Stopping Time

Author  Message 
Redifin
One Strange Dreamer
Dream Deity
LD count: 33

Stopping Time
PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

I had no idea where to put this! cry It's not relevant to Lucid Dreaming....But have you ever looked at your watch, and then looked at it like 2 seconds later and it's the same time? whatsthat It might not sound amazing but it always freaks me out. Plus everytime I look at a wath it's always 9:11!!! (Exageration but it happens way to much.) overspannen

Current LD goal(s): I want to get better DR and have LDs again..it's been so long!
Linko_16
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

Stopping time has been a fantasy of mine for a long time. Really just because I'd have more time to sleep in the morning.

sirius)(black
digital dreamer
Dream Deity
LD count: a few

mine too really, bullet time!!!tounge2

tunneltak
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

Aww, I wish I could stop time... neutral

Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

The instant I saw the thread title, I was expecting a discussion on this.

Linko_16
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

Draginvry wrote:

That can't possibly be any kind of genuine time-stopping phenonmenon. Yeah, the clock does seem to stop, but a friend of mine is going through cut scenes of a video game in the room right now, and I can hear it going at normal speed.

Must just be an illusion, or just your own mind being decieved by some wierd effect.

omega3
Generic Lurker
cookie lover
LD count: 200+

http://www.grasshopper.com/

This covers it well...Also has an article on LDing among other things. wink

Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

Linko_16 wrote:
Draginvry wrote:

That can't possibly be any kind of genuine time-stopping phenonmenon.

I'd be more inclined to believe it if it wasn't a black second-hand with black markers on a white background.

But if the second-hand were neon-green, and the effect were still there, then it would lend a lot more credibility that this is, indeed, not simply an illusion.

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover
TimeLess has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: hundreds

lol thats cools tounge2 idont know how it works but its cool. but a clock psh, thats just a way for us to measure somthing that we have created. we have created the idea of time. its something that we couldnt understand so we put a name to it and laws to it so it would fit in our minds. its these laws that we hold ourself down to whats to say that they even exist, bar only in our mind. once we realise they dont maybe we can stop it wink5

Current LD goal(s): regain my nightly and focus on astral
Linko_16
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

Nearly all animals have no concept of time or the future, but we have yet to discover the elusive clock-stopping shark or whatever. It's true that clocks are a human invention made only to sychronize with the passage of time, but it was time that made the clocks, not the other way around. I'm reminded of that old Calvin and Hobbes strip; just because your watch stops doesn't mean time does, too.

I read the "Why did time stop?" article coupled with that other one, and it looks like my second guess was most accurate: it's all in your head.

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover

Quote:
but it was time that made the clocks, not the other way around

how does that even make sense

Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

Linko_16 wrote:
It's true that clocks are a human invention made only to sychronize with the passage of time, but it was time that made the clocks, not the other way around.

I would dispute that, actually. How do we know that clocks measure the passage of time, and not our perception of the passage of time?

My friend and I were talking for about an hour yesterday about unusual events involving time. In particular, one time he completely lost concept of time while taking a test. He completed about 100 questions in five minutes.

This is, obviously, much faster than his normal test-taking pace. And it is quite an amazing speed, assuming you are actually reading the questions, and not randomly bubbling in answers.

In conclusion, I would propose that clocks aren't synchronized with some universal property called time. Clocks are merely synchronized with what we perceive time to be. But if we concentrate so hard on something that we lose track of time, we can seemingly do things which we, literally, shouldn't have time for.

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover

Quote:
I would dispute that, actually. How do we know that clocks measure the passage of time, and not our perception of the passage of time?

totaly agree with that.

time measeurement is man made. a clock is a mesaurement of time that we preseave it, who decided the make a second a second long..... the sun? good lot that did, what happens if there is no sun no sun dail? well tehn is there no time? no time didnt make clocks humans made clocks to try and measure something that we dont understand and put laws on it so we can use it.... instead of actually understand it. Now we have to devle through laws and numbers and break through a wallbefore we can understand and truly learn how to use it. stupid time

Redifin
One Strange Dreamer
Dream Deity
LD count: 33

Also look at Einstein he said that the universe is unstable. That everything can be nothing, and nothing can be everything. In short, he was saying what you think to be logical could be simply the mind's way of thinking.

I've been in slow motion many times, even so bad minutes felt like hours. Once me and my friends were swimming for what it seemed like hours and we got bored, come to find out we were swimming for a mere 30 minutes, usually we swim for hours. Anyways.

Current LD goal(s): I want to get better DR and have LDs again..it's been so long!
Stormthunder
thunderyness
cookie lover

Re: Stopping Time

Redifin wrote:
I had no idea where to put this! cry It's not relevant to Lucid Dreaming....But have you ever looked at your watch, and then looked at it like 2 seconds later and it's the same time? whatsthat It might not sound amazing but it always freaks me out. Plus everytime I look at a wath it's always 9:11!!! (Exageration but it happens way to much.) overspannen

If that's ever happened to me, I didn't notice. Weird things never happen to me. Mind you, I've been known to freak out several times in the morning when I look at my watch. I can't think straight when I wake up at all (brain's still in dreamland), and when I see my watch reading 9 o'clock my brain interprets it as 3 o'clock instead, back to front (it's an analog display).

Needless to say, I get really worried, thinking it's three and I've slept in all day missing my uni lectures. It doesn't matter how much I stare at the watch - my brain goes right on interpreting it backwards as 3 o'clock. Only when I start wondering how I could have slept in THAT much does it click that I'm reading the time wrong. And this keeps happening - I can't seem to learn! (grrr)

print