The Signal

The BIG "How to stay lucid" topic

Author  Message 
niksa
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

The BIG "How to stay lucid" topic
PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

<mod>This is the BIG "How to stay lucid" topic.
You can find a tutorial about prolong lucid dreams in the LD4all Knowledge base here.

Part II of this topic is here (clicky)

I gathered some, but certainly not all, threads about staying lucid and merged them into this one. Other (new) threads about this topic will be either merged into this one or locked and directed to this topic. ^^ </mod>

How to prolong LD?
When I get in LD I just wake up.
What can I do?

Aksel
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

I bet my money that you're too exited when you get an LD. Try to calm down and rub your hands (in the dream, of course) or spin around in your own axis.

Datameister
needs more sleep!
Astral Explorer

Make sure first of all that you actually believe you will stay asleep during your LDs. Think to yourself during waking hours that you WILL stay asleep during your next LD.

The overall principle of staying in a dream relies on engorging your "dream senses." Spinning in place (in the dream, of course) has been shown to be an excellent method to stay asleep. I've never tried that in my limited LDing experience, but I've tried rubbing my hands together and it helped. Try closely examining everything around you, filling your senses with the details. Feel the grass beneath your feet, listen to the nuances of people's voices, scrutinize the woodwork in your house. Whatever it takes. Just keep your brain's focus on the stuff in the dream. And don't get too excited!

Good luck.

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Plan to do something in your next LD. It must be something very simple, like looking at your hands or performing a RC or flying. The first thing you have to do in your LD is doing this. Then you can look at your hands from time to time, when you begin to lose lucidity. It's a prolonging technique.

Am I Dreaming?
I often ask myself.
Somniologist

spinning is good, as is shaking your head.

but you cant run out of things to do. i find if your just standing there, and nothing is happening, you will wake up very fast, even if you try spinning around. its like datameister said, you gotta keep "engourging your dream senses".

that can be hard when starting out because sometimes you'll get to a stage where you dont know what you want to do. you might have had 1 goal in your head, or you just wanted to become lucid, and when you did now its like "uhhh now what" and while your standing there thinking not doing anything, you wake up. have a plan of what you want to do.

and i also think its in your head a lot as welll, if you think your going to start waking up, then your more likely to wake up than if you dont think that.

Wyvern
Do a Rawr-C!
cookie lover
Wyvern has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: Nightly

I was just about to say that. Always keep active. Staying still for a while doing absolutely nothing will wake you up.

I like asking my friends what I should do in my next LD. Then I have missions. It's very fun. Like an adventure. Maybe you should write missions for yourself too. It will keep you occupied.

Sepultura123
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Yeah but I find it so hard to remember mission when im in a LD. I think about im lucid but after that... ''whhaaaatttt ??'' I just think about flying.

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Sepultura123 wrote:
Yeah but I find it so hard to remember mission when im in a LD. I think about im lucid but after that... ''whhaaaatttt ??'' I just think about flying.

Sepultura123, you should plan to enhance your lucidity as soon as you enter a LD.

MatrixManNe0
a.k.a. Sean
cookie lover
LD count: Please.

Prolonging Lucidity?
PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

Okay, I've been getting lucid dreams about 2-3 nights a week, so I feel I don't have much of a problem there. The problem is, when I'm lucid, I always lose it!!

For example, most of my LD's are interrupted by FA's! Is there a way to stop FA's or something?

Another reason I lose lucidity is that I wake up IRL. Anyone have any way to help out with this? Personally, I tried to stay unexcited in LD's, which I usually do...

You see, the problem is, I only have a string of like 3 things I want to do in an LD, but the problem is I always wake up, be it real or fake, which means I have to restart the process all over again (teleporting, flying to wherever and whatnot). How can you stop these things?

Yes, I do get lucidity back by rubbing hands/other things and by spinning, but I can't constantly spin around in a dream all the time, nor do I think I can constantly rub my hands. Is there any technique you guys out there use to prolong it?

Otyo
°¬°

Shouting "increase lucidity"/"lucidity x1000" helps for someone.

Night's Light
The Whisperer
Somniologist
LD count: 5

i dont know if there's any way to stop FA's, maybe if you say "i wont have a FA" before goin to sleep, that might help.

Current LD goal(s): To have any
TweaK
1337h4x LDer.
Astral Explorer

Make a habit of everytime you wake up you do an RC and until you have such a high level of lucidity by keep doing RCs you wont get FA's anymore. siiw

sirius)(black
digital dreamer
Dream Deity
LD count: a few

the usual dream prolonging techniques should work
rubbing your hands
spinning
etc

MatrixManNe0
a.k.a. Sean
cookie lover
LD count: Please.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

TweaK wrote:
Make a habit of everytime you wake up you do an RC and until you have such a high level of lucidity by keep doing RCs you wont get FA's anymore. siiw

Heh. Funny thing when I did that a few nights ago, I ended up doing RC's, but having continuous FA's (7 times, if I recall correctly). Unfortunately, my alarm clock woke me... sadblauw

Yeah, I've done the other techs for prolonging lucidity. I read on a different thread that as long as I'm doing something, I'll stay lucid longer (??). I shall try that tonight...

nightshade
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

For me it works best to think that my real body lies in my bed and everything only happens in my head. I know this doesn't sound like it works but it really makes me more lucid.

print