing
Paladin of The Light
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

So your friend was hallucinating that he was in a dream. He mispercepted the surroundings...

n00dle

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

I agree with everyone disagreeing with me. *grins and keeps stirring the pot*

It's a shame what happened, yes. But just remember dreams don't have to be wacky. And if you were unable to distinguish dream from reality, then you'd have enough control of it to not make a mess of whatever reality you previously believed you had. Upgrading your conciousness doesn't always mean danger, but sometimes it can be. I hope your friend sorts himself (inside and out). smile

shatterspike1
Threadkiller
Dream Deity
LD count: Dry Spell

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Inch wrote:
shatterspike1 wrote:
I seriously doubt that, and i think that if this is true, your friend would have gone insane anyways.

A lot more people have mental illnesses than you might think. My uncle died as an indirect result of his schizophrenia.

I see no reason why lucid dreaming couldn't trigger it as Metabog said. But still I would think about it as a risk no worth worrying about. Worrying about triggering an illness you may or may not have will probably be more harmful.

Ok, i'm sorry if this is real, which i'm becoming more and more attuned to, and my orginal post was under the thought that you were an attention whore. we get a lot of them at newgrounds, so the transition was weird. I'm real sorry about your friend if this is real, which i'm starting to think it is.

Shikihe
Prodigy
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Ok all of those who want to have some understanding about schizophrenia you should check out this amazing movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268978/

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Indeed that is a great movie. I sometimes associate him with John Nash from A Beautiful Mind.

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

I think your friend was insane, and he happened to also be into LD. LD didn't make him insane.

sage
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

n00dle wrote:
And if you were unable to distinguish dream from reality, then you'd have enough control of it to not make a mess of whatever reality you previously believed you had. Upgrading your conciousness doesn't always mean danger, but sometimes it can be.

I think his friend's state was the other end of the spectrum from enlightenment. In a dream, you gain full control when you become lucid. When this guy's barrier between dreams and "real life" dissolved, it doesn't sound like he became lucid. It sounds like he got his waking life sucked into a state of dreamliness. Now his waking life is out of his conscious control. All lucidity is gone. He's trapped in a dream, and it's not a lucid one.

Some door shouldn't be opened if you're not ready. If you stare into the abyss, it stares back into you.

Cid Silverwing
Paladin of The Light
cookie lover

Well said, sage. yes

Goldsplinter
There is no Spoon
Novice dreamer

From reading the thread...

This seems it coulda been a gift to the guy...

I would like to achieve this state, and maintain myself enough to not Seem like a total NUT JOB to society... don't wanna be in a cell with padded walls siiw ... Like keep it under-wraps a bit. wink

But yeah, Wayne Dyer, talks in one his books in your life becoming Awake, and in the Dream state at the same time.

And totally agree with the observer thing(Wayne Dyer also talks about this). If your friend was just witnessing/observing what was happening to himself he would be a lot more chilled out and would come up with a solution to all of this.

ilovelucid
Lolscat
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

Do you mean that you could be in a constant LD and could control everything but to everyone else it would look as if you were just acting normal?

Sock Puppet
Con Artist
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

To say LDs made your friend insane is like saying video games makes people violent.

Spinny
Somniologist
Somniologist

A lot of people have already said things to the effect of what I'm about to say, so I'll keep it fairly brief; view this as my drop in the collective bucket of this viewpoint.

It's important to remember in all this that, although your friend's schizophrenia was based on LDing, the disorder results from real, physical chemical imbalances in the brain (commonly thought to be of dopamine); as such, if your friend was going to become a schizophreniac, anything could've theoretically become the basis for his schizophrenic fantasies. If he had been really interested in something completely different, like, say, the oppression of Tibet by China, and had never heard of LDing, he might've instead become convinced that every country in the world was secretely conspiring to take down Tibet and that every government official the world over was in on the plot.

As such, I think it's fair to say that his schizophrenia was based on LDing, but not that it triggered it; rather, the chemical imbalances present in his brain did. That's the entire reason schizophrenia is treatable with medication; in many cases, when a schizophrenic is put on antipsychotic medication that regulates the brain's dopamine neurotransmitter system (and seretonin, in the case of atypicals), their symptoms are frequently diminished, and in some cases disappear entirely. For this reason, saying that your friend's scizophrenia was caused by LDing is, though understandable, somewhat unreasonable. As previously stated, anything might've become the basis for the disorder; but the cause of it is inevitably neurochemistry.

Cid Silverwing
Paladin of The Light
cookie lover

Omfg, that's the most advanced talk about chemistry and scientific views on the body. eek2

painocus
Chooser of the Slain
Dream Deity
painocus has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 83

He did not go Insane becouse of lucid dreaming but lucid dreaming was his insanety....
That turnd out weard but what I am trying too say is that he whould hav gon insane anyway so if he had bin wery interested in someting else like a vidio game for example he whould maby tink he was in that game or someting like that.

sage
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

One thing about all this mention of chemical imbalances in the brain... I was listening to an interview by the head of the American Psychological Association responding to Tom Cruise's Today Show interview. And the APA guy basically said, yes, chemical imbalances are theoretical. We don't actually know if they're there, but the treatment works.

So basically, they're giving you drugs to make you not act a certain way. What's really going on in the "psychotic" mind, nobody really knows. It may have nothing at all to do with a chemical imbalance. ...Something to think about.

print