The Spirit of Giving XIV

The FA topic - Part II

Author  Message 
shotbirds
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 10(4 WILD)

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

1.) I guess it`s individual but how many false awakenings do people have per month ? Especially those when they wake up in the middle of the night , don`t realize they`re having a FA and fall asleep again ?
-I haven't had any in awhile but when i did it would be when I was napping. with one I did become lucid but i was very 'retarded', my body and such was deformed and i couldn't function, then i woke up.

2.) Is it possible I wake up in the middle of the night , have a FA , do a RC which is not working ? For example I try to push my hand through the wall but can`t do that ?
-Try something simpler (like holding your nose to see if you can still breathe) because you're still in the 'This is reality' state of mind so you might expect your hand to not go through.

3.) I wake up about once every night . I guess it`s because one REM - cycle has finished . Do people wake up after every REM - cycle . If not , why do they sometimes wake ?
-I hear we wake up around 8 times? in the middle of the night, we just don't notice it.

4.) Is it possible to increase the number of FA-s ?
-Maybe if you keep telling yourself you will. No idea.

Ebil_Score
opposite = underscore
Somniologist
LD count: 1Long/2Short

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

shotbirds wrote:
because you're still in the 'This is reality' state of mind so you might expect your hand to not go through.

I have tried to get into the habit of purposely thinking that I'm in a dream world, trying to spot all flaws in it, to try to convince my SC that I'm dreaming (whether true or not).

shotbirds
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 10(4 WILD)

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

I know what you mean. The same things happened to me. I tried to float once in my dream and i didn't so i never got lucid meh. Just try longer i suppose. I gave it about 5 seconds tounge2.

ChararaDY
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

I think I had a FA once . I went to bed at 8 am when it was already getting lighter outside . I fell asleep quickly and woke up . I remember I was thinking about my dream and then fell asleep again . Later that evening when I was filling my DJ I realized it was a FA . I slept on the wrong side of the bed and it was dark outside . It was about 2 months ago . Now I wake up at least once during the night . I do RC every time I wake but I haven`t had any more FA - s . Is it normal ?

And another question . About once a week I go to bed and start to fall asleep . My mind is wondering and I`m almost asleep . About 30 minutes later I suddenly think " Hey , I`m not sleeping " . I get up , make my bed more comfortabe and fall asleep quickly . I have always thought it`s strange but could it be FA ? Or is it really possible that right after I`ve fallen asleep I wake up ?

LD count: 15

false awakining
PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008  Reply with quote

I had a false awakining last night and i really had thought i was awake because i had a really scary sad and depressing dream about the end of the world . The people were standing in the middle of the street huddled up together and then a steamroller came and crushed them it was a horrible dream then i woke up (in the dream) to my sister asking me if i was ok i was sleeping downstairs on the couch and then i decided to make breakfast i made sausage, scrambled eggs, and bacon, and after breakfast i was even going to go write in my journal about the dream when the scene changed and i dont really remember anything else from the dream but how do you not have false awakinings?

Kitty
Everlurking
Somniologist
LD count: 19

false awakenings are annoying. grrr

Deimos Braun
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 3

I really do think I'd be glad just to experience a false awakening of any kind - at least then there might be a chance of going lucid or having a vivid dream I can remember when I wake up. tounge2

I'm sure I'll later reverse this particular belief, but...at least that's a dream sign I can make myself remember later on. :D

Kitty
Everlurking
Somniologist
LD count: 19

Not if you dont do an RC and actually think you're awake... Well, I guess that's why it makes sense to RC right when you wake up in real life then doesnt it.
*is stupid shy2
I kinda just answered my own point.

mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Well, I think you can't avoid FA's.... sadblauw

But what you can do is getting in the habit of doing RC's every time you wake up, so if it is a FA you'll become lucid!

Ethdios
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 2

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2008  Reply with quote

I've had one or two FA's in my life, but I don't really find them annoying... I think they're kind of interesting to look back on.

LD count: 15

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2008  Reply with quote

thank you, the rc is a really good idea.

I am dreaming!
LD count: 4

PostPosted: Mon 05 May, 2008  Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, I had a bunch of FA's as a kid. I always dreamt that I woke up and went to the toilet. Then I woke up for real, had to pee and thought "Huh, didn't I go to the bathroom five minutes ago? ...Oh, I must've dreamt that ...weird." It happened almost every day! tounge2 Sometimes it even happened many times in a row, I think.

Actually, I think I get FA's quite often meh
mattiasdavis wrote:
But what you can do is getting in the habit of doing RC's every time you wake up, so if it is a FA you'll become lucid!

Sounds like a great idea. I'll try that.

Timothydreams
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 20-30

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

I hate these things! Almost every time I get lucid I have a FA and it ends my lucidity!

I think it's a good idea to not only stay calm and stabilise your dream during lucidity, but also to remind yourself to be aware of FA's. Or even demand that an FA won't happen.

x Puffycloud x
High in the Sky
Astral Explorer
Scribes
LD count: 6

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

I've had two major false awakeings that I can remember.

One was after a dream that I wanted to record. I wrote it all down in my DJ and went back to sleep. However, when I woke up that morning, none of it was there. I realized then I had a FA.

The other was less realistic. I "woke up" to my dad babbling and my room llooked different. This led me too a RC, which in turn led me to an LD.

FA-s facinate me! I love how there are two poles: Really Realistic to Non- Realistic and also in-between.

Current LD goal(s): Increase length, talk to my subconcious.
moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

Quote:
One was after a dream that I wanted to record. I wrote it all down in my DJ and went back to sleep. However, when I woke up that morning, none of it was there. I realized then I had a FA.

That is how I realise I have FAs now. I look at my notebook expecting to see the dreams I had written earlier and they aren't there! FAs must be more common than people think eh

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com

print