EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Do you have the guts to criticize a child?

Author  Message 
Sock Puppet
Con Artist
Astral Explorer

Do you have the guts to criticize a child?
PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

Do any of you have what it takes to criticize a kid when he or she presents you with a poor-looking painting, or do you just fake it and pretend that it's great?

Personally, I would go ahead and criticize. However, I still have this unusual feeling of offending another kid just because he or she receives negative feedback. It's the feeling that I'm being a jerk. On the other hand, it may be better for children to realize that their artwork isn't so... good. And most of the time, I prefer to be as honest as possible.

But I do ask myself this question: Are kids too young to face criticism?

yus_yus_13
Shitake Mushroom
Novice dreamer

I think small children are too young too receive such criticism. If you tell them you think they're 'picture' sucks, which it always will (I mean little children aren't really capable of doing many things 'good'), they'll feel bad, and probably won't work on this (Unless it is very constructive criticism, which I still doubt will help). If you tell them they're 'picture' is awesome, they'll feel great and probably work on it more so you can praise them more.

Just my experience (I have two little sisters).

Flanker
Somniologist
Somniologist

Personally I dont think that kids can accept constructive criticism in a way adults do, not even every adult can take criticism in a healthy way.
Its much better to encourage a child to paint more pictures than to tell them it sucks, even if you tell them in a polite manner...

jagsaw
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

I just go, 'IT'S AWESOME!!' and act all enthusiastic.

That way (theoretically), they'll be spurred on to paint more pictures and through that practice, actually get good. But I leave constuctive criticism for people who I know can take it. Like my friends, if they ask me how they think their painting's going (in art class), I'll just suggest a couple of things I think would make it better, like, "perhaps you could like put more stuff in the background to make it look less bare." or something.

USELESS FACT #1:
Actually my painting that time... they all took the mickey because I started off painting with primary colours, so my painting looked orange. ok, it WAS orange. But I just went and ignored what they said and done what I had planned to do - the orange was for shadows, I had the layers of paint on top translucent - and then they were all saying it was good.

Olesia
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

I agree with Flanker, a kid won't see critisism the way an adult will, and I think that can damage a kid's self esteem a lot. If you tell them their painting sucks, maybe they won't even paint again, and there will be no chance of improvement.

I just think a kid will be more hurt than thankful for constructive critisism. Kids don't think like adults do, they don't have that "it's better for me in the long run" kind of thinking developed.

*Olesia remembers one time when she was playing checkers with her father, and her mother saw a great move but wouldn't tell her what the move was... I was offended for like years, I couldn't understand why my own mother refused to help me out!

DayLight
RIP Albert Hofmann
cookie lover
LD count: ?

If a kid paints someting and is to young to paint well, I would just say it was good. If they are old enough to develop artistically, and they do not, and their paintings are bad, I would not criticize, but I would definatly not tell them it was good.
"Oh, that's neat, but painting is not for everyone. maybe you should play the guitar."

When I first saw this I thought it was about this:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=irule
lach1

painocus
Chooser of the Slain
Dream Deity
painocus has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 83

Re: Do you have the guts to criticize a child?

Darq Romantic wrote:
Do any of you have what it takes to criticize a kid when he or she presents you with a poor-looking painting, or do you just fake it and pretend that it's great?

Wow, that scenario NEVER happened to me!
(The kids are afraid of me tumbsuplinkswitteduim

Painocus: Hi, kids wanna show me your drawings, before my dog rips you soul apart and sends you to the dark, flaming mushroom death? wink
Kids: crazy )

Mohegan
Mond Tanz
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

As someone who used to work in a school with kids, I can say one simple thing.

There is no such thing as being too young to paint well. To really judge an image a child has done, you NEED to know the child and their abilities. Unlike an adult where you can look at an image and have an opinion about the painting and skill, a child is much different.

A child is not only still learning, but they express themselves differently both artistically and verbally. Anyone who has a much younger sibling may even remember times when they have seen something and rather than saying "oh, doesn't that look nice!" They may compare it to other things they like or know of.

To the observer this would seem weird as to why a child was saying strawberry while pointing at an aeroplane, but they do, because that is how they express themselves.

So you do need to know the child, to understand how well that child has truly done.

To criticise a child's work will only harm that child's self-esteem, it will not help them at all. Even constructive criticism can be taken the wrong way, as a child will not understand just why you don't like something or why you are saying it's rubbish.

If you really want to help a child improve, make a suggestion like: Hey, I really like this bit. I wonder what it would look like if you did "x" instead.

While they may not do it next time they draw, it will be in their mind and putting it out as a question may peek the child's curiosity and they may just try it and see.

Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover

DayLight wrote:

When I first saw this I thought it was about this:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=irule
lach1

Yeah, so did I..

Personally i prefer the "Beat you kids" article Better.

I laugh so hard when i read it

The "One, two, shut the hell up! lach2

On topic, I wouldn't criticize a kid's art, unless..

1) He is cocky about it (aka: YeAH I AM SO MUCH BETTER THEN YOU! An example of this is one time i found out my friend's little brother's friend ( crazy ) played piano. I asked him how long he has been playing and he responded "well, i bet i'm better then YOU!" )

2) i feel like really, and i mean REALLY being a total jerk. This has not happened... yet...

mezz
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

I am undecided on how to react to children's work. I do want to keep them motivated to learn how to do it better, but I see so many of my peers that are completely unable to handle criticism. They think that everything they do is the best, and instead of fixing their work or trying to get better through criticism, they become hostile. I think that this mindset stems from reactions to their work as children.

whispa
no surprises please
cookie lover

Interesting question.

Personally i don't find it easy to criticise anyone, even constructive critisism. I fear confrontation too much.

When my younger cousins showed me drawings, I just commented on the bits i honestly thought looked good. Actually, the eldest, once he reached 10 he could draw better than me lach1, so it wouldn't be fair to criticise him in a subject i'm very poor at.

I think you should only judge a childs work by comparing it to previous things they themselves have done. Because individuals have different styles and some learn quicker than others. Say "The trees in this picture look better than in the last one, You're really improving" Comments like that would be encouraging and help them understand what their strengths and weaknesses are.

If the child is a relation and you don't like any part of their drawing, i don't think telling them that would be very helpful. Because your opinion which is most important to the child, is just one of many.

Huey
Chocolate Face
cookie lover
LD count: More than you

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

Only if they have the guts to criticize me tounge2

No...there's art in everything, and every person's got their own way of expressing it smile

(And if that wasn't smultzy enough for ya, then forget it, I agree with all of ya rolleyes )

Genkai
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

I'd try to tell them how their "art" isn't so magnificent, but that they can get better the more they practice. If they were enthusiastic abouth their latest crayola monstrosity, I'd gladly give them the gift of humility in the form of a truthful talking-to.

littlewitch
Sleepy Dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Big fat zilch

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2007  Reply with quote

It IS great. All art is beautiful, especially made by young children. It's beautiful in it's own special way.

HurricaneAK
Daydreamer
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2007  Reply with quote

I can't criticize, because I don't think there really is anything to criticize. It's kind of capturing the happiness and innocence a young child feels into a picture. Sometimes I smile, laugh and say that it's great. I ask what these shapes are, and they usually are really excited telling me what it is. Other times I try and recommend and teach them how to draw a bit better (although I'm terrible at drawing) and they're usually excited for all of the attention the can get. ^^

I really think that inspiring them and giving them more excitement and enjoyment for what they did can progress them as an artist. They'll develop their skills naturally and as they age I can slowly criticize how they draw.

print