EN \ NL \ FR
Train your lucid dreaming skills:
Join the LD4all Quest and earn your Wings!
print ShareShare 

What is open-mindedness?

Page 1 of 2Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author  Message 
LRRH
LittleRedRidingHood
Lucid Initiate

What is open-mindedness?
PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Many people think that they are open minded. In fact, I don't think anyone would claim that they don't.

But do you know the definition of open-mindedness?

Without going to the dictionary or googling, write down your definition of "open-mindedness" and hide it with white font.

Don't read the posts until you have posted yours.

Literally, open-mindedness means having a mind that is open--a mind with perspective and ideologies open for challenges and changes. Being open to challenges implies the attitude of seeking understanding from others to Improve your own understanding and ideologies. To be open for changes doesn't mean that you accept all idea. It means that you must have the ability to think critically to evaluate the ideas you perceived from others.

Snape
Deatheater
Dream Deity

My *brief* meditation oriented definition of open-mindedness:
Maintaining a mental state similar to that of the learner, or when learning a new experience. Allowing sensations and occurences to be experienced without judgement and, if possible, without thought.

And I just read your definition, I don't think I was tooooo far off the mark ^^ (Though keeping in mind my definition was in the context of meditation practice.)

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

I'm sure the definition has been adjsted and fine-tuned numerous times since the origin of the term itself, but my very first thought would be something like:

I'd guess that the term was coined to mean exactly what it sounds like it should. To have an "open mind", if you picture it literally, means you allow all kinds of ideas and opinions into your head. You lend consideration to ideals that may not follow your usual beliefs, and you don't automatically shut anything out based on prejudice.

Larry Boy
Somniologist
Somniologist

Very interesting question.

I would define open-mindness as a willingness to accept that every worldview might be correct, but at the same time being equally critical to every one of them, even the one you believe in. Some people think of "open-mindness" as a blind belief in the supernatural or a certain religion. Since people belonging to a certain belief often reject everything but their own worldview, I wouldn't call them open-minded. An open minded person's answers to questions regarding the nature of reality should include "I don't know". Of course he can have his own beliefs (we all do), but he must be ready to look at them just as critically as he does at everything else.

Lebowsk1
cookie lover
cookie lover

Open-mindedness = an intellect unrestrained by arbitrary a priori assumptions. So you don't believe in something just for the hell of it.

Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity
Location: My body lives in England, but my spirit roams the wilds

Lets have a go

Believing that anything could be true, but not beleiving in anything without a lot of evidence. Having no faith in anything, only believing that which has evidence.

mystic
Dream Templar
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

My idea about open-mindedness:

The level of open-mindedness depends on the level of mentally attained readiness to cope with new, challenging ideas (which are antithetic to your own current ideas) in such a way that the outcome will lead you to deeper insight in life and your-Self, than the sum of the original two contradictions would ever achieve. The level of readiness depends on the mental flexibility by which you've opened up yourself to, proceeded through and learned from all your previous experiences in life.

Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

Open-mindedness is the ability to consider every possible belief and paradigm to be absolutely true, while at the same time considering every possible belief and paradigm to be absolutely false.

Or from a religious standpoint: Open-mindedness is the realization that your own belief in God is just as ridiculous as the belief that an invisible pink unicorn created the universe.

This is what I believe open-mindedness is. Open-mindedness is not the willingness to listen to other's beliefs. Anyone can listen. You are only open-minded if you don't bring your own bias and preconceived notions to the table. You have to start out on a clean slate, so to speak.

I'll be honest: I am not open-minded. Although I often switch paradigms, I always review new information with the current paradigm first, before reflecting on it with other paradigms. Clearly, I have some bias. So I can't be open-minded in the true and complete sense of the word. (Especially since some of my friends are more open-minded than me)

Last edited by Draginvry on Fri 18 Nov, 2005; edited 1 time in total
Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
The Chroniclers
LD count: Many

Well, here is my definition.....

Being open to the possibility of 'something', though not placing absolute faith in that 'something' without reasonable proof, and without discounting that 'something' as a possibility because there is no proof.

samzen05
lucid lover
Astral Explorer

I think I am open-minded this is why;

when I read some new information like on the net, or in a book, or in a newspaper, or something somebody says. I reflect on what I know and don't give it a bad or good score, neither do I give it a score, I simply use it as referance material in a discussion and let other people help me decide how good the information/knowledge is. I like to think about stuff coming from lots of different angles, one angle for me is lazyness and isn't thinking about the bigger picture. I am creative person and when I come up with an idea some things might not just work with it while others you could do with. But to keep this kind of control you need to be open-minded and to have the chance to make an opputunity to work.

if that wasn't long please mention it.

LRRH
LittleRedRidingHood
Lucid Initiate

Thanks for the responses so far.

There will be a follow-up thread that builds on top of this thread soon.

Taipan
Dimension's Eye
Lucid Initiate

open-mindeness = The knowing of everything, anything and nothing.........

(Three half eaten corneas......)

confused
2006 LDs: 7-ish?
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

when a person is willing to consider ideas that dont fit in with their view of the world?

dunno if that makes sense to anyone besides me, but I agree with the official definition. tounge2 I think I'm pretty open-minded.

samzen05
lucid lover
Astral Explorer

I was watching a film called:

its all gone pete tong - it is a bit cheesy particurly the first half but the second half is worth watching. I was thinking about it and the end is choice of open mindness nevertheless it is particurly good choice on myself for this portrayal as I am stating but I thought it was interesting.

I am just wondering has anybody seen this film ? and if so did they think how I have seen it?

A-Jay
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

To me, open-mindedness is the ability to consider other peoples opinions and views against an objective background, without using any prejudicides or quick and 'convient' conclusions.

Page 1 of 2Goto page 1, 2  Next

print   ShareShare