Rainbow Connection

Which music do you like the most?

Author  Message 
imm0rtal
Somniologist
Somniologist

Which music do you like the most?
PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec, 2002  Reply with quote

Just wondering which music does everyone like?

I like trance, psy trance, rock(Led zeppelin, Disturbed), and rap(Tu Pac, Busta Rhymes)
alien

chosenone-
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

I listen mostly to rap, hard hip-hop, some horrorcore rap like necro and Kool Keith (because it's just so damn funny "I put dirty diapers in your windshield wipers"), jazz and blues are favorites aswell these days, some Russian acoustic rock (very mellow and relaxing), minutely like techno, but like the phat bass in trance.

Pilot
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

DJTiesto's still the best especially live at DutchDimension '02, Paul Van Dyk has come up with some good and bad stuff lately, some Oakie although hes become strange, live sets are the best, raves are amazing but I've only been to one real one, and I can't stand most in the electronic because it sounds like videogame music or really lame. I just threw out like 10 cds out of my car, I can't believe I listened to that commercial trance crap. Besides the live sets I resort to silence when driving...how sad...if I only had some V8 or at least DOHC Vtec I could enjoy that.

chosenone-
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

Nearly everything is commercial crap these days, so sad whatsthat

ginkgothian
Somniologist
Somniologist

Depends. If you go for pop music, it's certainly true. But there are other great, almost non-commercial music styles out there. I'm pretty much into metal and rock stuff. My favorite Band is OPETH. They are very unique...but you could call it melodic progressive death metal if you want. They are pretty much influenced by 70s bands and also have a lot of very fine mellow songs and instrumentals. I also like bands like Children of Bodom, In Flames, Immortal, Novembre and Gothic stuff like nightwish, sins of thy belove, old theatre of tragedy...after forever, lacrimosa. I'm very open minded when it comes to music though. From time to time I also enjoy hearing electronic music (ebm, goa) or classical. But I absolutely despise those dumb satanic nazi crap bands...music has to be intelligent for me and I have to identify with the bands profile. It's not always the music that draws me away from pop music, sometimes it'S just the commercial aspekt that makes it unstandable. I pretty much enjoy 60th Hippie "pop" bands because it was still 'real' music. Today, there is a big music industrie that lowers the chance of good music beeing published because they spam the market with their techno, rap, pop crap studio bands and project. *** hate that....

anyway, music rulezz shy2

imm0rtal
Somniologist
Somniologist

I love goa trance btw.. and Nightwish are one of the best bands I've ever heard. I dont quite like death metal, perhaps In Flames. but nothing more.

ginkgothian
Somniologist
Somniologist

Great we have some similaritys when it comes to music, immortal smile
For me, goa is very atmospheric...i don't know why, but theres somehow a connection between my subconciosnos (argh!) and the music. From time to time I suffer from paranoid attacks, because of certain reasons. Hearing goa, puts me back in this state of mind, where the attack is nearly over but I still feel very afraid. It's very interesting because it allows me to dig deeper in my mind. It creates tension and a fascinating feeling. I can't describe it properly. It somehow provokes "natural flashbacks"...weird music..... eh

For "in flames": There are several other bands out there who play this style of death metal (Children of bodom, dark tranquility, sinergy, arch enemy, soilwork...) This death metal subgenre called "melodic death" or "gothenburg sound" pretty much differs from traditional death metal that consists of rythm mainly. I don't try to convert you to metal, but there is some fascinating music to discover. Especially Opeth is worth a shot! I'm not saying this as a fan but as a neutral and objective person ^^ wink

NP: In flames-dialogue with the stars

Soothsayer
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

I listen all great music, no matter what category is belongs:

Mike Oldfield - Great guitars, melodies and fine use of synthesizers.
Kingston Wall - The greatest, quite odd, but no one beats this one.
Kraftwerk - Legendary group, every album is very tight package. Great stuff!
Spock's Beard - Todays 'The' progressive rock band.
Iron Maiden - No explanations needed.
Jean Michel Jarre - The synth king.
smile

ulrik_tr
Somniologist
Somniologist

I don't really like putting a "style" or category on my music.
A small list of my current favourites are:
Antenne, Custom Blue, David Sylvian, Faultline, Fläsk Kvartetten / Flesh Quartet, King Crimson, Lamb, Lucky People Center, Massive Attack, Plaid, Portishead, Readymade, Tweaker.

Hypnodude
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

Soothsayer wrote:
Spock's Beard

Love that too! smile Too bad the singer did quit the band some weeks ago sadblauw

Furthermore, I listen to everything as long as the music feels real to me.
Just some names: Gorecki, Chet Baker, NoMeansNo, PJ Harvey, Sly and the Family Stone, Jeff Buckley, Tool, John Coltrane, Frank Zappa, Radiohead, loads more and - of course - my own bands wink5

chosenone-
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

Why do people listen to a bunch of guys rambling a guitar and yelling? I mean as far as music goes I could never enjoy death metal, or metal in general (except some early Metallica. I used to like Korn but that was a damn long time ago. I still dig deftones - passanger song but otherwise, the sound of the guitar in the extreme just turns me off :dozing:

Well, time to go sleep1

ginkgothian
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 02 Dec, 2002  Reply with quote

It's much more than just *** your guitar. Metal is a very sensitive & emotional music...sometimes agressive and full of anger, sometimes melancholic and depressive. Metal can also be very beautiful and asthetic...but it has to grow on you! I started with new metal such as Korn...but there was a point I had to go further. I just need this music emotion wise...metal is not easy listening...you have to UNDERSTAND it, before you really can enjoy "a bunch of yelling (and grunting wink ) guy"...as a matter of fact, metal is not for everyone. But its a very satisfying music for people who enjoy it...

(...and ther're a lot of metalheads around...especially in your country ^^ )

chosenone-
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

Yeah there's a lot of metalheads in Russia, but most of 'em don't.

There's just something that really ticks me off on metal, because I like beats, crisp-sounding lyrics and meaning.

And I don't like listening to depressive music because if I want I can write depressive poetry, anyone can, it's not hard. Depression is the easiest subject to write about 'deeply,' it is.

And goth, don't even get me started. Men putting on lipstick and having long hair? It's like all unwanted fashions coming back in one blow overspannen

ginkgothian
Somniologist
Somniologist

Beeing a goth, is not just about "men putting on lipstick". It's a big prejudges. Not every goth wears black clothing and puts white powder on. It's a clíche. And certenly not a trend in fashion! Gothic is a lifestyle. It is a retroperspektive and individualistic way to treat life. Goths are into dark romantic, they are peaceful and very sensitive people. It's just a very special subcultur...like metalheads are..

You're just touching the surface if you take metal or gothic as a fashion. There is much more behind :D

------

About russia:
I heard that the scene is still in the very deep underground, but there seems to be a lot of goths...i just searched after gothic at google and every second page that came up was russian.....

m2k961
Somniologist
Somniologist

Anyone here listen to Rammstein? Great band, even though i cant understand a word of german.

print